PA School Rankings

What's the point of going to PA school? TO PASS BOARDS. Look for programs that have consistently high PANCE pass rates.

BINGO!

Second, go to the school where you see you will do best. I've had alums from top 10 schools tell me they didn't enjoy their experience and I interviewed at a school that was more highly ranked than where I am going and decided not to go there due to some organizational changes I wasn't too excited about. Thus, YMMV.

At the end of the day the US News rankings are simply a popularity contest and the response rate is pretty dismally low as well, so while it might be a good place to start, do your own research and make sure the school is a good fit for you.

Checko

I think quality of rotations is the most important ferature of a pa school. board pass is about the students, not the school. good students at "bad" schools pass pance and bad students at great schools don't.

also us news only ranks ms level programs and some of the better programs out ther may be at the cert/as/bs level.

as an example when u.wa went from bs to ms they went from off the radar to #3. they didn't really change much except the degree conferred.

I think quality of rotations is the most important ferature of a pa school. board pass is about the students, not the school. good students at "bad" schools pass pance and bad students at great schools don't.

also us news only ranks ms level programs and some of the better programs out ther may be at the cert/as/bs level.

as an example when u.wa went from bs to ms they went from off the radar to #3. they didn't really change much except the degree conferred.

So in your opinion EMEDPA, who do you think does the best job preparing PA students? I know you value the majority of students coming out of MEDEX...

How about USC with its 8 week rotations? Anyone else really stand out to you?

Thanks.

Go interview, see how each school feels, see if they try to weed you out or help you get ready for boards, and see how they've done in the past. I learned more from talking to the students at each school I interviewed at than anything. I haven't met anyone yet who cared where I went.

• 2 weeks later...

When I interviewed at Stony Brook the Program Director actually told us NOT to consider USNWR rankings (even though Stony Brook always ranks high -- it's a great program) and instead to look at FIRST TIME NCCPA pass rates as a way to compare programs. From what I understand, the USNWR rankings aren't based on any objective criteria. I've heard it's sent out to program directors and they're asked to rank other programs based on their opinion. ("You rank my school high and I'll rank yours high, too") Students' pre-PA school GPA/GRE scores/HCE hours, clinical rotations, PANCE pass rates, etc. are not even used to calculate the results.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldnt agree more with EMEDPA. Quality rotations is the most important feature of a PA program. Every accredited PA program had basically the same didactic, the difference between a PA-C and a PA unable to pass the boards is the person behind it. The harder you work, the more chances youll pass the boards. Its not the PA program that makes you a good PA, its your level of involvement and commitment.

I couldnt agree more with EMEDPA. Quality rotations is the most important feature of a PA program. Every accredited PA program had basically the same didactic, the difference between a PA-C and a PA unable to pass the boards is the person behind it. The harder you work, the more chances youll pass the boards. Its not the PA program that makes you a good PA, its your level of involvement and commitment.

I agree rotations are important. Some schools have students set up all of their rotations. This sounds like an amazing amount of hassle. Also key, in my opinion, is that the school is part of a medical center so you have access to really great resources, such as expert guest lecturers and a cadaver lab.

I agree rotations are important. Some schools have students set up all of their rotations. This sounds like an amazing amount of hassle. Also key, in my opinion, is that the school is part of a medical center so you have access to really great resources, such as expert guest lecturers and a cadaver lab.

You have come a long way son..

You have come a long way son..

Archived