Everyone says I should be an RN or NP

When I talk to classmates, friends, community members and I say I want to be a PA, most of them tell me I should go for NP. When I tell them my fall back plan (in case I can't get into PA school) is Respiratory Therapy, they all say I should go for RN. I tell them I would hate being responsible for all-day, total-body care like a nurse, they still say, be a nurse. More options they say, more jobs, more money.

What do you guys say?

Also, it really bothers me that I can't just meet the PA prerequisites and get on a wait list like you can for nursing school. It seems like there's always gonna be someone our there with a better GPA or more experience ready to grab "my spot" at PA school. There's plenty of work for PAs, right? So how about opening up a few more schools and letting me in so all those hours doing chemistry calculations and drawing resonance structures weren't a complete waste of time!?

My husband wanted me to go the RN-NP route. He is an RN and he liked the idea of possible independent practice for me (and maybe both of us) down the line. It was also cheaper and would allow me to receive income within a year. I was really torn and was accepted to both PA school and a direct-entry NP program (not a junky one- you had an accelerated 1 year that led to your RN, then you worked for 1 year as a RN and then spent your last 2 years working as an RN and completing the NP education). I knew 5 minutes into the interview at the RN-NP program that it wasn't for me. I am not at all interested in being a nurse and I honestly don't think my personality fits there. I also want the training that PA school offers. I do not have a strong medical background (though my science background is solid) and one of the things I like about my program is that there are 15 months of clinical rotations! My husband, on the other hand, is an awesome nurse and his patients and co-workers love him. My point is that only you know yourself well enough to decide which career path is the right one for you.

Just stating what I have seen from experience from numerous nursing schools in my area. A lot of them are the accelerated BSN programs which is a huge shock to me...It seems they are out more for the money than getting the RIGHT people into their programs. It is very shameful on the BON and I agree you should have to re-apply each year.

Hi hubbardtim48!

I'm a RT and don't mind my profession. I don't love it by any means and that a big reason why i'm going to PA school. I thought about being a nurse but then figured out it wasn't for me and went the RT route instead. It can be a repetitive and thankless job but so can any other job out there. You get out of it what you put into it. The best thing for you to do is shadow both RT and RN and see what you like the best.

I think you need to evaluate what your true goal is, becoming a PA or to becoming a provider. Being a RN opens the NP door for you, as well as routes to administration roles in the hospital should you decide to go a different direction. The job market is more difficult for RTs as well, so keep that in mind. The RT-PA school route worked for me, but if I were to do it again, I would of went into nursing, giving myself more choices in which to become a provider.

It sounds like you have given thought and introspection to your career choices. Many laypeople only understand "doctor" and "nurse" as viable healthcare professions, and probably mean well with their suggestions. You may have to educate them.

I don't understand your reasoning behind wait-lists for PA programs, though. The education for each of these are at two completely different levels, and there's no way to even compare them. One of the reasons an advanced degree holds more prestige and salary potential is due the competitive nature of the programs. I'm guessing you wouldn't want a doctor who had simply met the prerequisites and waited several years to get into med school. If PAs affirm they are providing almost the same level of care and expertise, they should be held to the same high entrance standards. When people ask me why I'm not applying to medical school, I'm proud to tell them that many PA schools are more difficult to get into than medical schools, and that the programs themselves are more demanding in some ways. Anyway, many PA programs get over 1000 applications each year, so this wouldn't be practical. Continue to work hard towards your goal of PA, and you'll be very proud of yourself when you make it through the application process.

I've never seen a wait list that extended from one year to the next and I've never seen direct evidence of this. I won't believe it until I see it. I've seen a lot too as an actual BSN, RN who trained nursing students on my unit.

As far as being an RN, hated it. At least after the first year I did, when all the other old cranky nurses wear on you. The first year in the ICU were exhilarating and I learned more there than 5 semesters of BSN.

All I have to say as far as your choice is do what you want and don't be dissuaded so easily. I was and pay for it every day.

It depends a lot on the facility, but mostly fun. Some facilities are nice for different reasons, at a community hospitals you can have a great scope (even doing some suturing and the like if you already know or have a cool doc to teach you on a slow night), larger places you see more pathology. The autonomy is pretty good everywhere I've been after you demonstrate you aren't an idiot.

I liked the undifferentiated illness that you had to, at least, somewhat figure out before you shipped them on out the door/up to the floor. I hated being a baby-sitter for drunks, crack heads, prisoners trying to get out of jail, ect. Though it was more good than bad IMO, and I plan on going back to the ER as a provider as soon as I can.

ETA: It's also a young nurse game for the most part, so most of the old cranky nurses aren't around giving you crap.

Regarding wait lists and having someone bigger and better than you out there. If you're doing it correctly you will eventually be that better applicant when you apply. When you don't get in one year you should be improving your application for next year. That means more HCE, more classes to improve your GPAs, and more community service. That to me is the equivillent to RN wait lists. Keep your head up, do your best, and make your self that big fish.

Archived