Ask a PA Admissions Director

@tdukich Thanks for your questions. I do think it is a pretty important that your science GPA be at or in most cases exceeding requirements for programs. I would focus on your prerequisites to make sure those are strong before pursuing additional science courses. Some programs may view the following thought differently, but to take "willy-nilly" science classes that are not relevant to prerequisites or PA school seem to be a waste. For example, if you need to retake A&P I and II to improve your grade, you should prioritize those type of classes. In some instances, programs may provide feedback on what you need to do to be more competitive so it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them to see if you need to retake anything or not. Hope this helps.

HI PA Admissions Director, 

Thanks for helping out with all of our questions!

I have a low science GPA - 3.2 - and am wondering if it is a good idea to take two more biology courses to get me up to a 3.3 - is it THAT big of a difference? I would have to take genetics (I got a B the first time) and an upper level bio at a university. Problem is, I can't really afford to pay the tuition for these classes and work full time as a nursing assistant. Should I go for the A's in those courses and get the 3.3 - or focus on other parts of my application?

Thanks so much. 

@wolfpack14 Thank you for your question. "We're the red and white for state and we know we are the best..."  a wolfpack fan since birth!! To answer your question, I do feel that your performance in the sciences coupled with your GRE scores do enhance your application from an academic standpoint. Performance in the prerequisites would be an additional thing I would look at, but I'm assuming based on the science GPA it is fairly strong. HCE hours will also look stronger with the addition of CNA hours. You are seeking shadowing hours, which I would have recommended, so you're on the right track. The advice you were given to apply early would be applicable to most NC programs. Hope this helps!

Hello,

So I'm actually looking to apply to Methodist and other NC schools this coming cycle. However, I am nervous overall about my chances and want to know what I can do to maximize my chances. 

Academics:

Bachelor of Science in Nutrition from North Carolina State University (graduated fall of 2014)

CASPA overall gpa: 3.28

CASPA science gpa: 3.54

Dean's List Last Four Semesters: 2013 Spring, 2013 Fall, 2014 Spring, 2014 Fall 

-I did have a rough start to school, but I definitely feel that I finished strong after I switched my intended major from business to nutrition. My major GPA was 3.78.

GRE:

Verbal: 166 (96th percentile)

Quantitative: 161 (80th percentile)

Analytical Writing: 5.0 (93rd percentile)

Health Care Experience:

Certified Pharmacy Technician: 1,200 hours (this will continue to go up ~35 hours per week)

Internship under a Registered Dietician working with cardiac rehabilitation patients at local hospital: 60+ hours (this will continue to grow 5~10 hours per week)

I'm halfway through a CNA class at my local CC and will be trying to work full time ASAP upon completion (and continue pharmacy tech position)

Shadowing

None. I'm in the process of trying to find some shadowing opportunities. I was going to shoot for roughly ~50 hours of volunteer time.

My concerns are really with my GPA and my HCE. I'm worried about my GPA, but I'm hoping that the strong upswing and ~3.7 gpa for my last two years will make up for it (is this something PA schools look at?) I know my healthcare experience isn't the best, so that's why I'm taking the CNA class. I hope I will be able to add 1k CNA hours to my application this cycle, since I should have that by years' end. The shadowing has me somewhat concerned as well, but I'm going to really dig deep and reach out over the next few weeks to find some opportunities. I guess my overall question is whether I stand a fair chance of acceptance to PA school this cycle, and what can I do in the short term to maximize my chances? 

Thank you so much for creating this thread. My ideal school is Campbell, but the admissions counselor there didn't really give me any specific advice except to say he thinks I'm an excellent candidate and to apply early. 

@eagerclevelander I would assume that the program may look at the course date versus the date of application. For example, I've seen some programs say the course must be completed within 5 years of the date of application. I hope program gets back with you regarding the question as it is obviously very important you figure that out before applying. Hope this helps some.

HELP!!!

I am planning to apply to PA Programs in 2016 for program start date of Fall 2017.

I am bit of a non-traditional student in that I completed my BS in 2009, completed a Master's in Biomedical Sciences in 2012 and have been working as a Procurement Transplant Coordinator since 2012. I work directly under a physician in critical care/OR setting. 

Since most programs have an expiration date on course work I am finding myself having to retake a few courses prior to applying. My question is (I understand this might sound pretty weird), for classes I took in Fall 2007 will they be within the 10 year time frame for a PA program that start in Fall 2017???

