Things that make me go hmmm

On 11/8/2021 at 11:13 PM, jmj11 said:

I was in Morocco a few years ago and there was an ad on TV that kept running where Dr. Oz was promoting a supplement that caused an adult man to grow up to four inches (in height you dirty minds) and it featured a man about 3 inches shorter than his girlfriend and then after three months on the supplement, he was taller than her and she was looking at him with stars in her eyes. It was dubbed over in Arabic, but it was clearly Dr. Oz promoting this worthless crap there. At that moment I realized he would sell his soul for a dollar.

heard it here first

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/30/politics/dr-oz-senate-campaign-pennsylvania/index.html

Just yesterday, pt chronically anemic with known bone marrow dysplasia. A tad more anemic but not bad, Hgb 10. 

Hx of GIB and PUD. RECENT hx of heme positive stool - visible.

He tells me onc is planning bone marrow bx, but no one has checked his stool again or asked about the NSAIDs he has been taking…..

So, how about we look for obvious cause of blood LOSS before we do a bone marrow bx?….

Just a thought

5 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

Pt with h/o advanced adenomas, perforated diverticulitis s/p sigmoid resection with colostomy in place. 300lbs. A1c 10. O2 dependent COPD.

FNP orders cologuard. Positive. Orders another cologuard. Positive. Refer to GI. 

4 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

Urgent message from FNP about a mutual pt. “Pt is anemic, what should we order next?”

Hgb wnl. Hematocrit 33.6.

Ugh.  Just ugh.   Those APP make us all look bad.  

• Thanks 1

Murphy’s Law of COVID medicine and rationed procedures….

We are sending home FIT kits instead of low risk screening colonoscopies since early 2020.

An inordinate number (in my mind) are coming back positive and GI is overwhelmed with need for colonoscopy now when they are trying to limit procedures due to staffing, hospital overload and COVID exposures.

Thankfully a minimum of bad findings but just bizarre…..

My insurance won’t cover Cologuard…. Got the standard little tube take home kit.

14 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Murphy’s Law of COVID medicine and rationed procedures….

We are sending home FIT kits instead of low risk screening colonoscopies since early 2020.

An inordinate number (in my mind) are coming back positive and GI is overwhelmed with need for colonoscopy now when they are trying to limit procedures due to staffing, hospital overload and COVID exposures.

Thankfully a minimum of bad findings but just bizarre…..

My insurance won’t cover Cologuard…. Got the standard little tube take home kit.

the bigger issue here is the people that would have never gotten a colonoscopy and now will do cologuard

Also, with a > 99% neg predictive value there is a fair number of false positives - worth it in my mind - But I do tell patients this so that when I tell them + and need colonoscopy they don't immediately think they have cancer....  seems to defray the worries

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

Lady was convinced she had worms in her poo. I’ve been shown pics of feces many times (of course mostly by women), but this woman had an entire iPhone photo album, approx. 30-40 photos. She had enough to create Bristol mosaic masterpiece.

But did she have worms ??   Inquiring minds need to know.  😳

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SedRate said:

Contacted by EM physician that he saw our pt who is 1 wk s/p hip nail. Pt was sent in by SNF NP for possible compartment syndrome. No pain out of proportion, NV intact, good pulses, skin warm, etc. Pt did have moderate leg edema and some hip pain... 

I don't typically respond to these, however couldn't resist. Two-three years ago(pre-covid) a family member went to ER after falling and knee was very swollen, there was a very bad storm and they couldn't get to ER for almost 7 hours after initial incident, concerned with fracture. .  NP walked in and said, Oh my, you know you may loose your leg, his looks like compartment syndrome, lets call ortho for consult and potential surgery! After expressing concerns with her response, ER doc came in checked them out ordered x ray and maybe other tests, all was fine, but scared the crap out of patient and family unnecessarily. The x-ray tech was more knowledgeable explained concerns, within scope better than NP. 

4 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

I don't typically respond to these, however couldn't resist. Two-three years ago(pre-covid) a family member went to ER after falling and knee was very swollen, there was a very bad storm and they couldn't get to ER for almost 7 hours after initial incident, concerned with fracture. .  NP walked in and said, Oh my, you know you may loose your leg, his looks like compartment syndrome, lets call ortho for consult and potential surgery! After expressing concerns with her response, ER doc came in checked them out ordered x ray and maybe other tests, all was fine, but scared the crap out of patient and family unnecessarily. The x-ray tech was more knowledgeable explained concerns, within scope better than NP. 

*facepalm*

On 11/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, SedRate said:

Walked into a pt's room to discuss surgery and before I could even introduce myself, she instructed me to change the channel until it settled on an acceptable news station. 

Another pt's son asked some questions regarding the specifics of the surgery we performed on his mom. As I was explaining, he kept turning his head to look at the TV.

Maybe I'm a donkeys rear but I turn the TV off shortly after I enter the room. Its an ER, not a damn entertainment room. Its a decent measure of pain level though if you're engrossed in HGTV so much you can't bother to pay attention to your provider.

Exceptions: Elderly, frail, children, and autistic patients. They get to keep the TV.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:07 AM, ventana said:

the bigger issue here is the people that would have never gotten a colonoscopy and now will do cologuard

Also, with a > 99% neg predictive value there is a fair number of false positives - worth it in my mind - But I do tell patients this so that when I tell them + and need colonoscopy they don't immediately think they have cancer....  seems to defray the worries

I work with a lot of uninsured patients and nearly all of our low risk patients ask for FIT tests rather than colonoscopies. Positive initial FIT test? It depends, some go for colonoscopies and others I double check reasons for false positives and recheck a second FIT test. If I find a reason for the false positive or the 2nd one is negative, then we repeat the FIT the following year. Hard to tell my uninsured patient who can barely afford basic living expense to splurge on a colonoscopy when it turns out to be just a false positive.. I always try to talk my patients into at least one colonoscopy early on.

11 hours ago, Colorado said:

Maybe I'm a donkeys rear but I turn the TV off shortly after I enter the room. Its an ER, not a damn entertainment room. Its a decent measure of pain level though if you're engrossed in HGTV so much you can't bother to pay attention to your provider.

Exceptions: Elderly, frail, children, and autistic patients. They get to keep the TV.

Agree. And same. She was elderly. I usually at least introduce myself and then proceed to turn off the TV. But before I even made it all the way into the room, she instructed me to do that. *Facepalm*

The other guy wasn't even involved in the discussion as he was watching TV, but then turned to ask questions as he kept watching the TV. 

12 hours ago, Colorado said:

Positive initial FIT test? It depends, some go for colonoscopies and others I double check reasons for false positives and recheck a second FIT test. If I find a reason for the false positive or the 2nd one is negative, then we repeat the FIT the following year.

Why? I truly want to understand the logic here.