Back up plans if you can't get into PA school

I'm doing everything I can do prepare for PA school admission, but I'm concerned that I may not get in due to my 3.0 overall gpa (upward trend). This is my last semester of prereqs. I plan on applying for the next two years but after that I'll need to consider other options because being a nurse aide and such just isn't cutting it. I'm thinking of respiratory therapist as a second choice (a distant second choice). Does anyone else have backup plans if they can't get in? Perhaps there is some other career path I hadn't considered besides nurse, paramedic, x-ray/MRI tech, ER tech, medical assistant, dental hygienist, or physical therapy assistant. Thoughts?

I applied and got into RT school the year I got into PA school. I chose it as a back up. I immediately notified them when I got into PA school and some lucky guy or gal from their wait list got my seat.

I would have been ok with being a RT. Good money (75k in my area), good hours (3 12s a week) and great PA school app fodder (to add to my 22k HCE hours). I still would have kept pursuing PA though.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I'm waiting to find out if I've been accepted into the nursing program. If I get in, I'll finish my BSN and then apply to PA school. If I don't get in, I'll finish my BS in Biomedical Laboratory Science. Either way, if I don't get in to PA school, I can work as a nurse or MLT, depending on which route I go. Always good to have Plan A and Plan B! :D

Paramedic, RT, or RN are the best options, IMO. Paramedic can be done in 1 year (assuming you are already an EMT-Basic or higher) while RT is generally 2 years so you might be faced with a PA school acceptance a year later but not done with RT school. You'll learn a TON in paramedic school and it'll be a good intro for the emergency medicine component of PA school.

I should clarify: I'm not looking for a stepping stone career towards PA. If I don't get into PA school and I have to do two years of RT school or whatever, I'm probably going to stick with that career. I'm already 42 years old and I've already spent 7 years in college. So this is it. And paramedic is out because I have very weak vision in one eye that prevents me from getting an ambulance driver's license. (Around here Respiratory pays more than Paramedic anyway.) Thanks for the feedback so far folks!

To the best of my knowledge there's no such thing as an ambulance driver's license. When I became an EMT in 2002 they only required I be 21 years old and a valid DL. I did the CEVO training but there wasn't a special test or special license. I've heard rumor that California might have a special license but I'm unsure.

As far as a fallback plan it all depends on what you want to do. Do you wish to stay in the medical field or pursue something else?

To be honest... I was planning on going to a pacemaker tech program. 5 month training, cost $22k plus living expense. Come out with starting salary of just below $100k a year. I know of three programs. One at Loma Linda University in CA, One in Michigan, and ATI in South Carolina. Figured it still counted for HCE, pays really good, short education, and it's a growing field that people who are jumping on the healthcare bandwagon don't know about.

I've heard rumor that California might have a special license but I'm unsure.

Yes, this is true. I'm an EMT in California, and we are required to have an Ambulance Driver's Certificate or endorsement on our license. A written test and application through the DMV.

I'm getting my bachelors is Medical Lab Sciences. Easy way to get pre reqs and its a nice paying job if I don't get into PA school.

I was considering this too. The requirements for the major include pretty much any prereq you can think of, except maybe psychology.

I'm getting my bachelors is Medical Lab Sciences. Easy way to get pre reqs and its a nice paying job if I don't get into PA school.

I was considering this too. The requirements for the major include pretty much any prereq you can think of, except maybe psychology.

Archived