My Story - Soon to be graduating PA

Hello all!

For those who do not know, my name is Steve. I've been on this site since back in my early Pre-PA days, over 4 years ago.

I remember posting a "can I make it" thread :)

Here's is where I am at now:

I got in to NYIT's MSPA school right out of undergrad. I started at 21yo 9/2010. I am completing my program in a few days 5/2013 at 23yo.

I got lasiks last month, seeing 20/10!

During school I fell in love with my classmate, Angela, and since we have been engaged, bought an 8wk old puppy (choc lab/border collie mix) and we are moving back to her home state of Maine next week.

She is in the works for a job, and I have been offered a job. I went on my first interview, received the offer and am prepared to accept it (first time's the charm?).

Here is what I know:

It is a urology office owned and governed by EMMC in Bangor. There are 5 physicians/surgeons, 2 PAs and one NP who all seem very happy with the office/hospital. My role would be in the office, consults in the ED and some OR time. Apparently I will soon be great at all different types of catheters and uro emergencies, and get to do some in-office procedures. The schedule is M-F 8-4, but some days aren't nearly that long, some may go over a bit. I am getting paid a yearly salary, but it is based on an hourly wage scheme. They are factoring in and are required to pay me as if I would be in the OR 40-80% of the time (I wont come closer than about 15% I think). So my salary for the first year would likely be $90k flat (or thereabout). Also built into this is one saturday call a month from 7am - 7am sunday. It requires rounding in the AM, then receiving phones calls PRN (dont need to be on site, just within about 30 minutes). They will give me an iPhone for business and actually personal use if I want it (hell no, I'm an android guy all the way (Note II!)). They are offering $20k a year loan repayment (3 year contract, then yearly after), $3000 a year towards CME with 5 days (airfare is ok, and in fact, the hospital has a travel agent that can help me arrange the flights for best pricing (and for my vacays too!)). They are going to pay moving expenses, $5000, but they are actually writing me a check, taxes withdrawn, instead of me saving receipts. They offer 403B (nonprofit hospital) with matching (not sure of % but I'm sure it's a good rate), 6... SIX... weeks PTO (including sick days and holidays), malpractice (all providers same coverage). As for the group, they are all very intelligent and knowledgeable people who love to teach. I got along with everyone thoroughly, the office is very new and nice, the staff is nice, organized, and they all want to help me and the fiancee find a home and explore the area! (my fiancee's soon likely offer is a EMMC owned FP office; same bennies!). I need to ask them about the costs of licensure, though I know they are going to help me get through all that paper-work wise, just dont know about the costs yet (maybe i can use the money from the cme/professional advancement?). - What do you all think about the offer?

So, here I am, exactly 30 days until my PANCE, finishing school in a couple of days, moving my new family to Maine, to start a life of providing high-quality health care (putting a good name out there for myself AND the profession), and enjoying every bit of the great outdoors (especially this summer, as I wont start till likely late August).

I am extremely excited and humbled by this offer and about everything I have going for me right now. I couldn't be happier and more ready to move into the next phase of my life.

All the best,

Steve

ja2ajemu.jpg

ytehy3yt.jpg

gesaqaty.jpg

3uteva5u.jpg

Hello all!

For those who do not know, my name is Steve. I've been on this site since back in my early Pre-PA days, over 4 years ago.

I got in to NYIT's MSPA school right out of undergrad. I started at 21yo 9/2010. I am completing my program in a few days 5/2013 at 23yo.

During school I fell in love with my classmate, Angela, and since we have been engaged, bought an 8wk old puppy (choc lab/border collie mix) and we are moving back to her home state of Maine next week.

She is in the works for a job, and I have been offered a job. I went on my first interview, received the offer and am prepared to accept it (first time's the charm?).

Here is what I know:

It is a urology office owned and governed by EMMC in Bangor. There are 5 physicians/surgeons, 2 PAs and one NP who all seem very happy with the office/hospital. My role would be in the office, consults in the ED and some OR time. Apparently I will soon be great at all different types of catheters and uro emergencies, and get to do some in-office procedures. The schedule is M-F 8-4, but some days aren't nearly that long, some may go over a bit. I am getting paid a yearly salary, but it is based on an hourly wage scheme. They are factoring in and are required to pay me as if I would be in the OR 40-80% of the time (I wont come closer than about 15% I think). So my salary for the first year would likely be $90k flat (or thereabout). Also built into this is one saturday call a month from 7am - 7am sunday. It requires rounding in the AM, then receiving phones calls PRN (dont need to be on site, just within about 30 minutes). They will give me an iPhone for business and actually personal use if I want it (hell no, I'm an android guy all the way (Note II!)). They are offering $20k a year loan repayment (3 year contract, then yearly after), $3000 a year towards CME with 5 days (airfare is ok, and in fact, the hospital has a travel agent that can help me arrange the flights for best pricing (and for my vacays too!)). They are going to pay moving expenses, $5000, but they are actually writing me a check, taxes withdrawn, instead of me saving receipts. They offer 403B (nonprofit hospital) with matching (not sure of % but I'm sure it's a good rate), 6... SIX... weeks PTO (including sick days and holidays), malpractice (all providers same coverage). As for the group, they are all very intelligent and knowledgeable people who love to teach. I got along with everyone thoroughly, the office is very new and nice, the staff is nice, organized, and they all want to help me and the fiancee find a home and explore the area! (my fiancee's soon likely offer is a EMMC owned FP office; same bennies!). I need to ask them about the costs of licensure, though I know they are going to help me get through all that paper-work wise, just dont know about the costs yet (maybe i can use the money from the cme/professional advancement?). - What do you all think about the offer?

So, here I am, exactly 30 days until my PANCE, finishing school in a couple of days, moving my new family to Maine, to start a life of providing high-quality health care (putting a good name out there for myself AND the profession), and enjoying every bit of the great outdoors (especially this summer, as I wont start till likely late August).

I am extremely excited and humbled by this offer and about everything I have going for me right now. I couldn't be happier and more ready to move into the next phase of my life.

All the best,

Steve

ja2ajemu.jpg

ytehy3yt.jpg

gesaqaty.jpg

3uteva5u.jpg

Hello all!

Here is what I know:

All the best,

Steve

ja2ajemu.jpg

ytehy3yt.jpg

gesaqaty.jpg

3uteva5u.jpg

Hello all!

Here is what I know:

All the best,

Steve

ja2ajemu.jpg

ytehy3yt.jpg

gesaqaty.jpg

3uteva5u.jpg

Archived