This might be a remedial question but it makes a significant difference in the courses that I will retake vs. coursework that will meet the requirement. I did reach out to the local university for guidance but I understand that they get overwhelmed with questions and haven't had an opportunity to respond. 

If anyone has ANY insight on this matter I would greatly appreciate your feedback!!

@st786 Thanks for your question. I would want to take a look at how you performed in our prerequisites since you noted you struggled in the upper level courses. I would carefully re-evaluate your performance in these classes before moving forward with the application process. I think GRE scores are solid and would not recommend a retake, and HCE hours look good. If you want to email me your transcripts I can maybe provide better feedback regarding your performance (jmish@methodist.edu). 

Hello, I am a recent graduate and work as a medical assistant. By this May I will have roughly 2000 clinical hours, I have shadowed many doctors as well as volunteered at a hospital gaining over 200+ hours. My GPA is low, a 3.3. I had some troubles with my upper level biology classes. I just took the GRE today and got a 154Q and 147V. What are my chances. I know that is a horrible question to ask but I am just worried. Thank you

@PrePA2014 Thank you for your question. You certainly have an important decision to make and also a very quick one. I typically tell applicants if they get in a program to go for it. Acceptance is never a guarantee for the following year and declining an offer is a big risk because of that unknown factor.  I realize there will be a distance between both you and your husband, but there are plenty of students who have done it before you. We've had several of our students live the same distance apart and have made it work...and some of them even had children. Although every student and his/her situation is different, if you felt the school that you've been accepted to is a good fit for you, I would see it all the way through. 2.5 years may seems like a long time now, but it will go by quickly. I hope this helps some and best wishes with your decision.

Hi paadmissions,

As always, your advice and guidance is always appreciated. To give you some background I applied to a handful of schools during the 2014-2015 cycle and receieved 2 acceptances and 2 waitlist offers. When I began the application process last cycle, my husband and I sat down and agreed upon each school and its geographic location. He was flexible with relocating since his finished his Master's in December and was ready for a position that utilized his new degree. He began applying to positions in the vicinity of each of the schools I was scheduled for interviews.

After 6 months of applying with no luck, he received an interview for his dream job in a town where I received a last minute interview invite and was offered the position in less than a week- only a couple of days after my interview. To make a long story short, I received a spot on the school's waitlist. We decided it would be best for him to accept the position, and hopefully, I would get into the program. I also received an acceptance offer from a school that I also equally like about 4.5 hours aways. The initial plan was to attend the program that was 4.5 hours away, which is also about $50,000 more expensive so he was able to keep his dream job, but now I am having second thoughts about living apart and was hoping you could provide me with some incite.

I was hoping to ask your opinion about declining an acceptance this cycle to reapply next month for the 2015-2016 cycle. I know there is still a chance I could obtain a spot in the program from the waitlist, but I don't want to count on it. As a program director, what is your opinion on an applicant who was waitlisted on a cycle, continued to develop and grow (more HCE, additional science classes, volunteer hours, etc) since the last cycle, but declined an acceptance offcer at another program during a previous cycle.

Thank you for you time!

@stephanieP Thank you for your question. I would encourage a retake of A&P if you are able to fit it in because cc level A&P typically is not the highest level of that course that would be beneficial to your preparation for PA school. In regards to your math questions the precal and statistics would fulfill both of our math requirements. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to email me directly at jmish@methodist.edu. Thanks!

Good afternoon PA admissions,

I am an undergraduate with plans on applying to PA school. I do attend Methodist University, however I am a transfer student. I have a few concerns. Although I am a transfer student, most of the credits that transferred were the core general education credits. But, I did take Anatomy & Physiology at Sandhills Community College. Those a&p credits were transferred and counted as my science electives, but I was thinking and wanted to be sure, is it in my best interest to go ahead and retake those classes at MU? If I wasn't planning on attending graduate school I probably would not do so just because they've been counted, but since it is required for the PA program I'm thinking it is a wise decision to retake. Also, from researching the requirements for admissions I've noticed that "college algebra or higher" is on the list. I did not specifically take the basic college algebra, however, I took Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, and Statistics. Will those closes count for the math requirement? Thank you for your help! 

