Big salary differential between NP/PA

I just moved to NoCal (Silicon Valley) area due to my husband's new job. My attending in Florida contacted his friend at a major university here and got me my dream job. I have five years of pediatric surgery experience and have been told that I am expected to train the other NPs in the group (who all have less than or around one year of experience in the subspecialty). I am less than one week into my job and today I found out that one NP (who has just over one year of experience) is being paid slightly more than me. Apparently this institution counts nursing experience as part of their calculations in salary. She told me what her starting salary was which was about 8k lower than me. She has since received a raise and her salary is now just a hair above mine. Part of this is because she was the only one running the show for awhile so they may have been given a performance bonus of some sort. 

This was very deflating to me given that I have five years of experience being a provider, have an entire OR skillsket, and have been asked by the NPs to proctor them to first assist only to find out that they are being paid more than me. 

Anyone else run into these situations in this area? From what I have read on this forum the nursing unions are very strong here in NoCal. Does this apply to NPs as well? When I received my initial offer from HR I asked if there was any room for negotiation and was told no because it was based on a scale for my clinical background. 

Edited by chanlokla

Welcome to California! I work in LA and found the same discrepancy at my job, message me if you’d like and I’ll tell you about the letter I wrote which gave all 3 PAs in my department raises to match NP salary. The whole thing is bullshit and dictated by non medical people in HR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, NYCPAC said:

Welcome to California! I work in LA and found the same discrepancy at my job, message me if you’d like and I’ll tell you about the letter I wrote which gave all 3 PAs in my department raises to match NP salary. The whole thing is bullshit and dictated by non medical people in HR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I private messaged you! I am totally disenchanted to be honest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Where I work now, when I first started working here, I found out that NPs made about $12/hr more than a PA at the same "Step." i complained and they changed the policy and brought up mine and the other PA's in the organization on par with the NPs.

I'm leaving in 2 weeks though because of other Admin BS lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...