Thomas Jefferson PA Program (Philadelphia)

I emailed Amina about the app. Apparently it takes a while since there are a large number of applicants. I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone gets one and it's only more money out of your pocket. Seems they'll reach out for an interview regardless so as long as you've received some contact that your CASPA application was processed, you're fine. Just be patient, I know it's annoying.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I emailed Amina about the app. Apparently it takes a while since there are a large number of applicants. I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone gets one and it's only more money out of your pocket. Seems they'll reach out for an interview regardless so as long as you've received some contact that your CASPA application was processed, you're fine. Just be patient, I know it's annoying.

Hey MarkMass! I actually received my supplemental last week. I did attend the information last week as well. Everyone receives a supplemental eventually, their is just a large number of applicants. The information session was also very helpful and answered a lot of questions. However, Once I submitted the supplemental I did receive an email stating my application was now complete and can be reviewed. So fingers crossed lol

@PzawifePA: Congrats! Do you mind tell us when you submitted your TJU app and verification date? I'm still patiently waiting for a supplemental invite. I wonder if they have all applicants complete the supplemental. Though, it sounds like this isn't the case.

I submitted my TJU application back in June with my original CASPA application. I was CASPA verified June 14.  I am not sure if they are having everyone complete the supplemental application or not; however, it appears they are sending them in groups.  Best of Luck on your PA journey.

I submitted my TJU application back in June with my original CASPA application. I was CASPA verified June 14.  I am not sure if they are having everyone complete the supplemental application or not; however, it appears they are sending them in groups.  Best of Luck on your PA journey.

Thanks for this info. From previous threads, it seemed like everyone got invited to complete a supplemental. They may have changed it this year. who knows? lol.

Good luck on your interview! Let us know how things progress for you!

Same here I was told my microbiology didn't meet the requirements. I have a 5 credit quarter class. It's strange because they didn't tell me that last year when I applied.

Same, my microbiology was a 5 quarter class, which is off by 1 semester credit unfortunately.

That is true. Last year, they accepted my work LOR in lieu of an academic LOR since I was a nontraditional student. They wouldn't accept it this year so I had to contact one of my old professors for a letter. I never finished the application before but now I wish I had since they are changing how they choose applicants this cycle lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally but this is just my opinion based on other posts from this thread. If you look at the older posts, it doesn't look like anyone received interviews before the supplementals in the previous cycle. And certain items that met the requirements last year are no longer being accepted this year. In my case, it was the LOR requirement that changed. Hope that helps...

Similar to what Yetsas12 said, I've noticed a trend in the way programs work. I have a coworker who assists a PA program as a lecturer and interviewer and he made the point that you have to consider the following:

1. The same people teaching and running the current class are simultaneously reviewing applications and working on the interviews with a very small admin staff. There are bound to be delays and inconsistencies like receiving a supplemental app after an interview invite.

2. Along the lines with what I mentioned above, This small group of people are receiving anywhere from 600-3000 applications so they have to cut a large amount out with super rigid requirements and again, due to a small staff and being newer programs, there are some inconsistencies like not clearly indicating a LOR must be from a teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone attest to where on the scale of "self-directed learning" Thomas Jefferson falls?  I'll use two schools near me (in adjacent towns actually, and both in the top 20 on US News World Report)) as examples.  In school A, you're only in class till like 1pm, and the classes are to mainly go over broad concepts and teach some of the hands-on stuff.  Otherwise, everyone pretty much learns everything on their own by studying alone with the textbooks and stuff.  

In school B, you're in class until like 6pm or later sometimes, but everything that you will be tested on is talked about in class.  It's all drilled into you.  Of course you still study on your own too, but it's not "here's a textbook, go home and learn it."  

I ask because I fare waaaaaay better in a setting more akin to School B--in an externally-created structure.  So I'd like to know, between the 2 "extremes", where this school falls.

Thanks!

That is true. Last year, they accepted my work LOR in lieu of an academic LOR since I was a nontraditional student. They wouldn't accept it this year so I had to contact one of my old professors for a letter. I never finished the application before but now I wish I had since they are changing how they choose applicants this cycle lol

I also was asked to submit an Academic LOR to complete my application (I submitted 1-Physician and 2-PA LOR's with CASPA.  It's all been taken care of and I was told this week that my "completed application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review."  The saying "Patience is a virtue" is an understatement; however, completely necessary when one is to applying to PA School!  Good luck to us all! :-)

Archived