Favorite EMR (outpatient)

So I am going to start working at a pcp office that is currently looking to implement emr as it is still paper charting. I have used Alteer Office (nice, but slow and sometimes buggy), Epic (inpatient), and a couple of other ones that I can't remember. For those of you who have used various EMR's, which ones did you like best and why?

My experience is limited to Practice Partner - easy and logical to use. Our small family practice clinic just joined a bigger clinic and we are now using their software - I believe it is called IC chart. I hate it, very difficult and not logical or user friendly at all. Even getting a simple message to someone is a PITA!

used allscripts, Practice Fusion and GE Centricity

All were okay - PF is free so I am using that for my company - seems okay - but a high volume one would be tough I think....

GE Centricity is HUGE $$$$ software, hardware, training, maintenance contracts...... big big $$$ but it is nice and my favorite if someone else is paying for it.

Allscripts was an older version with a lot of quick text, was really not all that bad.

Honestly as I write this I suspect I will like PF the most in the long run when you consider the cost equation - just can't see (in primary care anyways) and extra 10-25k per year for IT and software....

Also, suspect there will be a HUGE decrease in the price of these systems when the federal funds dry up and this will cause a HUGE shrinkage of the number of vendors - therefor I would say only go with one of the huge players....

I personally like the cloud as I don't have to back up anything and don't have to keep anything but a working internet connection, but in the long run I will grow uncomfortable with this and want some type of local back up......

used allscripts, Practice Fusion and GE Centricity

All were okay - PF is free so I am using that for my company - seems okay - but a high volume one would be tough I think....

GE Centricity is HUGE $$$$ software, hardware, training, maintenance contracts...... big big $$$ but it is nice and my favorite if someone else is paying for it.

Allscripts was an older version with a lot of quick text, was really not all that bad.

Honestly as I write this I suspect I will like PF the most in the long run when you consider the cost equation - just can't see (in primary care anyways) and extra 10-25k per year for IT and software....

Also, suspect there will be a HUGE decrease in the price of these systems when the federal funds dry up and this will cause a HUGE shrinkage of the number of vendors - therefor I would say only go with one of the huge players....

I personally like the cloud as I don't have to back up anything and don't have to keep anything but a working internet connection, but in the long run I will grow uncomfortable with this and want some type of local back up......

PF is what I'm using now. Good: free....umm that's about it. Bad: takes way too long to chart. A 99213 takes me 9-12 minutes. Also No auto save and it is prone to crashing thanks to its unstable flash platform. There is no native scan software so my staff has to scan to pc then upload to PF. One extra step for my busy MAs. Did I mention no auto save? This is the biggest problem b/c when you are close to finishing a note, this is when the flash decides to crash negating all your hard work....the quick text sucks also oh ya and there's no auto save....but It's free....

I like Allscripts from the demo I got to play with. I have used EPIC, meditab, Nextgen, Cerner, and PF. I like meditab for its quick charting, but expensive, nextgen for its total pkg but expensive, did not care for EPIC or Cerner. Too much free text like PF....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

no emr is as fast as paper and/or dictation.

we went to epic 10 yrs ago and had to double staff to see the same # of pts/day.

ugh.... maybe with dictation, but T-sheets STINK and are horribly SLOW......

a nice hard wired voice to print (dragon) that has been trained well in a quite setting rocks..... paired with even a okay EMR makes it fast

We ave been using DrChrono.com in our practice since April. It is iPad based, and has a web-interface. Charting is accomplished with checkboxes and pull down lists. The content of the template and final record is totally controlled by user, and we have completely customized our HPI, ROS, PE and plans to our specialized needs in reconstructive plastics. It has medical grade, adaptive dictation built right in (my dictation accuracy is now about 95-99% accurate).

It is free out of the box, but unlocking the higher level functions (electronic fax and dictation) requires a monthly subscription per provider. They upgrade the program multiple times per month, and it has an iPhone app too which allows basic functions such accessing the record and making appointments, but not charting. You use the camera on the iPhone and iPad to take clinical and profile pictures which are attached to the record. We send hard copy docs to our fax, which can be attached electronically to the record. It integrates seamlessly with Square to accept credit cards for payments and copays. There is electronic prescribing. I can generate a record, and transact all visit functions, where ever I have internet access.

I have watched others in our facility use EHRs such as PF and others, and nothing holds a candle to the ease of use and speed of Dr. Chrono. Most visits, all my charting is rapidly done just going through the templates we have modified and developed. I quickly dictate an HPI, specifics of the PE, and a plan. 90% of the time, I complete the record and fax a signed copy to the referring provider and preop right from my iPad, before the patient even leaves the office. This is much faster that handwriting and dictating charts in that I can transact all of the functions I need to do with a record and patient data electronically and seamlessly, right from my portable device, and not rely on others in and out of the practice to do these functions for me.

