How did you study for the GRE?

I used the GRE study guide made by ETS. ETS is the same folks who make the GRE exam, so it was really helpful getting familiar with the terminology and test layout. The math portions took up most of my study time because it had been a little while since I had taken a math class. All in all, it was very similar to the ACT's in my opinion. Best of luck!

The ETS website has a program you can download for free. It has two full length exams that are pretty similar to the actual thing. I tried the Kaplan book and the Princeton Review and the PR was the better one BY FAR. Take the practice exams to see where you are in your math/verbal abilities. My verbal has always been strong so I didnt really focus on it. Its a good idea to get vocab cards cuz there's no way anyone's vocab is so extensive. The ETS website also has ALL of the essay topics you can potentially see in test day so make sure to practice a few of those to get the hang of the timing. Make sure you time yourself as well to mimic test day. Good luck!!

I just bought a book of practice tests and did those. I don't remember which book I ended up with, but I do remember that I returned a Kaplan book after finding 6 errors (not just typos) in the first two pages of math problems.

After a couple of practice tests, you will have a good idea where your weaknesses lie and you can focus on them. Then you can go back to the practice tests to get your timing down.

I studied for 2-3 weeks off a few books based on what the citizens of the internet said took a few practice exams, honestly only 3 schools I applied to needed the GRE's, but it is worthwhile taking now because the trend is that a lot of schools are requiring them now to cut down on the number of eligible applicants. Take them once, try to get around average on everything, and you're golden.

I took the new GRE when it was half price with the expectation that I would take it again. I didn't and apparently my scores were good enough. I agree that it's somewhat of a formality and let's programs know that you can take a standardized test. I'm sure some consider it more heavily. Just familiarize yourself with the format and bring a snack. It's a long day and you won't want to do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used a kaplan book and studied the "100 most tested math concepts" while doing practice problems for those. I also memorized the 200 most commonly tested words for the verbal section, and whenever I did practice questions for verbal I would circle the words for which I didn't know the meaning, and then look them up afterwards. I took the kaplan practice tests from the book and I think there were some from ETS also.

Oh well lucky most of you and I agree from what I have been seen so far it doesn't have much to do with PA school. Beattie228 did you purchase the study guide from the ETS site?

Yeah, I bought it off of their website. I want to say it was like $20. The GRE was one of the least important aspects of the application process in my opinion, so don't stress it too much. For the schools that do want it, the overall feeling is they use it as another hoop to have the candidates jump through because of the thousand plus students applying for 30-35 seats. Some programs will tell you they look at GRE scores when two candidates are neck and neck as the deciding factor. The new GRE did away with those brutal tree is to wood as rabbit is to ______ questions, so the vocabulary portions are mainly reading comprehension and deciphering the meaning of a word using context clues.

The new GRE did away with those brutal tree is to wood as rabbit is to ______ questions, so the vocabulary portions are mainly reading comprehension and deciphering the meaning of a word using context clues.

I think at one point in time during that section I had to pinch myself to give me something else to be mad about.:heheh:

I didn't study very much and did above average. It was easier than I expected. I bought the ETS book and went through the concept reviews and read a bit about how the test is structured. I bought flash cards too but they're still in the cellophane, haha. I spent a couple hours reviewing the math just because there's some stuff you don't use on a regular basis, but I didn't spend time memorizing a million new vocabulary words. I don't think you have to kill yourself studying; I agree that they're more of a formality than anything. I'd focus on HCE more than GRE. Good luck!

I used kaplan vocab cards every night for 2 weeks for just 20 min or so starting dec 1st. Then I finished my undergrad exams mid-dec, crammed the GRE from barrons's practice book and the kaplan vocab cards for 3 days, took and owned the GRE, promptly forgot anything GRE-related and celebrated christmas with my family. I recommend this approach.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to take the computerized practice test on the ets website. The first time I took the GRE I didn't do this and was totally thrown off by taking the test on the computer. I was used to being able to scribble all over the problems and you obviously can't do this on a computer. I would also recommend getting (or making, if you have the time) vocab flashcards...there are some crazy words on the GRE. I got some for like $10 on amazon. Here's the link. http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-New-GRE-Vocabulary-Flashcards/dp/1607148536. I also got a Kaplan GRE book and reviewed math concepts. I would definitely recommend this if it's been a while since you did algebra, geometry, etc. Good luck!

• Administrator
Any of you guys been out of school for some time and still felt the GRE to be easy? My scores are now over 5 years old so I have to retake it.

Yep. Last took the GRE about 17 years before I did for PA school. Having studied 3 additional languages since the first time, my verbal went up from 700 to 760, but the rest was unchanged, except that they no longer scaled analytical on the same scale, having replaced it with an essay. Didn't feel the need to hit any refresher stuff, and my math still was pegged at 800's.

MAGOOSH.COM

That's my recommendation. I used it and it's awesome. It's like a Khan Academy (if any of you don't know what that is, that's also amazing) - it's an online study tool that has online video lesson for EVERY math and verbal topic that the REVISED GRE covers... and it also offers hundreds of practice test questions. You can filter practice tests questions by topic AND difficulty level so it's totally customizable. In addition to the video lessons and practice tests, there are also video explanations for every single test question, so you can learn what you did wrong and how to do it correctly the next time around.

The premium package is $99 I think. I got it on sale last year right before the holidays for $50. Not sure if there are any specials going on right now. But it was WORTH EVERY PENNY, it totally saved my life, and I felt prepared when I went into the actual test.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I bought it off of their website. I want to say it was like $20. The GRE was one of the least important aspects of the application process in my opinion, so don't stress it too much. For the schools that do want it, the overall feeling is they use it as another hoop to have the candidates jump through because of the thousand plus students applying for 30-35 seats. Some programs will tell you they look at GRE scores when two candidates are neck and neck as the deciding factor. The new GRE did away with those brutal tree is to wood as rabbit is to ______ questions, so the vocabulary portions are mainly reading comprehension and deciphering the meaning of a word using context clues.
From everything I have read and seen the GRE is similar to O'Chem - just another horrible tactic to weed people out. :mad:

I actually took a Kaplan prep class, which I found to be really helpful. They're expensive, but my top choice school requires it, and I didn't want to take any chances on not doing well. I have a pretty dismal history on math problems, and they have a really solid approach to figuring out the math problems without getting discouraged or guessing (my top two methods of math problem completion ;) ).

Archived