2021-2022 Stony Brook Application Thread

I am currently a PA student in stony brook and I regret accepting their offer so much. This program is so dehumanizing. Save your mental health and avoid here. They try to spy any group you make with your classmates. You are not allowed to ask for anything. They are not able to provide basic needs of students. Professors come to class unprepared. Their slides are not uploaded completely and they don't care about you learning. They just want to finish their slides and leave. Professors start making phone calls when they are proctoring for exams. There is always technical difficulties when classes are streaming from a different campus (which happen everyday because they divide the lectures between both campuses). They tell you to have strong computer but they don't provide strong internet connection. Overall they cannot provide basic needs and it gets so annoying to deal with every single day. Also, there is a sick culture in the program that is transferred from previous year students to new ones each year. The sick culture say "do not argue with professors even if they are wrong, it will be used against you". By saying that classmates are so scared to ask for their basic needs like professional exam environment or complete upload of slides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was reached by some of the Pre-PA students to explain more about the current situation in the PA program in SBU. It's very painful for me to give bad comments about my school, especially after joining this program with my memory of a sense of pride in the SBU. After participating in this year's interview process and not being able to talk about what is happening here in the last couple of years, it gave me a sense of guilt. I hope the faculties focus on and spend more time on their academic duties similar to what they do in their medical practices and respect students. I wish success to all of you as Pre-PAs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pb9827 said:

I interviewed 8/19 and haven't heard anything back. any chance i would still get accepted or am i pretty much guaranteed a waitlist or rejection situation?

The way they broke it down to us during the interview: they only accept a handful of students after the interview.

I noticed after the handful of students accept from that particular interview date, if by chance any give up their seat or decline, then they accept another student from that interview date for that seat. This usually happens right before the next interview date.

If you haven’t heard anything, do not panic. Final decisions will go out after all interviews conclude. No news is good news right now. It’s still early. Keep hope alive and live your life in the meantime! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaryPAs said:

I’ve been waitlisted, I interviewed 8/19 as well. I don’t know if they will have more interviews or if at this point I should just give up. 

I believe that at my orientation session last week, they said they are hosting one more interview session in November, and that all applicants who haven’t heard back by then can expect an “official” communication in December

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MaryPAs said:

I’ve been waitlisted, I interviewed 8/19 as well. I don’t know if they will have more interviews or if at this point I should just give up. 

No need to give up or make assumptions. Those who haven’t heard anything are on “hold.” An acceptance can come any day now. Stay positive! The right door will open at the right time. You got to believe! Remember you did your part: you prepared, submitted an application, and secured an interview. Now it’s up to the school to decide if you are a good fit for their program. Remember No is also a blessing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi, did anyone get acceptance call from the 10/14 interview date yet? Super nervous and hoping and praying I did enough to get a call but I haven’t heard anything yet.

I know they said it would be around 10 days after the interview but just wondering how long it took others to get that acceptance call? 

1 hour ago, Ikjf2021 said:

Hi, did anyone get acceptance call from the 10/14 interview date yet? Super nervous and hoping and praying I did enough to get a call but I haven’t heard anything yet.

I know they said it would be around 10 days after the interview but just wondering how long it took others to get that acceptance call? 

Hi, I’m in the same boat as you, I haven’t heard anything yet either! Fingers crossed for the both of us, hang in there 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, prepaprep said:

Hi, I’m in the same boat as you, I haven’t heard anything yet either! Fingers crossed for the both of us, hang in there 🙂

Same, also from 10/14, not heard from them yet. According to the post last year, I think the 10 days means 10 business days. By that time, If no phone call or email received, then that means alternative (wait) list. Good luck everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oceanmedicinetravelpa said:

Should we not address this comment? Is this something to take seriously or is this a disgruntled student?

People reached out to the student privately. Feel free to do the same. Also, think it best not to address it publicly because we do not want to discount anyone’s experience nor flood this forum with negativity towards anyone, a current or prospective student. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, oceanmedicinetravelpa said:

Should we not address this comment? Is this something to take seriously or is this a disgruntled student?

This totally sounds like a disgruntled student, I know the caliber of student they enroll, this isn't even a well written post.  The fact that they felt it appropriate to post on an incoming student forum screams of lack of judgement on their part.

• Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, jenprepa2022 said:

This totally sounds like a disgruntled student, I know the caliber of student they enroll, this isn't even a well written post.  The fact that they felt it appropriate to post on an incoming student forum screams of lack of judgement on their part.

I can't say I agree -- they were very specific about their grievances.  And as someone choosing among schools, I want to get all perspectives, not just the unicorns and butterflies the schools show us.  I can decide for myself how to interpret what the student said, or reach out to them for more detail.

However, I'm sure it's hard to hear for people who just got into the program and are excited by it, or for whom it's their only choice.  

Edited by Chlulunow
  • Upvote 2