Requesting PTO before/after giving 90 day notice

I am a new PA in my first job (have been there 1 year) and have accepted an offer from a new position. This new job will start December 1st and I was planning to turn in my 90 day notice the last week of August (like the 28th or 29th). However, I have a week in October where I was wanting to take PTO to visit family. I have not requested this time off yet and I wasn’t sure what the best way to go about this would be. I’m scared if I request the PTO and then turn in my notice the next week it will look shady. But, I also am worried it would be in poor taste to turn in my notice first and then try to request PTO. If anyone who is more experienced with changing jobs and these kind of situations, I would appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks!

Submit PTO now. Hopefully this will be approved before you submit your resignation. You're using the benefits you're entitled to so it shouldn't reflect poorly on you, especially since you're giving them notice. If you wait to request PTO after you submit your resignation, you run the chance of it being denied for a made-up reason cuz they feel like sticking it to you for leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hemmingway said:

It will depend on local policy. Many places won't approve PTO after you have submitted your resignation and may cancel any previously approved.

That's lame. Interesting to read about other's experiences. I've successfully used my PTO after resigning at all my places (one place required more elbow grease to get it done), so my N is that many do approve and honor previously approved PTO.

• Thanks 1

I had 2 previous employers who wouldn't let you put in for PTO after submitting a resignation and one who would cancel any that were pending. Both wouldn't let you take sick leave changing it to unpaid time...which I'm pretty sure isn't legal.

Its one of the reasons I tell people work is a business relationship. They aren't your buddies or your work family. You can certainly have a friendly relationship but when it comes to the nut cutting its a business and they will be the first to remind you.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hemmingway said:

I had 2 previous employers who wouldn't let you put in for PTO after submitting a resignation and one who would cancel any that were pending. Both wouldn't let you take sick leave changing it to unpaid time...which I'm pretty sure isn't legal.

Its one of the reasons I tell people work is a business relationship. They aren't your buddies or your work family. You can certainly have a friendly relationship but when it comes to the nut cutting its a business and they will be the first to remind you.

Yeah, the first to remind you of your contractual obligations yet first to break them when it's convenient to them.

• Upvote 1

I left a hospital last year who's policies were: 1. If you turn in notice you can no longer take PTO, must be non pay, if allowed at all. 2. We did not get paid out for unused PTO or sick time, just SOL! 
you better find out rules in advance. I luckily realized just prior to turning in resignation letter, so I delayed, and immediately used up everything I could, within reason, then turned in resignation. 

• Upvote 1