YALE 2022 Cycle (ONLINE)

Did everyone else just get this email?? My heart literally sank as I thought it was going to be a rejection email. I feel like this may be why they’ve held off doing any further admissions. Hopefully we will all hear something soon. 

Dear Applicants to the Yale Physician Assistant (PA) Online Program:

Thank you for applying to the Yale School of Medicine (YSM) Physician Assistant (PA) Online Program. We are writing with an important announcement about the Program’s accreditation status.

The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) is the organization responsible for accrediting PA training programs. When the Yale PA Online Program launched in 2017, ARC-PA granted it Accreditation-Provisional status for a period of up to five years from the matriculation of the first class.

The Yale PA Online Program just completed an accreditation review process and the ARC-PA has informed us that it has placed the program on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in June 2024. Probation accreditation is a temporary accreditation status of at least two years. That period may be extended by the ARC-PA for up to an additional two years if it finds that the program is making substantial progress toward meeting accreditation standards.

YSM and the Yale PA Online Program are committed to addressing the concerns that the ARC-PA raised in this review process, which include the need to enhance program analytics and clinical year assessment tools, to ensure sufficiency of faculty to support the growing administrative needs of the program, and to enhance promotion pathways for PA faculty. We are focused on obtaining Accreditation-Continued status as soon as possible and are taking all necessary steps to respond to the issues the ARC-PA raised. Providing our students with an outstanding education, so that they become highly-qualified PAs, is central to our mission.

We want to share a few facts to address concerns you may have:

• The Yale PA Online Program remains an accredited program while in Accreditation-Probation status.
  • The program will continue to admit students during its regular admissions cycle and can admit future cohorts under the Accreditation-Probation status.
  • There is no change to didactic or clinical instruction under this status. The program will continue to deliver an innovative didactic and clinical rotation experience for every student in the program.
  • The program will continue to provide the resources necessary to our students, present and past. 
  • The Accreditation-Probation status has no effect on students’ degrees. Students still will earn an MMSc once they meet the degree requirements and will be awarded their degrees as scheduled. 
  • Because the program is still accredited, all graduates can take the PANCE.
  • The program’s Accreditation-Probation status has no bearing on graduates’ ability to obtain licensure. The primary requirements for licensure are graduation from an accredited program and NCCPA certification.

We also want to share a link to accreditation FAQs we have posted on our website.

Please note that at the end of this letter we share the language provided by the ARC-PA to communicate about the change in our accreditation status. 

We hope this communication addresses your concerns. However, if you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out at paonlinequestions@yale.edu. 

Sincerely,

Jessica Illuzzi, MD, MS

Deputy Dean for Education and Harold W. Jockers Professor of Medical Education and Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences

3 hours ago, Axr1982 said:

Yeah that’s not the best. One would expect to see a program go from provisional to accredited.

Well the way I looked at it anyone that gets accepted to this cohort would graduate under the probation period. They are also the first fully online program so I’m sure they are being scrutinized a bit harder than other programs. But definitely does call for some concern. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1PAofTheFuture said:

How do you know they were canceled? I’m hoping to get pulled from the waitlist 

If you check their upcoming interview dates, you can see the upcoming sessions, there are no longer options past 9/15 when there used to be options into the first week of October, theres only 4 more groups left (approx 24 people, 6 per time right?)

Edited by literalscreaming

@brich22 I also received that accreditation-probational email. I'm an accepted student. So, I was definitely concerned...

I'm interested to see what they have to say in the Town Hall meeting. The important thing to take away for now is that those accepted into the program will be able to graduate with an MMSc and be able to take the PANCE. As long as the school holds an accreditation status (could be continued, provisional, or probational) upon matriculation, then students can graduate AND sit for the PANCE. 

I do echo what someone else said... Yale is one of the first PA online/hybrid programs. So, I'm sure they are being held under a microscope. In addition, accreditation status changes all the time and I'm sure Yale will be working hard to come off probational status. 

The other consideration is WHY did they receive the probational status... If PANCE pass rates are still high and its some random issue like running data the right way (which it def could be), then I'm less concerned. I'm happy to update people on here after the Town Hall meeting with any info we learn. 

• Like 2