Clinical Experience advice needed

I just graduated from UC Davis and wanted to take a year off to get my health care experience but it's starting to seem like it will take forever to get training and then a job and fulfill my hours before applying. I'm trying not to get discouraged but I feel like I learned so much in undergrad and now I'm in slow mo waiting to move on to grad school with this whole hour requirement. But I REALLY want to be a PA so I'd like to get going on my hours - I just don't know what program I should choose (EMT, MA etc.)

Any advice??

mkreiss:

My suggestion is to try to enter the field that has the most direct patient contact, and one that will allow you to work in multiple settings and with diverse patients/complaints. This experience will be useful when you are in interviews.

Another option is to apply to programs that do not require health care experience. However, many of these programs seem to strongly prefer it, even though it is not an official barrier to entry.

Best wishes,

Josh Morrison

Director, Student Enrollment Services

IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI

paadmit@iupui.edu

http://www.shrs.iupui.edu

It depends on where you live I suppose. It's a quarter to become a basic EMT. Hopefully you could get a job with an ambulance company, a volunteer EMS unit, or in an ER. If life still seems slow, take an extra college course that might be helpful with your future training (patho, genetics, etc).

Good luck!

I just recently started volunteering at the hospital in pediatrics and long term care.... I work full time job and currently completing pre reqs... therefore I am unable to enroll in any EMT or CNA programs. Does anyone know the names of any schools that do not require a specific amount of hours?

Doesn't hurt in the mean time.

sure, until some meaningful hce comes along....it's not a route which anyone should encourage. it's a backdoor way of getting quasi medical exposure like shadowing which a limited number of programs will recognize(inappropriately in my opinion).

Archived