New grad hospitalist offer, is this reasonable?

I'm a new PA grad with a couple of offers out there and I'm having trouble following my gut vs being realistic about the $100k in debt I've accumulated, and the Uncle Sam gravy train of student loans has long since dried up in my job hunt.

The benefits between the two offers are very comparable in terms of health insurance, CME, PTO, 401k, moving expenses, etc.

The first one is a hospitalist position, which is my dream job. Team seems awesome. They have a set 90 day training period with a list of topics to be covered and checked off on. I will be able to attend the resident conferences and case discussions. Schedule is M-F 8-5, 1:3 weekends with 2 days of comp time following a weekend worked. Only issue is that things have been pretty slow with getting the offer after the interview, paperwork, etc. I could see it being 2-3 months before I could start, and they have only offered me $75k as a starting salary. The team didn't have much to do with this, it was just some HR person who calculates the offer based on my experience (which they are counting as none although I did work as a CNA inpatient for 2 years and in home health for 2 years). Probably not much room to budge since it is a large organization and it's not the team making the call. I inquired a little further and HR estimated a 3% salary raise annually. There is also no contract obligating me to x years of service.

The second offer is a  fast care/family med float position. I'm not above fast care, I think it would be good initial experience, but I also really like to be challenged and work things up. There is a high potential that I could move on to a 100% family med position relatively quickly, and I do really like the counseling and continuity aspects of primary care. They also seem like a great team to work with.They have offered me $85k base salary plus RVU incentives. They are also a lower-scoring HPSA so there is potential for NHSC loan repayment. They are willing to move things along quickly for me and I could probably start in a month or so. Contract will be for a year.

Is the $75k salary offered for the PA hospitalist position as a new grad on par with everyone else's experiences out there? I do feel that it is a little low compared to the AAPA salary report numbers, but I do understand there will be a significant investment on their part in my education and training until I'm up to speed. However, it would take me 5 years of working there just to get up to the $85k that the fast care/PC position is offering me. Any words of wisdom?

Disclaimer: Current PA student, not yet in the workforce.

Are health care organizations like these usually pretty firm on their pay raise schedules?  If you're starting at 75, that 3% annual raise seems kind of iffy to me.  Unless, that is, you can negotiate after a year for a higher salary (which would recognize your new skill set) and then subsequently follow the normal pay raise schedule.  Besides the pay, the training sounds truly ideal.  I would be pretty excited to go through such regimented development on the job.

Good luck with your decision.

Hello, new grad hospitalist. I really don't have direct advice for you except to mention that you may or may not have a non-compete that might make option 3 not really an option.

In the meantime, for now or future decisions, you may want to check out our 2013 Compensation & Career Guide, which provides some information on compensation, incentives, bonuses etc. The free report is accessible via http://bit.ly/2013resultssurvey

Good luck with your chosen career.

Jodi/Today's Hospitalist

noncompetes are geographical, usually within 25 miles or so. they wouldn't prevent you from taking a job in another state for example. I have one at my primary job. says I can't work for another hospital em group in the same county. there is only one other facility and they don't use pas so it's a non-issue.

also my understanding is that they are hard to enforce unless they want to spend big bucks to sue someone who already left and won't come back.

• 2 weeks later...

option 3: do the hospitalist job for a yr or 2 to get trained then move to another hospitalist position somewhere else for 90-110k (!)

they are using you for cheap labor, you can use them for training. fair deal.

yep this is what im doing. My job hunt was one of the most frustrating experiences ive had. I found a job in a academic institution which didnt pay as much as others (not that i was swatting down offers anyway) but it offered me an environment to learn and grow. Plus i dont have the financial pressure of a private practice (ie SEE THIS MANY PATIENTS or i cant pay your salary type issues that im seeing with my friends)

i think as a new grad you have to weigh your options. Ive had plenty of classmates take great offers but when they get there what is said during the interview goes out the window once money and the doctors expectation for you to be up and running seeing 40 patients a day comes in

I will not advise starting out as a new grad PA in an inpatient setting. The only reason I will recommend Inpt medicine as s new grad if you rotated w/ group & did an elective or you were an RN w/ Inpt exp prior to PA school. Unless the group are willing to train you (mentorship) not just saying it. A busy service are fast pace & not suitable for a new grad. Start out in an output medicine clinic then work your way up.

Archived