EM Offer, New Grad, Thoughts?

New Grad EM Offer, LCOL

This is a place I may not consider settling for the long term, but a decent location for a first 1-2 year gig. Medium sized city in a rural state, plenty of outdoor things to do, but not my first choice of location. I would rate it a 6-7/10. However, it is LCOL and not far from where I want to end up. Even more great outdoor destinations within 2-9 hour drive.

- 75% of shifts at 3 Hospital ERs, 25% at 2 Freestanding ER/UC (imaging/lab present). Volume ranges from max 70k/yr to 40k/yr between the locations.

Schedule:

- 15-16 shifts/mo, 8-10 hours each, covering day, swing, and 3-4 nights/mo. Some blocks of shifts, some sporadic, yet conscious to avoid day shift after a night shift etc.

- 1680 hrs/yr, or 140 hrs/mo

- 1 24/hr on-call/mo

On-boarding:

- 8 weeks 1 on 1 with an MD/PA/NP (I realize this is short. I am motivated to self study and do have solid EM background. The group sounds supportive of new grads, MD always on site. Have utilized PAs for years)

- 1 in person class/mo for the first year

Expectations:

- 1.5-2 pph for main ED, 2-3 pph for Freestanding ER/UC

- PAs see all acuities

Pay:

- $77/hr, with $85/hr after 15-16 shifts/mo

- $10/hr for on-call then regular pay if called in

- $12/hr night differential (in effect for scheduled hours starting at 7pm)

- Max Bonus 13k/yr for meeting RVU + dispos/hr

- $15k sign-on bonus for 3 year commitment (thumbs down, but with 4% interest on HYSA maybe use this for free interest payout?)

Bennies:

- Full medical/dental/vision/retirement (unsure of 401k match at moment)

- med mal + tail

- $2400 CME/yr

- licensing fees/renewals reimbursed

- decent/good 401k matching

Awaiting to speak with a PA to ask general culture and MD/PA relationship questions. I get the idea that it is a friendly and collaborative environment. Credentialing will take 3-4 months. I would likely continue to look for other opportunities during this time, but it seems like a solid deal to start. Thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what you've written, as long as the environment seems supportive for a new grad over the 3ish years it will take to become proficient, this sounds like a pretty good offer.

Besides speaking to a PA, see if you can shadow for all or a major part of a shift or 2.  Rotating shifts is hard on the body.  I found it harder than working all nights, which is what I do now.

• Like 1