We ave been using DrChrono.com in our practice since April. It is iPad based, and has a web-interface. Charting is accomplished with checkboxes and pull down lists. The content of the template and final record is totally controlled by user, and we have completely customized our HPI, ROS, PE and plans to our specialized needs in reconstructive plastics. It has medical grade, adaptive dictation built right in (my dictation accuracy is now about 95-99% accurate).

It is free out of the box, but unlocking the higher level functions (electronic fax and dictation) requires a monthly subscription per provider. They upgrade the program multiple times per month, and it has an iPhone app too which allows basic functions such accessing the record and making appointments, but not charting. You use the camera on the iPhone and iPad to take clinical and profile pictures which are attached to the record. We send hard copy docs to our fax, which can be attached electronically to the record. It integrates seamlessly with Square to accept credit cards for payments and copays. There is electronic prescribing. I can generate a record, and transact all visit functions, where ever I have internet access.

I have watched others in our facility use EHRs such as PF and others, and nothing holds a candle to the ease of use and speed of Dr. Chrono. Most visits, all my charting is rapidly done just going through the templates we have modified and developed. I quickly dictate an HPI, specifics of the PE, and a plan. 90% of the time, I complete the record and fax a signed copy to the referring provider and preop right from my iPad, before the patient even leaves the office. This is much faster that handwriting and dictating charts in that I can transact all of the functions I need to do with a record and patient data electronically and seamlessly, right from my portable device, and not rely on others in and out of the practice to do these functions for me.

I have to check out Dr. Chrono. My SP and I were throwing around the idea of using an iPad and i would kill to have a chart done before the pt left my office.....

Thanks Steve

I have to check out Dr. Chrono. My SP and I were throwing around the idea of using an iPad and i would kill to have a chart done before the pt left my office.....

Thanks Steve

Some caveats.

1. While it flat works right out of the box, I have invested significant time in fine tuning the templates so that the HPIs, PMH, PEs, and ROS, etc., are consistent with our H and P style. I have also created custom templates (e.g., surgical orders). It has been a good time investment as it helps our time bottom line tremendously as our clinics are short but heavily scheduled.

2. The monthly fee seems pricey ($199 per provider per month at our level of service), however the $400 we pay monthly for the two of us is more than offset in time, and dictation costs. The customer service is nice (included), and they set up online one-to-ones at the beginning to help you with everything you need to know about using and customizing the software.

3. There is no limit to the staff that you can add to access the records and software for administrative purposes.

4. The dictation takes time and diligence on your part at first to correct errors on the fly to "train" the intergrated medical grade dictation software. It is worth the effort and gets noticeably better with each use. Like I said, it is nearly flawless for me now. It still has problems with unusual personal names.

We can talk offline if you choose to go this route, and I would be happy to give you the benefit of my experience so far.

Some caveats.

1. While it flat works right out of the box, I have invested significant time in fine tuning the templates so that the HPIs, PMH, PEs, and ROS, etc., are consistent with our H and P style. I have also created custom templates (e.g., surgical orders). It has been a good time investment as it helps our time bottom line tremendously as our clinics are short but heavily scheduled.

2. The monthly fee seems pricey ($199 per provider per month at our level of service), however the $400 we pay monthly for the two of us is more than offset in time, and dictation costs. The customer service is nice (included), and they set up online one-to-ones at the beginning to help you with everything you need to know about using and customizing the software.

3. There is no limit to the staff that you can add to access the records and software for administrative purposes.

4. The dictation takes time and diligence on your part at first to correct errors on the fly to "train" the intergrated medical grade dictation software. It is worth the effort and gets noticeably better with each use. Like I said, it is nearly flawless for me now. It still has problems with unusual personal names.

We can talk offline if you choose to go this route, and I would be happy to give you the benefit of my experience so far.

Thanks Steve. I'll PM you of we decide to look into it....

Joe

We also tried PF at first but we liked the idea of using the iPad better inside the examining room and finish our charting while patient is still in the office. We chose Dr Chrono an it's working very well now. Primary Practice small facility.

However, let me give you a piece of advice: Dr Chrono was first developed to work for iPads, but in the last few months, we saw online that it was now also supported by Android tablets. Well, it's not true. We spent unnecessary time (a couple of weeks) dealing with substandard applications working android system, but we liked the program enough so we switched to iPads and immediately the program worked beautifully. Just like the many you-tube videos they have for training sessions.

I don't know if or when Dr Chrono will be efficient enough on Android, but as of last week, it's not even close to the iPad system. We love it. Very easy to use. Very straight fwd to learn, and you can have simple, generic templates if you choose, or become creative and outrageous with your own. I like that. Works perfect in primary care where we see a little bit of everything.

Archived