@MIn8 Thank you for your question. I certainly understand your concern and I do not want to speculate or make an assumption as to why the program was placed on probation. I think applicants who visited the program should take the word of the program director as she is familiar with the citations and improvements that need to be made. Additionally, she would know a lot more than me as to the reasoning behind the PANCE performance for this year's class. After looking at their 5 year, first time pass rate average on the PANCE, on average 3 students did not pass on the first attempt with most classes (not all). Keep in mind, with a small class size (11 students), 3 failures can bring the percentage down lower than if they had a class size of 60. 8 out 11 passing is 73% versus a program that had 57 out of 60 pass , which is a 95% average. Numbers are quite different when you consider it that way.

The accreditation process is certainly an enormous undertaking for all programs especially when they are up for review. I also want to be very careful about discouraging you to withdraw if you felt the faculty felt the program was turning around. Hopefully, current students were able to give some positive feedback about their experience as well. Because I'm not a part of their program and I NEVER want to discredit another program to the point of clouding your judgement, If you don't feel comfortable with attending the program and feel you may have options for another program for the upcoming cycle, you may want to weigh your decision carefully, I hope this helps and best wishes with your decision.

Hello?

My name is Meghan and I was recently accepted into University of Maryland Eastern Shore's PA Program. They are accredited, but have a site visit in July and reviewed by ARC in Sept, on probation. When I interviewed they said they have no doubt they will gain accredited continued, as they have a new clinical coordinator, new faculty, updates on their facilities, etcc. I am worried about their PANCE rates as last year 11 sat for PANCE out of a class of 35 and had a 76% pass rate. The director of the program explained that they just transitioned to a masters program in 2013 so the PANCE ratings cannot accurately reflect their program because a lot of students from before Aug 2013 had to go through a masters completion program. I really liked the program and the people, I just don't want to put money and time into a program and not pass my boards. Or I could decline admissions and reapply to try and get into a "better" school. Is that worth it? To the admissions director- do you think this program has what it takes to have my become certified? I know is not about the "name" of the school, I'm just trying to get past that mindset. Any advice or suggestions would be really comforting! Thank you!

@hunter94 Thank you for your questions. I would evaluate your performance in the prerequisites before moving on to a post-bacc program. If your sGPA is around or lower than a 3.0, you will need to make improvements somewhere in those courses. If, after speaking with the programs that interest you, a post-bacc program may be your best route then start searching programs that would meet your needs.But if they only recommend retaking a lot of your prerequisites to help your application that may be a shorter route (depending on how many courses you have to retake). Post-bacc programs are beneficial because they are able to "cram" difficult coursework into a short time frame, and doing well in those programs can show your potential to handle graduate coursework.

Your clinical experience plan is ok. I would stick with either the ER Tech or EMT. If you already have an EMT certification why not go ahead with securing a job in that field. That way you can jump right in and get hours and not have to stress over switching jobs. I think it's beneficial to an applicant to hold down a good job and make the most out of that experience. Hope this helps!

I'm trying to decide what to do with my year(s) off of school before hopefully beginning PA school. Right now I'm a 3rd year Biology major/chem minor with a 3.3 overall GPA.  I have ~150 hours of shadowing, very little patient care experience (~20hrs)  and a year of research. This summer i'll hopefully get a job as an ER tech, if not then a Pateint Care Attendant. I definitely need to get clinical hours and I'm planning on being an EMT (already certified). But should I retake a science class or two to get my GPA up? or should I enroll in a masters program? or get a postbac because my science gpa (~3.0) may not be high enough?

• Upvote 1

Hi, I am about to graduate with a degree in economics. I have been taking the prerequisites for PA school and have the basic ones done. The problem is my grades are not the best and I don't think I could make it into PA school at the moment. So if I decide to pursue PA school, I would need to take probably another year of college, completing courses like O-chemistry, Biochemistry, genetics, etc.. to boost my GPA. I am taking an EMT class this semester, so this would be my health experience once I get a job. On the other hand, the bit more safer but longer route, I am thinking about an accelerated nursing program, in which I would then purse a NP after. I would prefer to do the PA route because its shorter, I and more inclined to the medical-model of teaching, rather than the patient-centered model, and I think I would like to do some surgery. 

