Responding to in-flight emergencies as a PA

Over the past few months I've twice responded to "is there a medical professional on the aircraft".  Once was for a young otherwise healthy male who had near syncope, likely d/t mild dehydration and mild hypoglycemia; today was an older male with pulmonary fibrosis who became hypoxic & syncopized.

Several observations:

• I've not had any issues with flight attendants not giving me access to the medical equipment and medications the aircraft carries.  Some PA's have reported that has been an issue in the past.
  • The flight attendants are very grateful for any and all help, because their backup is an app on their cell phones.
  • The contents of the aircraft's medical equipment is limited: poor stethoscope, electric BP cuff, glucometer should be there (but wasn't once), pulse oximeter that should be there, but was present in only 1 of 2 kits on the aircraft, and very limited meds, e.g. only respiratory med was a tiny albuterol MDI.
  • Pilot's key goal: getting the info to decide whether they need to declare a medical emergency and divert or land as fast as possible.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

today was an older male with pulmonary fibrosis who became hypoxic & syncopized.

4 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Pilot's key goal: getting the info to decide whether they need to declare a medical emergency and divert or land as fast as possible

What was the final decision? 

• Like 1

We were closest to our destination, so pilot declared a medical emergency, and we went straight to the gate.  Pt had improved with supplemental O2 from the tiny tanks and the masks from the aircraft, a couple of hits from the albuterol MDI from the aircraft's medical kit and a dose of PO prednisone from the pt's meds.  Also, landing seemed to help a lot.  Pt lives at about 800'.  Even with landing in Denver, the improved pressure on the ground vs at altitude helped.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

We were closest to our destination, so pilot declared a medical emergency, and we went straight to the gate.  Pt had improved with supplemental O2 from the tiny tanks and the masks from the aircraft, a couple of hits from the albuterol MDI from the aircraft's medical kit and a dose of PO prednisone from the pt's meds.  Also, landing seemed to help a lot.  Pt lives at about 800'.  Even with landing in Denver, the improved pressure on the ground vs at altitude helped.

strong work!

I have yet to have to respond - but with ER, UC and primary care experience I feel like I would be far better then the OB/GYN or pathologist that responds - but admittedly I might defer to an experienced Medic, and I will get a coffee and hold a towel for EMDPA (or any other rocking ER PA)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
On 10/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, ventana said:

I have yet to have to respond - but with ER, UC and primary care experience I feel like I would be far better then the OB/GYN or pathologist that responds - but admittedly I might defer to an experienced Medic, and I will get a coffee and hold a towel for EMDPA (or any other rocking ER PA)

I think I've told this story here before, but about 20 years ago, a previous supervisor had tried to fly cross-country to speak at a conference while not feeling well. He had pneumonia, and decompensated pretty badly at altitude. They made an overhead announcement for him, and got one paramedic and one physician--he didn't remember what specialty, but guessing not EM or Anesthesia.

We all know who was more useful managing an airway with limited tools.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rev ronin said:

We all know who was more useful managing an airway with limited tools.

Clearly it must have been the all-knowing, all powerful physician. I've been advised that they are all smarter than everyone, everywhere, all the time. I'd bet they could even fly the plane better than the pilots. 

At least that's what SDN says. 

• Like 1

It has happened to me a few times. The first time I was literally the only health care provider on the plane. Hypoglycemic crisis in IDDM patient. It was a pretty easy fix but the heat was on because the pilot was standing right behind me saying he needed to know if he needed to jettison fuel and land in England. We took off from Germany.

The last time we were on our way home from Hawaii and they made the call but specifically said "doctor" so I hesitated. I finally asked the flight attendant and she said yes... there were 3 doctors seeing to the patient. They were all in coach and I was in first class. (Cue WAHH WAHH on the trombone).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

It has happened to me a few times. The first time I was literally the only health care provider on the plane. Hypoglycemic crisis in IDDM patient. It was a pretty easy fix but the heat was on because the pilot was standing right behind me saying he needed to know if he needed to jettison fuel and land in England. We took off from Germany.

The last time we were on our way home from Hawaii and they made the call but specifically said "doctor" so I hesitated. I finally asked the flight attendant and she said yes... there were 3 doctors seeing to the patient. They were all in coach and I was in first class. (Cue WAHH WAHH on the trombone).

I have had two: one was just like yours(took insulin and didn't eat. better with a coke). #2 was nauseated and got better with a zofran from my personal stash.