I can't make this up

On shift tonight, pt came in c/o dysuria off and on x several months, and I decided to do a pelvic exam. She says, "Oh, I've been to the GYN doctor much more than the regular doctor, so when I get pelvic exams I just sit back and read". So she pulled her book out while getting into position.

I do the exam without any issues. After I go back to my station to chart it, the nurse who was in the room with me asked if I noticed the book she was reading.

"No," I replied. "What was it?"

Nurse: "50 Shades Of Gray".

lol. That's funny.

On shift tonight, pt came in c/o dysuria off and on x several months, and I decided to do a pelvic exam. She says, "Oh, I've been to the GYN doctor much more than the regular doctor, so when I get pelvic exams I just sit back and read". So she pulled her book out while getting into position.

I do the exam without any issues. After I go back to my station to chart it, the nurse who was in the room with me asked if I noticed the book she was reading.

"No," I replied. "What was it?"

Nurse: "50 Shades Of Gray".

So if I understand this correctly, this woman comes to the ER for painful urination that has been intermittent for several months....

I'm no expert, but a pelvic doesn't take long enough to read a couple of pages, does it?

So what sort of attention seeking behavior/DSM IV code would you give her?

Did she have any sx found on direct exam?

So if I understand this correctly, this woman comes to the ER for painful urination that has been intermittent for several months....

I'm no expert, but a pelvic doesn't take long enough to read a couple of pages, does it?

So what sort of attention seeking behavior/DSM IV code would you give her?

Did she have any sx found on direct exam?

You know, at this point, I almost want to hug the patients who DON'T carry some DSM IV diagnosis because they're definitely outnumbered by the rest.

Saw a guy today " dog bite to scrotum"...ok....guy had a few puncture wounds but had wrapped his scrotum completely in duct tape " so my junk won't fall out"....truly, you can not make this stuff up....

the question begging to be asked..... what is the antibacterial property of peanut butter? (sorry)

• Administrator
Saw a guy today " dog bite to scrotum"...ok....guy had a few puncture wounds but had wrapped his scrotum completely in duct tape " so my junk won't fall out"....truly, you can not make this stuff up....

Did you tell him that unless he'd had a vasectomy, that it was all still attached? ;-)

the question begging to be asked..... what is the antibacterial property of peanut butter? (sorry)

I'm on call up here in AK and a guy calls telling me his burned hand still hurts after an Aleve and his covering it in peanut butter wanting to know what else to do. This call is after I had spoken with his girl friend hoiurs earlier and told her not to apply any ointments or salves to the burn!

My grandma and mom both bought the boxed set of all the 50 shades books :=-0: I'll stick with Hemingway and LotR.

On a related note, there has to be a thread on here about the weirdest things pts have done, right? I told a pt, "we need a urine sample, can you go to the bathroom in here?" and handed them a urine cup, they came back with a small stool in it and said "tried really hard, that's all I could get"

Sounds about right. I work at an OB/GYN clinic and of everyone I've ever seen bring a book in while waiting for their annual appointment, 98% of them brought 50 Shades of Grey.

I feel sorry for any doctor who's named Christian Grey.

I also hear these are pretty poorly written books. Lot of hype?

I feel sorry for any doctor who's named Christian Grey.

I also hear these are pretty poorly written books. Lot of hype?

I heard from 2 different sources that the hype is mostly over the explicit content of the book. They also mentioned that the way it was written was simplistic, maybe 8th grade level reading.

Archived