"Physician Extenders"

I’m in the middle of discussions with a medical group who uses the above term in all their communications. According to them, it is the legal nomenclature for who we (both PAs and NPs) are. Of course I strongly disagree. So I have my own personal feelings about it BUT do any of you know of a formal, written statement from any of the PA or NP professional organizations in opposition to using this term? Opinions don't matter at this juncture just formal statements.

non-physician provider seems to be the term used most in govt circles.

the last president of the aapa(Delaney) within the last year came out against both the terms supervision and midlevel in his letter at the front of pa professional.

non-physician provider seems to be the term used most in govt circles.

the last president of the aapa(Delaney) within the last year came out against both the terms supervision and midlevel in his letter at the front of pa professional.

Do you know where I could find a copy of that? I need documentation.

do you know where i could find a copy of that? I need documentation.

Oct 2012 issue is called "words matter" but does not say anything about physician extender.

I think PAFT has a letter from Delaney saying midlevel and supervision should be replaced with other terms as well. let me check.

I realize my opinion doesn't matter, but if anyone gets upset about any of these terms then I think you need to get some thicker skin.

Physician extender is not the worse name I have ever been called.

It is not an issue of dermis or lack of in this case. I am elected to represent the PAs and the NPs of the American Headache Society. The AHS uses Extender as our official title I'm in discussions, representing my section, over a legal matter. But it does matter in the "broken window" police program. This is, as you may know, that they didn't allow even a broken window on their watch, and in return, the entire crime rate was down. If we allow the little things to slide, it is hard to make progress in the big things.

My new position I'm starting next month refers to us as Advanced Practice Providers. I'm not sure that I like that. What did I/we advance from? Certainly if you came to be a PA from being and RT/RN/EMT, then I suppose you have advanced in practice, but what if you didn't?

I like the Non Physician Provider term.

I hate those terms too. The University of North Carolina Healthcare system has "Physician Extender" as a formal job title (that PAs and NPs can apply to)!

The AANP has a position statement against those terms and has on the list: "independently licensed providers, primary care providers, health care professionals and clinicians."

http://www.aanp.org/images/documents/publications/useofterms.pdf

Archived