UW 2022-2023 Application cycle

Just got done completing a patient exam and I got the call at 9:30AM as I walked out of the room. I got into the Seattle campus and I can't wait to meet everyone in the class. Today was actually my birthday so it was the best birthday gift I could ask for. I had doubts after seeing people got calls yesterday and everyone I met at the interview were amazing. I really was unsure about getting in. To those who got accepted, can't wait to learn with and learn from y'all. To those who got waitlisted, hope I see you as my classmate or as a PA colleague. And to those who got rejected, keep at it and hope to see you as a PA someday. Everyone at that interview was honestly such high caliber candidates and I have no doubts y'all will get accepted to a PA program. 

• Like 4

Welp, I shouldn't have been feeling good about the interviews, but I got the email today that I was rejected. I got waitlisted at Yale, but apparently I'm not good enough for UW to bother waitlisting.

And I do feel like my interview went extremely well, so I'm lost as to how I can improve. My app is very strong.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, krenolds said:

Welp, I shouldn't have been feeling good about the interviews, but I got the email today that I was rejected. I got waitlisted at Yale, but apparently I'm not good enough for UW to bother waitlisting.

And I do feel like my interview went extremely well, so I'm lost as to how I can improve. My app is very strong.

I’m pretty dismayed as well. Never even received an interview invite. I have a 3.9 science and cumulative GPA, 10k hours PCE between EMT, paramedic, & ED tech, and 600-ish volunteer hours with a rural fire department.

Not sure what they want from me. Would anyone who got accepted be willing to look at my PS and essays?

On 11/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, krenolds said:

Don’t feel bad. I got rejected at Yale. You are going to get in at some point. Keep your chin up. You can do this. 

3 hours ago, jlevinson said:

I’m pretty dismayed as well. Never even received an interview invite. I have a 3.9 science and cumulative GPA, 10k hours PCE between EMT, paramedic, & ED tech, and 600-ish volunteer hours with a rural fire department.

Not sure what they want from me. Would anyone who got accepted be willing to look at my PS and essays?

When did you submit your app? I was rejected without an interview invite the first cycle. I submitted in September that time. Then I went to a reapplicant session and did everything they said. My GPA is lower than yours, my PCE is closer to 7K if I remember correctly, and I had a ton of volunteer hours. I was also a disadvantaged applicant with experience working with the underserved. I submitted the first week of June my second time around and received the interview invite for the first round of interviews that went out. I improved my app by tacking on even more direct patient care hours and volunteer hours, to include working at free clinic. I was recently accepted. I think applying earlier and beefing up the app just a bit helped a lot. 

Hope this is helpful. You will get there. I remember feeling defeated. Just keep your chin up. The next cycle will be starting before you know it. Just save all of your CASPA entries to include your PS because sometimes it doesn’t transfer over into the next cycle. I didn’t change my PS between cycles. Just added more experiences. 

11 hours ago, SoCalPrePa1 said:

Haven’t heard anything yet since Seattle is my first choice and they already sent out the last set of interviews but I’m assuming I’m going to receive a rejection letter 😞

From checking other forums they did a “catch all” interview before class started, and they may do that this year . There is some hope 😊.  I understand how stressful this process can feel at times but don’t give up . 

• Like 1

Hi all! My name is Kelli and I’m a current Kona 3 didactic student! Congrats on all who have gotten in and waitlisted! This is seriously such a great program! For those of you waiting keep up the hope, it’s so tough but I remember being in your exact place. 

if anyone has any questions about the program or the interview process feel free to message me. I’ll try my best to help in whatever manner I can!:) 

• Like 4

On 11/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, AyoAvocados said:

Just got done completing a patient exam and I got the call at 9:30AM as I walked out of the room. I got into the Seattle campus and I can't wait to meet everyone in the class. Today was actually my birthday so it was the best birthday gift I could ask for. I had doubts after seeing people got calls yesterday and everyone I met at the interview were amazing. I really was unsure about getting in. To those who got accepted, can't wait to learn with and learn from y'all. To those who got waitlisted, hope I see you as my classmate or as a PA colleague. And to those who got rejected, keep at it and hope to see you as a PA someday. Everyone at that interview was honestly such high caliber candidates and I have no doubts y'all will get accepted to a PA program. 

Happy late birthday. 😊 Congrats!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kellspi said:

Hi all! My name is Kelli and I’m a current Kona 3 didactic student! Congrats on all who have gotten in and waitlisted! This is seriously such a great program! For those of you waiting keep up the hope, it’s so tough but I remember being in your exact place. 

if anyone has any questions about the program or the interview process feel free to message me. I’ll try my best to help in whatever manner I can!:) 

Kelli! 

I am so glad to hear you were accepted into MEDEX Kona and in your didactic year! You may or may not remember me from a year ago, but I sat in on the Zoom meeting Nikki (Spokane?) had generously set up. (Think: You mentioning that meme with the dog sitting in a burning house with the caption saying "This is fine". During your MEDEX interview, your building's alarm had went off.)

As for me, I applied to MEDEX (amongst many other programs) and have yet to receive any reply outside of the "Criteria Met" email. I will patiently wait and not expect anything. However, I did receive two interviews for other programs. 

DM me so we can catch up!

Hey @jlevinson, it could potentially be your personal statement/secondary essays as you have a really competitive application. In my essays I really emphasized underserved communities and desire to pursue preventative medicine/primary care with supporting experiences and patient encounters. My impression of UW was that it is very mission oriented compared to other schools and they seem to prioritize that over everything else. I will be more than happy to look over your essays if you like. 

On 11/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, jlevinson said:

I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated. From my research and recent interview, they look for a non-traditional applicant that not only fits their mission statement, but that has something that makes them a little "different". I would be happy to look over your PS and essays as well. I was recently accepted as a first time applicant.