Backpack/Book carrier

As an older student I don't have the same back as I did in my 20's. I am wondering what kind of book carriers/backpacks other PA students use out there. I am a bit old school - I like having the actual book as opposed to electronic versions so I'll be lugging around several heavy text. Thanks!

I ended up getting one of those Swiss backpacks. It has lots of padding on the back and straps, which I have learned is necessary if you want to carry around real books and have the thing last comfortably for any length of time. It also has a slot for a laptop if you carry one, but you could just slide another book in there if you wanted. It got me through didactic without any back/shoulder/neck issues. I carried my laptop & power cords, several medium-sized books, a notebook, water bottle, coffee mug, and everything that would go in a purse in it all year. I commuted to school and needed something that could bring my life with me so I could study when the mood struck while I waited to get places. It is also compact enough when you remove items that I don't feel like a crazy person when I grab it for a quick trip someplace not school-related.

You'll quickly learn how much you actually need those book in class. I suspect you'll end up leaving most at home for study most of the time, but it's still good to have a backpack that can handle it when you want to take everything to the library or coffee shop.

^^ Naaaaah^^

This is the BEST back pack EVER:

military-backpack-molle-pack.jpg

Kidding..:wink:

Back in the day...

To save my back, I bought one of those metal book racks and screwed it into the trunk of my car (making sure to use short screws and to avoid puncturing the gas tank). I put a strap around it to keep the books in place when driving.

41wjqALJd2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then when we had breaks between classes, I would go out to my car, pop the trunk and change books... so I rarely had more than 1 book in my bag at a time.

Still expensive, but if you are looking for something less fancy/more rugged and extremely durable, I highly recommend Duluth Pack (http://duluthpack.com/) handmade in Minnesota and guaranteed to last a lifetime, my canvas scout pack with a laptop pouch has taken a serious beating since middle school (I'm 23) and is basically with me wherever I go that requires more than a purse/pockets. Work, beach, hiking, class, library, weekend visitor bag. I really like North Face and other tech gear but love knowing that my bag is made by a company with some serious history.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started PA school 3 weeks ago and spent a solid week looking for the best bag for my needs. My program is in Manhattan and I have a 1.5 hour commute trains subways and some walking. I ended up getting the Samsonite Xenon 2, its the best bag I have ever owned. Its really comfortable has pads for support for your shoulder blades and your back. It has a seperate compartment for a lap top that is well padded and ventilated. And the main compartment is very room it holds my Guyton text book which is pretty thick as well as a few more. If you buy it get it from amazon its much cheaper. The stores charge you over 100 but amazon has it for about 60-70. Let me know what you think, I love mine!

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.rei.com/product/827116/rei-lookout-40-pack-mens

thats a good pack. im not a fan of carrying a bunch of stuff, though. you walk around with a boatload of books, even with a good pack, you still have to lug the thing on and off, and then stick it in your car, and fish through it to find stuff. one day, i grabbed my wifes iphone (which is synced to her ipad). took picured of a whole chapter, and it transferred everything to the ipad. then took off with the ipad and read that while she did some family stuff. didnt have to lug the book around. and i think half my nursing textbooks had electronic versions, so thats even better. powerpoints are a cinch. i love backpacks, but i hate lugging more stuff than absolutely necessary.

I'm with you. I have electronic versions of just about everything. Most in a kindle app. All I carry is my laptop or iPad, synced with iPhone for clinicals and I really want to be lightweight, and pocket sized notepad.

Jansport has 2 kinds of rolling ones & they have some nice designs. You can find them on the website. They have a big one (like a perfect size in my opinion) & an extra big one if you really need to carry alot(this would fit your lunch and everything too). I will be attending university in the summer and commuting and I will not have time to back to my car in between classes so I will have a few classes worth of books and that is what I'm gonna get. They are a little on the expensive side though but worth it in my opinion

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...