Please Help ! Im lost !! Not safe at work need out asap

I need some help.

I have been at my new job for almost 7 months. I have a 3 year contract with sign on. I have to give 6mo notice before I quit , and I did that today.

Why?

We had a large male patient hit our smallest female staff member about 5 months ago. She called the police and filed a report. Today he was invited to return.

She was weeping and crying.  The CEO, I had asked him several times for help with problems in other areas , and has totally ignored me.

We are loosing patients, were loosing money, they are reprimanding us for using too much paper and office supplies. Yet the CEO  turns away Treatments and surgical procedures because  he is sleeping in his office. His ' Daddy' is my Medical Director and the owner who is past 70 and no one on the surgical side would work with him anymore after" the last one" ...

and I get phone messages months late from some of the nurses, prior auth's are never faxed , it is a disaster... but...

this patient returned. I do not feel safe with a man like that in my office, that also keeps a huge brass top cane, and a gun... so I do not want to stay there the  full 6 months as my contract states.

and yes my CEO Chickened out so I kicked him out, all 125lbs of me, I told him he was not welcome in my clinic and no one who lays hands on my staff is ever welcome here, and he complained and said he would tell on me, and I told him I did not care and to get out NOW

from what I understand they will allow him to return I have stated the next time I see his face again I will take my things and walk out of my shift.

my question is this, is allowing the patient to return failing to keep me or others in a safe working environment ? can I get out of my contract sooner? ( fyi- they also own resturants - and the staff in both are telling the ceo ' do something or we quit' we also had 2 other people give notice this week at my clinic) 

thank you

• Administrator

If you're not safe, don't go to work, and WRITE a detailed letter explaining you do not have a safe workspace.  Talk with your attorney (you already got one, right?) about what you are doing.  Consider...

* Filing a medical board complaint against your SP if merited. He obviously sounds too old to be properly engaged in patient care.

* Contacting your state workplace safety oversight organization.

* Take 12 weeks FMLA starting immediately due to workplace stress. That should buy you time to line up a new job, and gives you less time in clinic during your required notice.  Not sure if you can do this if you haven't worked there a year yet.

* See if you can get unemployment if you break your contract due to workplace safety issues.

Again, only undertake any step after consultation with an employment law attorney... except maybe FMLA.

We're a little different because from what I can gather you work at a FP office or something of the like, but its a constant struggle to stay safe in the hospital environment too. I (we staff) feel similiarly to you, as violence is an ever present theme at my shop. Unfortunately, we don't feel very supported either. Its a multifaceted problem that is unlikely to ever go away.

I'm not sure what any other options are, but don't forget about the police should you feel explicitly uncomfortable with him in the future. The legal system may be slow and unhelpful, but I do think a beat cop would be much more helpful, at least in the moment. If nothing else, you would have "backup."

There is no way in hell this guy should be coming back in to your office!

I wasn't a lawyer before PA school, but I was a police officer and I can tell you your boss is breaking some major laws!

I do have a couple questions though:

1.) Were the police even called to the scene and did the woman press charges?

2.) Was the assault witnessed by anyone other the the victim and assailant? Was she injured?

I'm hoping your answer is yes to all of these because if not it could be an up hill battle, but one worth fighting.

Thank you all for your advice

I went into work and made DEMANDS that we adopt a ' no weapons policy ' and one that does not allow the return of any patients that have made threats or put hands on staff , by the end of the day or I would consider it a violation of my contract and I would not return tomorrow.

The CEO/ Son never responded but told his Father my Medical Director that I quit, he and I had a honest talk , I had already quit and honesty is my style , and I told him what was happening.

He was very upset and I think he might fire his kid, he started screaming HES NOT MY SON!!!

He had been tracking performance and satisfaction/ complaints and I scored the highest , I told him things I had told his kid about selling outdated equipment , that were the only clinic that doesn't have a pt coordinator and this is where a lot of crap gets dropped that we have 2 mri and hyperbaric we don't use, the clinic is dirty and needs paint impressions count we need to get another surgeon in that can train with my MD so he can transition to more admin and education , he went for all of it and loved it , hugged me over and over , made me promise to come to him if I felt like I wanted to quit , told me he wanted me to stay and that I was the future of his company. ... it kinda breaks my heart, his kid doesn't give a shit , my MD is a good man and worked hard his entire life, but his kid is very spoiled and lazy. ... I hope this means things are getting better.

Thank you all, and yes I am still covering my bases and if changes to not happen I will still have to go.

Thank you all for your advice

I went into work and made DEMANDS that we adopt a ' no weapons policy ' and one that does not allow the return of any patients that have made threats or put hands on staff , by the end of the day or I would consider it a violation of my contract and I would not return tomorrow.