My GPA is about a 3.4. My science GPA is even less than that, I have trouble calculating it because I am not sure whether to include classes took for credit in high school ( Bio 1, Physics 1 both B's). Here are my recent classes.
Chem 2 W (Freshman year
Organismic C 
Microbiology B (Sophomore year)
Chem 1 B
Human body A (8 hour anatomy and physiology) (Senior year)
Chem 2 A

The only other pertinent classes I am in not are parasitology, cadaver practicum, and medical terminology, medical ethics                                                                            
So realistically, How many science classes do I have to ace to be a competitive applicant? I fear even if I get a 4.0 in the next 12 hours or so, I will still be like 3.3-3.4 science GPA. Will schools be able to look past my B's in Bio 1 and Phy 1 in highschool, or that C my freshman year in organismic? I would appreciate any feedback, thanks for your time! 

@paadmissions

After my interview I loved the atmosphere of the small class size (35 students) and the ambiance of the faculty and students. They told me because they switched over to a master's program and 2013, that is why so few people took the PANCE first time (I guess some had to complete a master's like part of a program since it was only a bachelors? not to familiar with that). The director of the program said those numbers do not accurately reflect how to master's program is and we won't have definitive numbers until this class takes the PANCE. They have seemed to really improve and they have no doubt they will gain continued accreditation. They also added PANCE seminar/class at the end of your 2nd year and other help strategies. They have a 5:1 student to cadaver ratio and have upgraded to brand new simulation dummies in their exam rooms. I believe as long as I go to an accrediting institution (which this is..) I can study and work hard to pass the boards. 

I submitted my deposit & other materials necessary (today was the deadline), although I have not heard back from 2 other schools (Seton Hall and USciences... the latter which said I qualified for an interview it was just a matter of when). Is it silly to even consider these institutions if I receive an invitation invite, after putting down a $600 deposit? I just need some reassurance that it is not all in the "name" of the school, thank you so much for your help!!! 

@EconGuy Thank you for your questions. To have a better idea of what courses you'll need to take, I would encourage you to narrow down your list of PA programs you want to apply to so you have a more "strategic plan" of what courses you need to take. If you received college credit for the courses you took in high school then those courses would count towards your overall performance and possibly prerequisites if those courses are required. Some programs may encourage a nursing program, but if you do that route and have plans to go to NP school then i would just go that route and not waste your time taking or retaking classes. I would estimate that your prerequisite GPA be within a range of 3.4-3.7 to be competitive for PA school. I would encourage you to take this cycle off from applying until you get the majority of your planned coursework taken care of so that your application can be as competitive as possible at least on your 1st attempt. It never hurts to reach out to programs to see if they can offer any additional feedback that may help you as you weigh your decision to pursue PA school. Hope this helps!

So realistically, How many science classes do I have to ace to be a competitive applicant? I fear even if I get a 4.0 in the next 12 hours or so, I will still be like 3.3-3.4 science GPA. Will schools be able to look past my B's in Bio 1 and Phy 1 in highschool, or that C my freshman year in organismic? I would appreciate any feedback, thanks for your time! Hi, I am about to graduate with a degree in economics. I have been taking the prerequisites for PA school and have the basic ones done. The problem is my grades are not the best and I don't think I could make it into PA school at the moment. So if I decide to pursue PA school, I would need to take probably another year of college, completing courses like O-chemistry, Biochemistry, genetics, etc.. to boost my GPA. I am taking an EMT class this semester, so this would be my health experience once I get a job. On the other hand, the bit more safer but longer route, I am thinking about an accelerated nursing program, in which I would then purse a NP after. I would prefer to do the PA route because its shorter, I and more inclined to the medical-model of teaching, rather than the patient-centered model, and I think I would like to do some surgery. 

My GPA is about a 3.4. My science GPA is even less than that, I have trouble calculating it because I am not sure whether to include classes took for credit in high school ( Bio 1, Physics 1 both B's). Here are my recent classes.
Chem 2 W (Freshman year
Organismic C 
Microbiology B (Sophomore year)
Chem 1 B
Human body A (8 hour anatomy and physiology) (Senior year)
Chem 2 A

The only other pertinent classes I am in not are parasitology, cadaver practicum, and medical terminology, medical ethics                                                                            

@Mln8 I know the program director at the program and from my knowledge of her from many years ago, she is very familiar with accreditation. I would think the improvements they've made, including the prep course towards the end of the program, should help improve the quality of the program and performance on the boards. However, the substance/content of the curriculum, rather than just teaching students to pass the PANCE should be a priority, which it sounds like it is. PANCE performance is just one element of many when considering the quality of a program. 

