2021-2022 Stony Brook Application Thread

This whole process to me is very frustrating. It’s a  “wait and see” approach where they offer seats and then offer declined seats without forming an official waitlist. With no seat deposit it also encourages people with multiple offers to accept and hold a seat til they finally decide on a program. Then discouraging phone calls and emails from interviewees to receive decision updates doesn’t help. Those who were rejected out right after interviews are in a better position than those “on hold” to God knows whenever this program decides to send another ambiguous update. 

For those still waiting, I advise you to put plan B into full gear. If it’s prepping for the 2022-2023 cycle, taking classes, upping HCE, shadow, and/or volunteer hours, or planning that summer trip you thought you’d miss because you’d be starting at Stonybrook June 2022….do it. 

Transparency matters to me. Current and previous students have highlighted this program lacks that and I’m inclined now more than ever to believe them. Not getting in maybe a blessing in disguise. If you feel in the dark now as a prospective student just imagine being in the program.

Feeling supported shouldn’t start once you have a students tuition money. Looking back at previous cycles it’s a reoccurring theme which means it’s the culture of the program. 

Edited by FeelTheMusicPA
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FeelTheMusicPA said:

This whole process to me is very frustrating. It’s a  “wait and see” approach where they offer seats and then offer declined seats without forming an official waitlist. With no seat deposit it also encourages people with multiple offers to accept and hold a seat til they finally decide on a program. Then discouraging phone calls and emails from interviewees to receive decision updates doesn’t help. Those who were rejected out right after interviews are in a better position than those “on hold” to God knows whenever this program decides to send another ambiguous update. 

For those still waiting, I advise you to put plan B into full gear. If it’s prepping for the 2022-2023 cycle, taking classes, upping HCE, shadow, and/or volunteer hours, or planning that summer trip you thought you’d miss because you’d be starting at Stonybrook June 2022….do it. 

Transparency matters to me. Current and previous students have highlighted this program lacks that and I’m inclined now more than ever to believe them. Not getting in maybe a blessing in disguise. If you feel in the dark now as a prospective student just imagine being in the program.

Feeling supported shouldn’t start once you have a students tuition money. Looking back at previous cycles it’s a reoccurring theme which means it’s the culture of the program. 

I agree, they’re system needs improvement. They should ask for a seat deposit it will speed up the process for some candidates. 
Btw If you dare to ask for an update on your application, you receive a rude reply. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, FeelTheMusicPA said:

Not sure why you make so many assumptions here.  I brought your post to the attention of our program administrator who does admissions and also does email correspondence.  Interestingly, they do have an alternate list, however these decisions get sent through a different office which they cannot control when they are sent.  So their hands are tied, despite you assuming they just don't communicate.  Not very fair to my school.

• Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, jenprepa2022 said:

Not sure why you make so many assumptions here.  I brought your post to the attention of our program administrator who does admissions and also does email correspondence.  Interestingly, they do have an alternate list, however these decisions get sent through a different office which they cannot control when they are sent.  So their hands are tied, despite you assuming they just don't communicate.  Not very fair to my school.

There’s nothing to assume. Multiple persons stated and reported on this platform the program’s unwelcoming nature to inquiries on application status and decisions along with their ambiguous generic sometimes rude responses. What’s unfair is acting like the program doesn’t know who THEY accepted, rejected, and waitlisted and trying to place the blame on an “unnamed office.” 

And you really know a lot not to work for the program and to have such great access to be able to forward post here to the program.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, FeelTheMusicPA said:

There’s nothing to assume. Multiple persons stated and reported on this platform the program’s unwelcoming nature to inquiries on application status and decisions along with their ambiguous generic sometimes rude responses. What’s unfair is acting like the program doesn’t know who THEY accepted, rejected, and waitlisted and trying to place the blame on an “unnamed office.” 

And you really know a lot not to work for the program and to have such great access to be able to forward post here to the program.

