Inventor of ADHD says ADHD is a fictitious disease

Ein großer, hagerer Mann mit Brille und Hosenträgern öffnete 2009 die Tür zu seiner Wohnung am Harvard Square, lud an den Küchentisch und schenkte Kaffee aus. Niemals hätte er gedacht, erzählte er, dass seine Erfindung einmal derart populär würde. "ADHS ist ein Paradebeispiel für eine fabrizierte Erkrankung", sagte Eisenberg. "Die genetische Veranlagung für ADHS wird vollkommen überschätzt."Stattdessen sollten Kinderpsychiater viel gründlicher die psychosozialen Gründe ermitteln, die zu Verhaltensauffälligkeiten führen können, sagte Eisenberg. Gibt es Kämpfe mit den Eltern, leben Mutter und Vater zusammen, gibt es Probleme in der Familie? Solche Fragen seien wichtig, aber sie nähmen viel Zeit in Anspruch, sagte Eisenberg und fügte seufzend hinzu: "Eine Pille verschreibt sich dagegen ganz schnell."

Or if you prefer English

A tall, thin man with glasses and suspenders in 2009 opened the door to his apartment in Harvard Square, invited at the kitchen table and poured coffee. He would never have thought he said that his invention would be so popular once. "ADHD is a prime example of a fabricated disease," Eisenberg said. "The genetic predisposition to ADHD is completely overrated."Instead, child psychiatrist should more thoroughly determine the psychosocial reasons that can lead to behavioral problems, Eisenberg said. Are there fights with parents, mother and father live together, there are problems in the family? Such questions are important, but they are taking a lot of time, Eisenberg said, adding with a sigh: ". Prescribe a pill against it very quickly,"

The ADHD mind, he had called Eisenberg was not let go.

Notice the article did not cite the source and just says, "The German weekly Der Spiegel quoted in its cover story on 2 February 2012 the US American psychiatrist Leon Eisenberg..."

Here is the link to the original article.

Okay, well it appears iffy per translation, but either way, the point is a valid one.

Snopes does actually do a great job of breaking it down, actually: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/adhd.asp

I especially appreciated the comments of Dr. Kagan on over-prescription. I see 50% peds and it's frightening how many people would rather drug their kid than make sure they get adequate physical activity each day after school.

Okay, well it appears iffy per translation, but either way, the point is a valid one.

Snopes does actually do a great job of breaking it down, actually: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/adhd.asp

I especially appreciated the comments of Dr. Kagan on over-prescription. I see 50% peds and it's frightening how many people would rather drug their kid than make sure they get adequate physical activity each day after school.

It's embarrassing when medical professionals in my field, who don't have children with ADHD, start criticizing the parenting of those of us who do. I have 6 and 7 year old boys. They come from a loving, two-parent home ...and they get PLENTY of physical activity during and after school. My 7-year old was on the verge of being kicked out of kindergarten two years ago. I got phone calls home every day; he annoyed other children, couldn't sit still, talked constantly, and was so disruptive in his class that he was often sent to the principal's office. Ever since we started him on Ritalin (and I mean from the day he took the first pill) he has excelled in school. He is able to focus and complete assignments, control his body, and avoid the impulsive decisions that used to get him in trouble. ADHD is a neurobehavioral disorder; not a result of parents who don't provide their kids with "adequate physical activity after school." So here's what's REALLY frightening; you treating peds patients.

It's embarrassing when medical professionals in my field, who don't have children with ADHD, start criticizing the parenting of those of us who do. I have 6 and 7 year old boys. They come from a loving, two-parent home ...and they get PLENTY of physical activity during and after school. My 7-year old was on the verge of being kicked out of kindergarten two years ago. I got phone calls home every day; he annoyed other children, couldn't sit still, talked constantly, and was so disruptive in his class that he was often sent to the principal's office. Ever since we started him on Ritalin (and I mean from the day he took the first pill) he has excelled in school. He is able to focus and complete assignments, control his body, and avoid the impulsive decisions that used to get him in trouble. ADHD is a neurobehavioral disorder; not a result of parents who don't provide their kids with "adequate physical activity after school." So here's what's REALLY frightening; you treating peds patients.

