1st year DO to PA?

I'm a first year DO student and have thought about switching to a PA program (my school has a PA program also). I don't even know if this is possible, and I'm sure I would have to start at year one. I have barely any HCE, didn't take A&P in college.  I'm doing fine academically, the reason I'm thinking about this is that I am beginning to realize that I can't really function well on less than 7 hours of sleep, and have no idea how I would survive residency. Any advice on this situation? 

I'm a first year DO student and have thought about switching to a PA program (my school has a PA program also). I don't even know if this is possible, and I'm sure I would have to start at year one. I have barely any HCE, didn't take A&P in college.  I'm doing fine academically, the reason I'm thinking about this is that I am beginning to realize that I can't really function well on less than 7 hours of sleep, and have no idea how I would survive residency. Any advice on this situation? 

If you think you're going to average 7 hours of sleep in PA school you have been terribly misinformed. You will get even less sleep as a PA student.  I'm a second year PA student right now, and I am currently averaging 100 hours a week on my surgery rotation. Stay in med school. It'll pay off.

Stay the course. OMS 1 & 2 are brutal. Once you survive basic sciences which are OMS 1& 2, OMS 3 & 4 aren't bad at all. Is like going to work except for when you'll be studying for the steps. For residency training, PGY1 & 2 are brutal. PGY 3 & up aren't bad. PGY 3 up - you're senior resident & responsible or helping to train intern/junior resident. The 60 + mandatory work hrs per wk doesn't apply across the board. It's important to note that it's residency program dependent (surgical vs non surgical specialty). Believe me, you'll be glad you stay the course at the end.

I am beginning to realize that I can't really function well on less than 7 hours of sleep

Wow.  Just wow. 

Maybe you shouldn't open up to people you don't know about your lack of intestinal fortitude and fear, then suggest that it precludes you from becoming a doctor but will be just fine in PA school.

I can guarantee you from personal experience, you would be JUST FINE on 7 hours of sleep in an entire WEEK, let alone a NIGHT. 

Suck it up already.

If you really want to peg the FUN-O-METER at max, have your first child during the first semester of PA school like I did....  I gotta say though, as difficult as that was, It was and continues to be a walk in the park compared to my time deployed in the middle east. Dig in brother (or sister,) and you will do fine. Remember why you went into this, and take it one day at a time. Before you know it, you'll be hamming it up as an OMS IV.

I'm only pre-PA, but I have had a sleep disorder diagnosed and successfully treated before.  A lot of people don't know how hard it is to function on poor quality sleep.  Most people assume that you're lazy and have a grand time insulting you - apparently, even medically trained folks here - not that they would do that if you were a patient presenting with excessive daytime sleepiness...  I would strongly recommend that you see a medical professional - get a physical (are you anemic? low vit D?), sleep study (apnea, RLS, narcolepsy?), nutrition consult (poor diet?), etc. and do what it takes to get this addressed by a medical professional who will take you seriously.  Keep a sleep and diet diary and take it in with you.

I function regularly on <4 hrs now when 12+ wasn't enough before treatment.

• Administrator

Prioritize sleep over studying, you'll study more and better if you're "that guy" who doesn't work well on less than a full night of sleep.  There's a lot of machismo about sleep deprivation around here and in medicine in general, and PAs are as infected with it as physicians.

When you get into residency, and you can, be sure to log your hours carefully and make it clear you won't put up with violations of conditions of work that the program has agreed to.  No, you won't see as much as those who ignore the safeguards, but you will be able to live with the amount of sleep you get.

Good luck getting into PA school by explaining how you wanted to be a DO but just needed more sleep so decided to take the easier route. PA schools don't think of the profession as a good career for physician wannabes who couldn't hack it. It's time to grow up, grasshopper. Buck up, and get back to work. You are burning daylight with this post when you could be studying, or sleeping.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk 2

Archived