The CEO/ Son never responded but told his Father my Medical Director that I quit, he and I had a honest talk , I had already quit and honesty is my style , and I told him what was happening.

He was very upset and I think he might fire his kid, he started screaming HES NOT MY SON!!!

He had been tracking performance and satisfaction/ complaints and I scored the highest , I told him things I had told his kid about selling outdated equipment , that were the only clinic that doesn't have a pt coordinator and this is where a lot of crap gets dropped that we have 2 mri and hyperbaric we don't use, the clinic is dirty and needs paint impressions count we need to get another surgeon in that can train with my MD so he can transition to more admin and education , he went for all of it and loved it , hugged me over and over , made me promise to come to him if I felt like I wanted to quit , told me he wanted me to stay and that I was the future of his company. ... it kinda breaks my heart, his kid doesn't give a shit , my MD is a good man and worked hard his entire life, but his kid is very spoiled and lazy. ... I hope this means things are getting better.

Thank you all, and yes I am still covering my bases and if changes to not happen I will still have to go.

I'm confuse here.

Did you said you quit and later decided to stay?

Either way, staying would be a HUGE mistake per your accounts of what had happened at this practice.

Watch. When they find your replacement, your behind will be out the door.

You had a honest conversation with who? Bad approach! You think they cares. It's business as usual. All they care about is there bottom-line.

You're your greatest advocate. No one else will go the extra miles for you.

You really need to have a sit down with a lawyer as you plan your exit strategy.

No further comment on this matter.

Good luck whatever you decided.

the assault was addressed I spoke with the md who is also the owner. I agreed to stay for now but if the changes don't happen he knows I will go , I was required to give 6mo notice so they had time to find someone. if something happens I will go locums. The other 2 docs are writing LOR for me also. I like my Doc I didn't want to go, I wanted things to change before we were out of biz or worse.

it was in my contract they have to give me 30 days notice if they want to fire me, and I have to give them 6mo. Today was great my MD already started making changes. The other 2 MDs thanked me for having the talk and the girl who was assaulted is thrilled now as she is being trained on the surgical side which she has wanted to do for ages but she had been asking the CEO, I asked the MD and the very next day he is training her ! I hope it stays this way . I will still stand my ground on any bullshit

• 2 weeks later...

it went from bad to worse everything he promised DIDNT happen , I didn't know what to do so I called my old school and talked to admin, they are helping me. I have to go in today on my vacation day and collect my things and not return, its very bad there. lots of problems on every level ... thank you all for your help, I will let you know how things turn out, looks like im unemployed

• Administrator

Sorry to say that usually things won't get better despite promises--those in power but without the ability to see the problems develop, will lack the intestinal fortitude or discretion to solve them appropriately.

Best wishes in your job hunt.

it went from bad to worse everything he promised DIDNT happen , I didn't know what to do so I called my old school and talked to admin, they are helping me. I have to go in today on my vacation day and collect my things and not return, its very bad there. lots of problems on every level ... thank you all for your help, I will let you know how things turn out, looks like im unemployed

See post #11

Thanks all , this has become much more complex then just the assault , the more I started checking things out the more problems I found, I went to my medical school they told me to get out asap, a 2 hour phone call with medical board, and I have to write a letter. They told me when I started they would bill me as a locum , but I wasn't a locum and so that means I was practicing w/o a license, and they abandoned me during and FDA recall, a pt lost a leg, its epic in terms of the worst clinic ive ever seen or heard of. I can only hope that after leaving my husband behind in Ireland the last year to come back to America for work, that I don't destroy the savings I had ( it costs a LOT to bring someone to America to live when they are not American) so I don't want to go another year without seeing him, I have to find a new job asap, assuming the medical board doesn't punish me as well .

Guest Paula

How could you be practicing as a PA without a PA license? Did you apply for your PA license and obtain it before starting your job?  This story gets curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say. 

they emailed me last night and blackmailed me re: turning me into the state and fines if i dont shut up and come back to work for them. Also they stated they were keeping my last check and money owed them unless i return and they will fine me for all the pts i didnt see after i quit. And bonis the went on and on about how much i was liked. They scaned a thank you card i had from a patient with her full name and signature in it and emailed it to me, and I dont have a hippa secure email. its yahoo .... fwd it on to the med school and mquac, they had me seeing pts for almost 3 mo w/o a license, told me i was locum and its was SOP, but its NOT they lied to me, now I could be in trouble and they are sending me these emails. Waiting to hear back from people probley have to get a lawyer :(

Paula,.............. I was licenced.Yet had not worked in amost 2 years i was in ireland with my husband. They said i could see ppl as they credentaled me but when i contacted the state they said i was not legit for almost 3 mo after i started. I also was abandoned by my MD in terms of an FDA recall, these people are a living nightmare.

Archived