New grads - how long did it take you to find employment?

For those of you that graduated last year or this year, how long did it take you to find employment?

In the ever changing post-COVID marketplace it seems like this golden ticket is no longer valid... I'm one month away from graduation and have applied to dozens of jobs with only one interview. It's getting a little disheartening. 

I'm open to speciality (so long as it gets me experience to transition to EM) and looking between two states in the PNW and yet all the replies I get are, "we need experience." It really does seem no one outside of surgery wants to take on a new graduate.

8 minutes ago, Cideous said:

The new normal for PA's.  Try and do a residency if you can.

I respect these, but I came from a three year school and already have debt that I need to start paying off. From my perspective, the idea of a post-graduate training program puts me at a four year education. That's 3 years less than going to medical school. I'd rather work and teach myself along the way.

When did you start applying to jobs? I tell all my students to start applying for jobs AT LEAST 6 months ahead of time. It takes anywhere between 4-6 months to get a job (from the time you apply to the time you start), even for an experienced PA -- that's the nature of physician and PA jobs, even more so for a hospital-based job. Moreover, once you get a job, remember that it can take 4-6 months to get and start a new job so consider keeping a PRN gig up your sleeve. 

If only surgery jobs are available to you, consider getting a job in Ortho, trauma/general surgery, or some other relevant job that will help you develop skills for EM, and then actively apply to EM jobs until you get one. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 hours ago, cabinsnow said:

.. looking between two states in the PNW ...

If you're looking Portland/Vancouver metro area, that's your problem.  With Pacific, OHSU, and now George Fox churning out graduates, it's a very saturated market, and all the new grads who get hired came from one of those programs, rotated at their first job, and performed/wowed their way into those jobs.

ETA: If you want a job in the Olympia area, PM me.  I know people who are hiring.

Edited by rev ronin
one more thing...
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, SedRate said:

When did you start applying to jobs? I tell all my students to start applying for jobs AT LEAST 6 months ahead of time. It takes anywhere between 4-6 months to get a job (from the time you apply to the time you start), even for an experienced PA -- that's the nature of physician and PA jobs, even more so for a hospital-based job. Moreover, once you get a job, remember that it can take 4-6 months to get and start a new job so consider keeping a PRN gig up your sleeve. 

If only surgery jobs are available to you, consider getting a job in Ortho, trauma/general surgery, or some other relevant job that will help you develop skills for EM, and then actively apply to EM jobs until you get one. 

I started applying 4 months from graduation but I briefly stopped in between after a lot of the responses were either telling me to find experience or apply after licensure in hand. I'm very much open to Ortho since like you mentioned it would be a good bridge to EM. From what I've seen Ortho jobs tend to be very new grad friendly but its just a saturated market at the moment. Thanks for the advice!

On 5/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, SedRate said:

I tell all my students to start applying for jobs AT LEAST 6 months ahead of time.

Are almost-grads going to get the same consideration from jobs if we're still several months away from graduation though? There's no guarantee that student will gain licensure (although the majority of students will pass the PANCE).

6 hours ago, Apollo1 said:

Are almost-grads going to get the same consideration from jobs if we're still several months away from graduation though? There's no guarantee that student will gain licensure (although the majority of students will pass the PANCE).

That's the issue I've run into. I really don't think employers take soon to be grads seriously unless you somehow have an 'in' at a location. That and maybe family medicine. There are just too many variables and I don't think 6 months away in a post-covid world is realistic.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, Apollo1 said:

No, but the point in applying early is exposure to the market, networking, and experience. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I don't want to wait until it's crunch time to try to find a job, especially one that I actually want. 

I gave my CV to every preceptor. Once I realized how difficult it is to find a GOOD job that is open to new grads, I started applying 6 months before graduation. I kept getting told, "No, you don't have a license yet. Try again later." Or, "No, you don't have any experience. Try again later." Thankfully, my second-to-last preceptor was hiring and I got a job offer. They paid for all my expenses including PANCE and license.

And because of my network, within the year after graduation, I had multiple preceptors reach out to me asking about a job. I had one that asked every year for the first three years. Haha

Anyways, it's a little late to be using my advice if you're already graduated, but if there's a will, there's a way. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, cabinsnow said:

That's the issue I've run into. I really don't think employers take soon to be grads seriously unless you somehow have an 'in' at a location. That and maybe family medicine. There are just too many variables and I don't think 6 months away in a post-covid world is realistic.

Maybe, maybe not. You're welcome to do whatever you think is best for your situation. Practices know it takes AT LEAST 3 months to hire someone for a hospital-based job, usually longer. If they like a soon-to-be new grad, they understand it takes time to get licensed and all that. And for the right candidate, they'll wait. Mine waited 5 months from the time I was a student with them to the time I started. It took another 2 months for hospital privileges so that I could even do anything other than clinic. 

By the way, a lot of the good jobs won't get posted -- they're shared by word of mouth. If you want to find a place that will take you seriously and wait for you, network, network, network. 

Do a residency. There are a lot of EM residences out there as well as hospitalist/CC residencies. I graduated last May and started residency last June. I was a paramedic for 10 years prior to PA and even with that experience I still strongly suggest a residency. I've learned a huge amount 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1