"Rnky Dink" PA programs

Hello,

I'm in Pennsylvania, applying to some of the smaller schools (mostly because I won't have O-chem done this app cycle). I spoke w/ a PA-C and she negatively mentioned all the "rinky dink PA programs popping up in this area".

So, now I am freaking out. All of the smaller schools are the ones I am applying to (King's college, Salus, Lockhaven, Chatham, Marywood etc). I chalked it up to personal opinion, but is there some truth to this ? My thought is that all PAs have to pass the PANCE so, what difference does it make if you go to "rinky dink" PA program X or Drexel U. I think most of us applying to this type of program are students who are there to give there all....but it kind of worries me.

Am I doing myself a disservice? Are the smaller schools "as good" as the "top universities" ?

Any thoughts are appreciated greatly!!!

I thought all PA students go to their respective program to "give it their all."

Yes, it's the "C" that counts in the end, but you've got to graduate from an accredited program in order to sit for the PaNCE and earn the "C". I won't mention specific programs, but be sure to do your homework. I'd hate to see you end up at a program with no program director, or one where half the graduating class didn't pass the PANCE. Just sayin.

Chia-

That being said.... MOST schools tout a "95 (ish)%" PANCE rate. I have yet to speak with any that have been below....probably 95%. I would like to believe that they are being truthful me. I certainly don't want to put the time & $ into my education, only to feel unprepared for the test. Are they programs that mislead their PANCE pass rates ?

Thanks much!!!

A big thing to consider is the access to GOOD clinical sites. Not decent sites, but ones where you have the opportunity to learn. I learned from current students at many small programs that they did not have opportunities to have rotations in specialties they wanted to go into. They had to set it up on their own.

I thought all PA students go to their respective program to "give it their all."

Yes, it's the "C" that counts in the end, but you've got to graduate from an accredited program in order to sit for the PaNCE and earn the "C". I won't mention specific programs, but be sure to do your homework. I'd hate to see you end up at a program with no program director, or one where half the graduating class didn't pass the PANCE. Just sayin.

I "C" the secret code. Was waitlisted there but have been accepted somewhere more stable, thankfully.

Very trure, I don't think I've ever seen a pass rate lower than 95%. Why would a school boast about subpar pass rates??

I agree, for the most part PA school is what you make of it, and passing the PANCE is totally up to the student. However, if the curriculum is severely lacking and you shadow at your clinical sites instead of treating patients, you will have a much harder time passing the test. The best mechanic in the world couldn't repair a car without the proper tools.

Chia-

That being said.... MOST schools tout a "95 (ish)%" PANCE rate. I have yet to speak with any that have been below....probably 95%. I would like to believe that they are being truthful me. I certainly don't want to put the time & $ into my education, only to feel unprepared for the test. Are they programs that mislead their PANCE pass rates ?

Thanks much!!!

someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe drexel has the best clinical sites of any of the PA programs in that area. many of them have been in place for decades. some of them only accept drexel students. they have far more rotation sites than students so students are able to arrange a "specialty focus" if they so desire within required rotations. for example I did trauma msurgery for surgery, peds em for peds, etc.

my understanding is that PCOM also has many good sites.

Just because a school is smaller, it doesn't mean that their program isn't excellent. Of the schools you listed, I wouldn't think of any of them a "Rinky Dink". As others have said, WHERE you attend PA school doesn't matter as much as the education you recieve and it's ability to prepare you to pass the PANCE, get your "C", and go out and earn a living.

Hello,

I'm in Pennsylvania, applying to some of the smaller schools (mostly because I won't have O-chem done this app cycle). I spoke w/ a PA-C and she negatively mentioned all the "rinky dink PA programs popping up in this area".

So, now I am freaking out. All of the smaller schools are the ones I am applying to (King's college, Salus, Lockhaven, Chatham, Marywood etc). I chalked it up to personal opinion, but is there some truth to this ? My thought is that all PAs have to pass the PANCE so, what difference does it make if you go to "rinky dink" PA program X or Drexel U. I think most of us applying to this type of program are students who are there to give there all....but it kind of worries me.

Am I doing myself a disservice? Are the smaller schools "as good" as the "top universities" ?

Any thoughts are appreciated greatly!!!

One of our faculty went to Kings College in Pennsylvania. She got three or so years of experience working in Psych and then was hired as part time faculty and worked as an ER PA. If the school is "Rinky Dink" then my school did not seem to care when they hired her. She is an awesome PA and a great teacher. I think it boils down to the individual person. My program might be "Rinky Dink" in her attitude as well, but they have been rinking their dink for over 40 years now!

someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe drexel has the best clinical sites of any of the PA programs in that area. many of them have been in place for decades. some of them only accept drexel students. they have far more rotation sites than students so students are able to arrange a "specialty focus" if they so desire within required rotations. for example I did trauma msurgery for surgery, peds em for peds, etc.

my understanding is that PCOM also has many good sites.

Drexel definitely still has some of the best, along with PCOM and others in Philly I'm sure.

To echo a point from above, it has mostly to do with clinical sites- your didactic can be tip-top shape, but if your clinical rotations aren't worthwhile, it can make for a less than educational experience, and you won't get exposed to what you need to (or want to, depending on your area of wanting to practice). The entire problem with so many PA programs popping up in one area...and Philly is definitely one of those areas....is that more than likely the number of clinical sites doesn't increase.

Increasing number of PA programs + same number of clinical rotation sites = some students may get the shaft in the end.

True indeed, True Anomaly. And that is exactly what is happening in Pennsylvania.

It's not like the state doesn't have enough programs to begin with. With more on the horizon, it just makes for a bad situation for all the schools in the area. Some sites in particular specialties - Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics, for instance - are hard to come by.

What this does is force clinical coordinators to venture outside of the are to secure contracts with hospitals and offices in the region. Now the student has to pay for separate housing, travel expenses, food, etc, in addition to tuition and other school-related expenses. There isn't enough AHEC reimbursement for everyone.

when I was a student the program arranged off site housing for us which generally also included meals. most of these accomodfations were on call rooms at hospitals with a meal pass for the cafeteria. apparently they no longer do this. I did 3 away rotations and was provided with housing/food for all of them.

Archived