Multiple state licenses - any downside?

Hi guys!

I'm an urgent care PA-C licensed in Michigan. I plan to relocate to Tennessee in the coming months. I decided to apply for my TN license to increase my chances at getting interviews. Are there any repercussions to having two state licenses? Just wanted to cover my bases before I submit my application. 

Thank you in advance!

6 minutes ago, AnnaK said:

Hi guys!

I'm an urgent care PA-C licensed in Michigan. I plan to relocate to Tennessee in the coming months. I decided to apply for my TN license to increase my chances at getting interviews. Are there any repercussions to having two state licenses? Just wanted to cover my bases before I submit my application. 

Thank you in advance!

Not at all. Just extra dues and more paperwork for new licenses. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

The really costly item is multiple DEA's

indeed. One per state. I have 2. Different hospitals also have different cme requirements. Between my 4 jobs I have to keep acls, atls, pals, difficult airway, and neonatal resuscitation current, all on my own dime as I work 1099. 

13 minutes ago, deltawave said:

I have two. Been fine thus far. You don’t need multiple DEAs unless you are working actively in the states you are licensed. Just one where you are actively working/prescribing. You pay for one and can go online and transfer it to a different state for a fraction of the cost. 

I go back and forth between 4 sites in 2 states, so I am hosed. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

The really costly item is multiple DEA's

Exactly.  I live right at the corner of my state, within a mile of a state line with one state and a few miles from a state line with another state.  The only practical option short of moving was to get 3 state licenses.  The initial process of getting 3 licenses was more work, such as having to do fingerprints at two locations that were only four miles apart and along the same busy road, but were in different states.  Since getting the licenses, the license renewals aren't bad.  What is crazy is the $731 x 3 for the DEA's.  I am glad that my employer is willing to pay these fees, since they like for me to have the flexibility of working in all 3 states, which is what I am currently doing.  I have thought about getting a license in a fourth state that is only a 25 minute drive away, but 3 licenses and DEA's seemed like enough to manage.