Any suggestions for a confused young man?

Hello,

I am a 25yo male living in NY. I graduated from a 4 year college last February '12 with a BS in Psych and Bio. My uGPA is 3.36 and my sGPA is around a 3.0. The last 1.5 to 2yrs in college I maintained at least a 3.7 GPA, before that I hovered around a 3.0 due to no real exposure to math and chemistry in HS. I am not sure specifically what my sGPA is, as it's a bit difficult to calculate.

I'll just come out and say it, but I was premed and took the MCAT. I bombed the verbal reasoning section that's heavy on critical thinking; as a result I am feeling a bit defeated and considering other options. No, I don't think being a PA is any easier than being a MD, so please don't get your panties in a bunch. My MCAT has made me slow down and think too much about the fact that I am 25, and that being an MD would require around 10yrs to get on my feet.

I have the desire to work in the healthcare field (no parents forcing me here, I just feel it's what I would enjoy); currently, I am a research technician. My adviser from the Bio dept., and my current boss in the psych dept. would like me to pursue a PhD, but I have little interest in continuing research.

The only HCE I can list is some of the volunteer experience I did. I volunteered in an ED for about 6mo. In that time I mostly delivered meals, transported patients and helped to feed ones who couldn't feed themselves. I haven't seriously shadowed a MD or PA yet, due to the fallout from a poor MCAT score. While working in the ED, I did build a rapport with a few of the emergency doctors and observe a few procedures. Currently I am a certified phlebotomy and EKG tech, but getting a job in NYC is nearly impossible.

I think I am going give EMT-B a try and see if I can find employment that way; while volunteering again in a hospice (hopefully this counts as HCE).

I want to know the following: given my GPA, and general lack of HCE what do you guys recommend I do next? Certain schools like Hofstra have no "requirements" for anything; however, I am weary that programs like Hofstra are not not held in high regard. I have all my sciences down expect anatomy and physiology which will be done by this summer.

~Thanks in advance guys!

Hello,

I am a 25yo male living in NY. I graduated from a 4 year college last February '12 with a BS in Psych and Bio. My uGPA is 3.36 and my sGPA is around a 3.0. The last 1.5 to 2yrs in college I maintained at least a 3.7 GPA, before that I hovered around a 3.0 due to no real exposure to math and chemistry in HS. I am not sure specifically what my sGPA is, as it's a bit difficult to calculate.

I'll just come out and say it, but I was premed and took the MCAT. I bombed the verbal reasoning section that's heavy on critical thinking; as a result I am feeling a bit defeated and considering other options. No, I don't think being a PA is any easier than being a MD, so please don't get your panties in a bunch. My MCAT has made me slow down and think too much about the fact that I am 25, and that being an MD would require around 10yrs to get on my feet.

I have the desire to work in the healthcare field (no parents forcing me here, I just feel it's what I would enjoy); currently, I am a research technician. My adviser from the Bio dept., and my current boss in the psych dept. would like me to pursue a PhD, but I have little interest in continuing research.

The only HCE I can list is some of the volunteer experience I did. I volunteered in an ED for about 6mo. In that time I mostly delivered meals, transported patients and helped to feed ones who couldn't feed themselves. I haven't seriously shadowed a MD or PA yet, due to the fallout from a poor MCAT score. While working in the ED, I did build a rapport with a few of the emergency doctors and observe a few procedures. Currently I am a certified phlebotomy and EKG tech, but getting a job in NYC is nearly impossible.

I think I am going give EMT-B a try and see if I can find employment that way; while volunteering again in a hospice (hopefully this counts as HCE).

I want to know the following: given my GPA, and general lack of HCE what do you guys recommend I do next? Certain schools like Hofstra have no "requirements" for anything; however, I am weary that programs like Hofstra are not not held in high regard. I have all my sciences down expect anatomy and physiology which will be done by this summer.

~Thanks in advance guys!

Use the search feature

GatorRRT doesn't strike me as the type of fly that likes honey...

My MCAT score is unbalanced. I scored above avg on 2/3 of the exam and well below average on the other third. As a result I can't really apply anywhere. I'm currently having issues motivating myself to restudy for the exam, because it's mainly undermined all the work I thought I achieved in the 5yrs of undergrad.

If there are any PAs or pre-PAs in the NYC area that could give me suggestions that'd be great. I was more so hoping to get that sort of guidance, as opposed to the generalize stuff I've found through searching through this forum. Thank's so far though.

GatorRRT doesn't strike me as the type of fly that likes honey...

My MCAT score is unbalanced. I scored above avg on 2/3 of the exam and well below average on the other third. As a result I can't really apply anywhere. I'm currently having issues motivating myself to restudy for the exam, because it's mainly undermined all the work I thought I achieved in the 5yrs of undergrad.

If there are any PAs or pre-PAs in the NYC area that could give me suggestions that'd be great. I was more so hoping to get that sort of guidance, as opposed to the generalize stuff I've found through searching through this forum. Thank's so far though.