What frightens me is that you are so wrapped up in your own personal situation that you let it affect your objectivity. Do I treat certain kids with Ritalin and Adderall? Oh you betcha. Do I also take some kids off of those meds or even greatly lower their dosages? You betcha. When you reach the point of practice, you're going to need to distance yourself from your own personal situation. Not ALL children DO get adequate physical activity after school. Further, some childrens' agitation is caused by too high of dosages that providers throw out like it's candy. Trust me ... the reason I work with children and because I'm valued in the medical community? Is because of my objectivity and realizing that you can't always fix every problem with a pill. Do some problems require medication? Yes. Do all? No. There's usually more to treating neurobehavioral disorders than just medication, including cognitive-behavioral training. Not to mention correctly diagnosing (ADHD vs. ASD). You'll get there, it'll come with experience. I get where you're coming from, and you make a valid point, but you are out of line criticizing providers taking an honest look at a very honest problem. If you are going to deny that there's an overabundance of diagnoses and prescriptions related to ADHD, then you are not meant for Pediatrics.

I have a few good stories so far, related to Adderall ...

1) 9 year old and his mother come in for his refill. I ask who diagnosed him? The school Psychologist, apparently, as she hands me the letter. I see, I say, well, I'd like him to get a second opinion from a Neurologist (the kid purportedly hadn't had his medication in a few days and was sitting calm as anything). The mom jumps up, says I don't understand and runs to the bathroom crying. The child comes up to me, pats my hand and says, "mommy needs her medicine" in a reassuring voice. Uhhh huh.

2) Father with 3 adopted children. All coincidentally with ADHD! Father is a hyper-driven businessman. Genetic link between the siblings? None. Hmmm.

ADHD is in fact overdiagnosed, but to write it off as purely fictional is BS.

ADHD gets overdiagnosed a lot because the proper diagnostic procedures are not followed. The usual diagnostic workup consists of a 5 minute conversation of "so little Johnny is hyper? OK lets give him adderall!"

Obviously that kind of 5 minute clinical consult BS will result in overdiagnosis quite frequently.

HOWEVER, if you are willing to do the necessary workup and use the AAP guidelines to diagnose ADHD, then it is legit. That means the symptoms start before age 7, cause MODERATE TO SEVERE DISRUPTION TO NORMAL DAILY ACTIVITIES and you get MULTIPLE Vanderbilt questionnaires from both parents and teachers WHO KNOW THE CHILD WELL. If you do that, score the forms appropriately (6/9 or higher scores for inattention or hyperactivity), eliminate comorbidities like depression, oppositional defiant disorder, bipolar, sleep disturbances then ADHD can be a legit diagnosis.

Wow, that was totally out of line. How will you practice medicine if you can't be somewhat objective and avoid taking comments(especially those not directed at you) as personal?

Wow, that was totally out of line. How will you practice medicine if you can't be somewhat objective and avoid taking comments(especially those not directed at you) as personal?

It's all a part of learning and a significant aspect of that process. Removing yourself emotionally and discerning when to avoid bias and likewise when to not avoid using your experience can be a tricky thing. Add love for your children into the whole mix and that's quite a kit and kaboodle. Sometimes people will take statements or questions as inference and they see red, it happens to the best of us.

Glad it's working for you.....:)

harhar u so funny ... i actually took a kid off of it today, it wasn't doing the trick but the diazepam is so off to mental health she goes for a full workup ... there may be some endocrine issues at play with this one as well as she's underweight ... and the beat goes on ... OK??? DO YOU GET IT NOW?? ;)

harhar u so funny ... i actually took a kid off of it today, it wasn't doing the trick but the diazepam is so off to mental health she goes for a full workup ... there may be some endocrine issues at play with this one as well as she's underweight ...

underweight as in anorexic or undertall(short) as in growth hormone?

underweight as in anorexic or undertall(short) as in growth hormone?

low weight ... not on stimulants ... and yes, she is short for her age. no diabetes issue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23656557

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23570907

wish I had time (or the knowledge) to take care of all the workups myself, but off she goes ...

Out of all the patients I have seen, I would say I've seen 2 who were actual patients with fibromyalgia. They had both been officially been diagnosed by a Neurologist (11 out of 18 pressure points, etc). Pale, thin, one stated that their husband would get upset because he could not touch her without causing pain, etc. In fact, I saw one of those 2 today. I touched her neck about as light as a feather and she winced. Dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep because she says the bed hurts her skin. I find her legit. Again tho, she is one of 2 out of thousands. I remember once I had an interview offer from a Pain Management practice in the Central Coast region of California ... near Santa Barbara (basically heaven, as I attended their city college for a few years before transferring ... nice to do your homework on the beach ... anyhow), 100K to start, full benefits. About 30 mins into the 3 hour drive to the interview I called the Doc. He was gruff (it was 7:30 am) but I told him I just had one question ... did he treat fibromyalgia with opiates on a regular basis? "Absolutely" was his reply. I thanked him for his time, let him know that we wouldn't make a good fit, hung up and turned around for the drive back home.

Archived