Yes because I am a student in the program, and do have great access to forward this post.  The reason for this is because there is direct communication.  No one is "acting" like the program doesn't know who they accepted, rejected and waitlisted.  I was trying to just make a point that unless you are here, you shouldn't make assumptions.  Why are you so angry?

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jenprepa2022 said:

Yes because I am a student in the program, and do have great access to forward this post.  The reason for this is because there is direct communication.  No one is "acting" like the program doesn't know who they accepted, rejected and waitlisted.  I was trying to just make a point that unless you are here, you shouldn't make assumptions.  Why are you so angry?

Angry ? Why are you so invested in this forum and labeling prospective students who voice concerns and opinions you do not agree with in an negative light? Don’t you have studying to do or something? I doubt you’re a student but pretend away. 

3 hours ago, prospectivepa21 said:

Yes I interviewed with the program 11/16 and its been radio silence since. Starting to get frustrated as well as I have little time before I need to put deposits down elsewhere.

Interviewees before the November interview received the email stating all finals decisions would be made by December 1. Almost two weeks later and nothing. On hold literally means hold your breathe til we finalize the class by sending out acceptances to people we really want and rejections to people we definitely don’t want then sending out more acceptances for declined seats. Then here’s the kicker eventually you might finally get rejected or make it on the waitlist. It’s a bad process to be such a good program. 

6 hours ago, FeelTheMusicPA said:

Angry ? Why are you so invested in this forum and labeling prospective students who voice concerns and opinions you do not agree with in an negative light? Don’t you have studying to do or something? I doubt you’re a student but pretend away. 

Let's all calm down a little. I think @jenprepa2022 just tried to help here. You said, "Multiple persons stated and reported on this platform the program's unwelcoming nature to inquiries on application status and decisions along with their ambiguous generic sometimes rude responses." but did YOU contact the program yourself? Maybe now it's an excellent time to reach the program and ask if you are waitlisted since all the interviews are done. And instead of being angry at the forum, maybe you want to put down your deposit to other programs to save your seat as you have already hated the Stony Brook PA program.

8 hours ago, 123prepac said:

Let's all calm down a little. I think @jenprepa2022 just tried to help here. You said, "Multiple persons stated and reported on this platform the program's unwelcoming nature to inquiries on application status and decisions along with their ambiguous generic sometimes rude responses." but did YOU contact the program yourself? Maybe now it's an excellent time to reach the program and ask if you are waitlisted since all the interviews are done. And instead of being angry at the forum, maybe you want to put down your deposit to other programs to save your seat as you have already hated the Stony Brook PA program.

And who are you to tell anyone what to do, to calm down like we only have a right to flowery expressions, give advice, or inquire about any communications persons made to the program? Let me help you out: this is a forum. ALL feedback, concerns, and opinions are welcomed here. You just created an account 7 hours ago just to post a response. So let me clue you in how this works. Nobody asked you to come on here to create an account to defend the program or the person posing under that other account. Use that energy to actually hear what prospective students, current students, and graduated students are saying AND make the necessary changes to improve. It’s simple. Now go enjoy your day! I know I will. 

Edited by FeelTheMusicPA
  • Upvote 1

Hi, can someone please tell me if I've been horribly stupid. I probably should have reached out to them sooner, but will tomorrow. I haven't heard anything at all? I sent my supplemental application on July 18 and haven't heard anything from them since. No confirmation of them receiving my supplemental, no interview invite, no rejection email... am I missing something? Is this common??

11 hours ago, AlliBess said:

Hi, can someone please tell me if I've been horribly stupid. I probably should have reached out to them sooner, but will tomorrow. I haven't heard anything at all? I sent my supplemental application on July 18 and haven't heard anything from them since. No confirmation of them receiving my supplemental, no interview invite, no rejection email... am I missing something? Is this common??

The final round of interviews was on Nov 16. They have not responded to most people, and have said it would be mid-December to get a response but it seems like that is unlikely and it's looking more like late-December now. I myself am still waiting to hear post-interview.