We lost, NP's won...time to find a way to merge.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, EMEDPA said:

a bridge to NP makes no sense unless it is cheap and less than a yr in length. If you are going to spend 2-3 years and big bucks you might as well do the Lecom 3 yr PA to DO program. 

There is more to it than that though. To me, cost is the least of my worries. I brought up free medical school in Pasadena, a place my wife would love, and I thought her head might literally explode. A not short tirade of expletives and need to put family first proceeded. She’s not wrong. They’ve sacrificed a lot to make it this far. 3 moves, deployments, residency. Medical school would require likely 3 more moves and not a inconsequential amount of my attention during my daughter’s formative years. Sure, an FM or EM residency can be more chill hour wise, but relatively speaking to other intense residencies. It still takes a large numbering absolute hours, and honestly I’ve never done anything just to get by. It spoils most certainly lead to me overworking trying to get an OB fellowship just so I work ridiculous hours in a rural town doing everything. My ideals are not my family’s ideals haha!

2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

There is more to it than that though. To me, cost is the least of my worries. I brought up free medical school in Pasadena, a place my wife would love, and I thought her head might literally explode. A not short tirade of expletives and need to put family first proceeded. She’s not wrong. They’ve sacrificed a lot to make it this far. 3 moves, deployments, residency. Medical school would require likely 3 more moves and not a inconsequential amount of my attention during my daughter’s formative years. Sure, an FM or EM residency can be more chill hour wise, but relatively speaking to other intense residencies. It still takes an large numbering absolute hours, and honestly I’ve never done anything just to get by. It spoils most certainly lead to me overworking trying to get an OB fellowship just so I work ridiculous hours in a rural town doing everything. My ideals are not my families ideals haha!

So you don't feel alone, I had this exact same conversation with my wife many years ago.  We had spent 4 years in the USAF (I was enlisted right out of High School), then two years getting pre-reqs, then a little under 3 years in PA school getting my ass kicked time wise.  We had been married 6 years and put off kids.  After graduating PA school we finally had our first kiddo and I worked sometimes 80 hours per week trying to get my damn school loans paid off.  After 3 years of that I thought man...I should have went to medical school and told that to my wife....

Remember that scene in Tombstone where Kurt Russell yells out, "YOU CALLED DOWN THE THUNDER, NOW YOU'VE GOT IT!!!!!"

That was my wife, lol.  Needless to say, I am still a PA.

Do I regret not going back to medical school?  No, not now.  It would have simply been a family killer and the ways docs are treated now, like just another hired staff member, I would have hated myself.  What I do regret is not going the RN/NP route.  I would have owned a chain of clinics by now 28 years later all while PA's were still fighting over "Assistant" and "Associate".  Sigh.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, EMEDPA said:

a bridge to NP makes no sense unless it is cheap and less than a yr in length. If you are going to spend 2-3 years and big bucks you might as well do the Lecom 3 yr PA to DO program. 

Not really. You still have to do residency. The real comparison is 2 years total for NP (Boston college has a 2 year RN/NP program) to 6-7 years total for DO (3 years medical school at LECOM and then 3-4 years residency). It's a pretty big difference in terms of time and cost.

Edited by Lexapro