Good Day To Be A PA

I live in a small town in a small county in eastern Iowa. When the Covid vaccines were getting ready to be released to the County Public Health department being on the local Fire Department I had a letter forwarded to me in regards to out First Responders being the first to receive the vaccine. Down at the bottom of the letter was a blurb noting that demand was going to outstrip the vaccination sites. It also suggested that a qualified medical person could apply to set up a satellite vaccination clinic. I'm a Physician Assistant and I applied and was approved. I was able to get all of our EMT/First responders first dose vaccinated two days after the county received the Moderna vaccine.30 days later all were given their second dose.

Fast forward to last week. The County Public Heath Nurse called me last week. She explained that the County I live only had one vaccination site. Walmart. The local medical clinics were not giving the vaccine. She said that if they didn't use 80% of their allotment  they would lose doses for the next week. She asked me if I would be interested in sponsoring another  clinic through the Fire Department. Hell yes I would. She called me Thursday and said she would make 30 doses available but they had too be given to 75 years old and up. She said if I could pull this off she would consider making doses available for this coming week. My wife and I opened the phone book and started calling the people that met the criteria. It was really satisfying to here the joy and relief in their voices that they were going to get a vaccine. We filled up our list in a hour. Most of these people had no access to a computer or the knowledge to go online and make appointment at the CVS or Walmarts. The people that did were driving 50 - 75 miles to the larger cities to get their vaccine. One couple I talked to who were in their 90's paid for a local private ambulance to take them for their shot. 

So Saturday morning we scheduled from 900-1100. Guess what? they started showing up at 830. We were set up for them and away we went. We were done by 1000. We had one extra dose. I asked the last lady if she knew of someone who needed one. She gave me her number. I called her and asked her if she was interested. Why yes but she was afraid to drive in the ice and snow. No problem, I will come to you. I went to her apartment and gave her the shot. I said I have to stay with you for 10 minutes to monitor for a adverse reaction. As I sat there I learned that she was 91 years old. She was a retired school teacher and lived alone. Her kids were no where around. I did notice some Valentines on a table and commented about them. She said they were from her grandkids except for the one on the end. That one was from her late husband who sent it to her during from Korea during the Korean War. Wow! I almost lost it. I then told her that I would see her in a month. I got up and went to the door and she followed me. She thanked me and gave me a hug. I was on the verge of loosing it by then. Then she said what kind of cookies do Fire Fighters like because she would like to make us some. By then I was a babbling idiot and replied good ones. She said good and I left.

I called the County Health Nurse and told her. She said she had her doubts that I could pull it off. I said I would be more then happy to do it again. She said lets start with 50 for Thursday with a strong possibility of another 50 for Friday. I said great! She then said could you do another 50 on Saturday. I said let me see how Thursday goes and I will call you but right now I'm leaning toward yes. She said you got your 50 for Friday. Call me Thursday!!!

Our average age of vaccination was 79.9. It was a ggod day. Overall it was a great day to be in medicine. Truly one of the most satisfying days of my 35 years of being a Physician Assistant. Can't wait to do it again!!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Was given another 50 doses Thursday and we were able to vaccinate 59 people yesterday. All over 70. Our oldest was 97 followed by a 95 year old!!!  We told our Cedar County Public Health Department we wanted to do a 100 dose clinic this next Thursday. They said they will see what they can do to accommodate!

Not bragging but...

https://www.facebook.com/WestBranchTimes/photos/a.949239288846774/1144916299279071/?type=3&theater

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1