2021-2022 Stony Brook Application Thread

1 hour ago, Chlulunow said:

I can't say I agree -- they were very specific about their grievances.  And as someone choosing among schools, I want to get all perspectives, not just the unicorns and butterflies the schools show us.  I can decide for myself how to interpret what the student said, or reach out to them for more detail.

However, I'm sure it's hard to hear for people who just got into the program and are excited by it, or for whom it's their only choice.  

Wow, I never said that you aren't capable of figuring out what you should believe or not believe, however, how do you know that this information is accurate?  Also, if you are offered an interview you get to interact with current students and this is certainly not the picture that they painted, and it wasn't all "unicorns and butterflies", but it was constructive

7 minutes ago, prepaTracy said:

just checked my voicemail and realized i missed a call 😳 now im scared to call them back tomorrow lol. they don’t tell rejections over the phone do they?

try to call them back first thing in the morning! otherwise, im sure they'll give you a call :--)))

• Thanks 1

Guest crystalpa

Also from the SBU program, every concern voiced by the first year student is completely valid. If it isn't clear to everyone already, the jenprepa2022 account is the program assistant trying to invalidate the student's claims. This program has been an incredibly depersonalizing and alienating experience. Like many other students I chose this one because of its reputation, affordable tuition, and name. It all proved to be a facade. Didactic was mostly Zoom due to covid and the few days we were in person were so horribly planned. Barely got any procedure practice, days were wrought with technical difficulties delaying classes by 30min-1 hour. The day we were supposed to practice sutures they even forgot to bring the pig feet and we waited an hour for chicken breasts lol. We lost about 7 classmates due to how little support there was and no one in the faculty ever bothered to reach out to us. Anytime we or student government tried to voice opinions, all we were told is that "we were lucky to be here" and blame was somehow turned on us. I don't think the didactic year student would have posted on a public forum if their concerns had been taken seriously by faculty first. I imagine they'll explain it off as COVID-related reasons if anyone asks. The only good part about the program is that all the classmates are really highly motivated and willing to help eachother out through this dumpster fire of a program. Would really reconsider coming here if you were accepted. In clinicals while there are other students with their fair share of grievances with their programs, I see how many students have had experiences with supportive faculty, simulations, and lots of patient encounter and procedural practice. I'm posting as a frustrated grad of the program because I hate that they will continue to get away with this 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:03 PM, crystalpa said:

Also from the SBU program, every concern voiced by the first year student is completely valid. If it isn't clear to everyone already, the jenprepa2022 account is the program assistant trying to invalidate the student's claims. This program has been an incredibly depersonalizing and alienating experience. Like many other students I chose this one because of its reputation, affordable tuition, and name. It all proved to be a facade. Didactic was mostly Zoom due to covid and the few days we were in person were so horribly planned. Barely got any procedure practice, days were wrought with technical difficulties delaying classes by 30min-1 hour. The day we were supposed to practice sutures they even forgot to bring the pig feet and we waited an hour for chicken breasts lol. We lost about 7 classmates due to how little support there was and no one in the faculty ever bothered to reach out to us. Anytime we or student government tried to voice opinions, all we were told is that "we were lucky to be here" and blame was somehow turned on us. I don't think the didactic year student would have posted on a public forum if their concerns had been taken seriously by faculty first. I imagine they'll explain it off as COVID-related reasons if anyone asks. The only good part about the program is that all the classmates are really highly motivated and willing to help eachother out through this dumpster fire of a program. Would really reconsider coming here if you were accepted. In clinicals while there are other students with their fair share of grievances with their programs, I see how many students have had experiences with supportive faculty, simulations, and lots of patient encounter and procedural practice. I'm posting as a frustrated grad of the program because I hate that they will continue to get away with this 

Just for the record, I do not work for the program and do not want to be misrepresented here.  

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds...odd?  As if they don't want us speaking unsupervised or something?  I've applied to a lot of schools and this is the only place I've heard that they don't want us creating our own chat.  Could be taking it out of context, though.  Maybe you could clarify, if I'm missing something?  @prepaTracy

Edited by Chlulunow
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Chlulunow said:

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds...odd?  As if they don't want us speaking unsupervised or something?  I've applied to a lot of schools and this is the only place I've heard that they don't want us creating our own chat.  Could be taking it out of context, though.  Maybe you could clarify, if I'm missing something?  @prepaTracy

no i definitely felt the same way! seeing what has been said from the chat and then not being allowed to make our own groupchat has made me skeptical…but that is what was said at the interview. Audra said to hold off on creating a chat, im guessing because they want to make one with a finalized list of students that will be attending next year. i really can’t say for sure

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Chlulunow said:

Why not call the program and ask instead of thinking that this is a conspiracy?

• Downvote 5

On 11/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, prepaTracy said:

no i definitely felt the same way! seeing what has been said from the chat and then not being allowed to make our own groupchat has made me skeptical…but that is what was said at the interview. Audra said to hold off on creating a chat, im guessing because they want to make one with a finalized list of students that will be attending next year. i really can’t say for sure

When I talked to Audra about the Facebook page, she encouraged us to exchange email and phone numbers to get to know one another for now. I think they just want the finalized class for the Facebook group, I really dont believe there are any negative intentions behind anything! 🙂 I am excited and looking forward to meeting the full class this coming spring. I wish the best of luck to the students interviewing in November. You got this! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...