Have you tried DO schools?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Have you tried DO schools?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I scored a 5/15 on the Verbal reasoning. Most MD and DO schools set a lower limit of 7/15. As far a MD/DO goes, I'd be looking at a retake which is 3-4mo of preparation. As I said before there are two issues lack of motivation to retake the MCAT, and a desire to be on my feet and "independent" in <10 years, lol. Are these feelings common? Or should my desire to work in healthcare just out-way all my other desires?

As far as I know, although Hofstra lists only a few hours of HCE as necessary, the students that get in often have much more. And I don't know if it's held in 'high regards' or not, but their recent pance rates are very good.

You mention wanting to be independent in less than 10 years as your main reason for being a PA (correct me if I'm wrong) which is fine, but are you okay with working under the supervision of and MD for the rest of your career when it was your dream to be an MD? If you can honestly say yes, then start by shadowing a PA.

Another thing to think about also: if you retake the MCATs, you'll have to spend several months preparing, sure. But if you decide to become a PA, you'll most likely have to take additional pre-reqs, shadow a PA, and work some more on the HCE, all of which will also set you back some months, if not a year or so. Not trying to discourage you, but just painting a realistic view - good luck with whatever you decide!

If your heart is set on being an MD (which it seems to be), then perhaps use one of the review courses that are available that might be able to help you increase your scores (I believe they even give you your money back if your scores do not improve). Retreat, rethink, and then respond. Your feelings right now aren't facts. It appears that you are just a lil burnt out right now in terms of the MCAT. Take a breather, take the review class and then retake the MCATs. Do some soul searching...just don't jump into something you may not truly want in your heart to do...if you jump right in, you may be sorry in the long run. You are still young enough to take some time to figure it out. This is just, of course, a suggestion. No one can tell you what to do as no one knows what you really want to do but you. I wish you luck in your decision and journey.

define "bombed the mcat". a score which won't get you into an md program might very well get you into a DO program. I know folks with scores in the 18-22 range who have gotten into numerous DO schools....and once you finish a DO program you can apply to DO or MD residencies. there is no difference in the final product. I would be very happy to be a DO.

As far as I know, although Hofstra lists only a few hours of HCE as necessary, the students that get in often have much more. And I don't know if it's held in 'high regards' or not, but their recent pance rates are very good.

You mention wanting to be independent in less than 10 years as your main reason for being a PA (correct me if I'm wrong) which is fine, but are you okay with working under the supervision of and MD for the rest of your career when it was your dream to be an MD? If you can honestly say yes, then start by shadowing a PA.

Another thing to think about also: if you retake the MCATs, you'll have to spend several months preparing, sure. But if you decide to become a PA, you'll most likely have to take additional pre-reqs, shadow a PA, and work some more on the HCE, all of which will also set you back some months, if not a year or so. Not trying to discourage you, but just painting a realistic view - good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for the above statements. I do intend to shadow a PA once summer arrives; the question of whether I can spend my career working under the supervision of a doc has come up many times. However, from what I've seen at the ED I volunteered in, and heard around the internet it's not that bad. From what I understand, PAs get a good deal of autonomy depending on specialty, and the MD's role is to sign off on decisions made by the PA. Correct me if I am wrong.

As far as putting in work for the MCAT vs HCE and pre-reqs, I'd much rather do HCE than study for an exam where anything could happen. My pre-reqs were all completed except anatomy and physiology.

define "bombed the mcat". a score which won't get you into an md program might very well get you into a DO program. I know folks with scores in the 18-22 range who have gotten into numerous DO schools....and once you finish a DO program you can apply to DO or MD residencies. there is no difference in the final product. I would be very happy to be a DO.

My overall score is a 25Q: 10PS 5VR 10BS. From what I understand, that 5 in VR is automatically screened out everywhere. Essentially, your pet cat could score that high....

this is the statement from lecom:

Candidates must submit their most recent Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores. MCAT scores taken within the past three years are acceptable. Competitive candidates typically have a minimum MCAT score of 24.

a friend of mine now in practice went there with an 18. he is now a double boarded practicing physician who scored at the top of the curve on both usmle and comlex.

call them and ask about their mcat policy. I don't think they have any automatic cutoffs.

this is the statement from lecom:

Candidates must submit their most recent Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores. MCAT scores taken within the past three years are acceptable. Competitive candidates typically have a minimum MCAT score of 24.

a friend of mine now in practice went there with an 18. he is now a double boarded practicing physician who scored at the top of the curve on both usmle and comlex.

call them and ask about their mcat policy. I don't think they have any automatic cutoffs.

Thanks EMEDPA, I'll get in contact with LECOM and see what they say. Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It seems regardless of the choice I make I am still a 1-2yrs out from being able to apply to any program with confidence. I guess I have to just chill out a bit, and try to refocus myself on a goal.

Archived