Although I wish applicants, once they have paid a deposit somewhere, would be committed and not pursue other programs, but I'm realistic and realize that's not how it works in a lot of cases. Some applicants continue to interview with other programs even though a deposit has been submitted to another program(s). If the other programs are still interviewing, which it tends to be late for interviewing for actual seats in the program if classes begin in the fall, you have the right to interview with them..it may help you see another program. Again, it will be a personal decision for you, but you seem confident in that the progress and accreditation information that was provided on your interview day was reassuring and hopeful. Trust your gut. Hope this helps.

@paadmissions

After my interview I loved the atmosphere of the small class size (35 students) and the ambiance of the faculty and students. They told me because they switched over to a master's program and 2013, that is why so few people took the PANCE first time (I guess some had to complete a master's like part of a program since it was only a bachelors? not to familiar with that). The director of the program said those numbers do not accurately reflect how to master's program is and we won't have definitive numbers until this class takes the PANCE. They have seemed to really improve and they have no doubt they will gain continued accreditation. They also added PANCE seminar/class at the end of your 2nd year and other help strategies. They have a 5:1 student to cadaver ratio and have upgraded to brand new simulation dummies in their exam rooms. I believe as long as I go to an accrediting institution (which this is..) I can study and work hard to pass the boards. 

I submitted my deposit & other materials necessary (today was the deadline), although I have not heard back from 2 other schools (Seton Hall and USciences... the latter which said I qualified for an interview it was just a matter of when). Is it silly to even consider these institutions if I receive an invitation invite, after putting down a $600 deposit? I just need some reassurance that it is not all in the "name" of the school, thank you so much for your help!!! 

@drhouse Thank you for your questions and I'm happy to hear the blog has been helpful! I think applicants get the wrong impression that committees want to see a perfect academic record...some programs may want that, but there are many committees that will take into consideration "the early years" and that life/health gets in the way of things. I do have to say your improvements at the university level are encouraging and will be strong point of your application for some programs. You have good GRE scores and lots of experience. I would encourage you to check to make sure your hours with the home health would count for the programs you're applying to just to double check. Get some shadowing hours with a PA under your belt so that you are demonstrating that you've exposed yourself as much as possible to the profession. Be sure to acknowledge in your personal statement the outside influences that had an affect on your below average performance at the cc. You don't people making an assumption. I hope this helps! 

@paadmissions Like everyone else, I want to thank you for providing us with your valuable insight and help! I have read all your posts and replies since the beginning post, and you have helped me tremendously in improving my application through the years! I would just like some advice on whether or not I should consider taking anymore classes or doing a post-bacc. So here are my stats:

Undergrad Degree: Bachelor of Science in Psychology

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Total Science Undergrad GPA: 3.55

BCP GPA: 3.45

Prerequisite GPA: 3.9
GRE: Verbal: 155, Quant: 151, Analytical: 4

Direct Patient Care: 3000+ Hours as a Personal Care Assistant for an autistic child  

Volunteer Work Related to Healthcare: 600+ Hours at a Hospice and Hospital

For my freshman and sophomore years, I went to a community college and I didn't do the greatest in courses even while taking part-time and only doing mostly liberal arts courses. I had 4 withdraws and 2 incompletes, and a few C’s and D’s due to health reasons. 

However, my health got better and for my junior and senior year  I transferred to a 4 year university, and I got A’s in nearly every course and no withdraws/incompletes while taking 15-16 credits and made it on the Dean’s list for 4 consecutive semesters. 

While I did graduate with my 4 year, it actually took me 6 years total to graduate since I kept taking semesters off and doing only 2-3 classes a semester during my freshman and sophomore years due to my health. My concern is that the withdraws, incompletes, semester breaks, and the couple of bad grades I have in the past will raise some red flags. 

I really feel I am not competitive with all the other people who never had any blemish in their academic record or who have really high GPA’s. Is there anything else I can do or take? I really am very serious and determined to do whatever it takes to better my application and show my commitment to the PA profession. Thank you in advance for your time!   

Here is a breakdown of the science and prerequisite courses I took at all at a University:

• Biology – B  (retake…first time got a D)
  • Human Anatomy – A   (retake...first time I got a C at CC) 
  • Human Physiology – A  (retake...first time I got a withdraw at CC)
  • Microbiology – A  (retake...first time I got a B at CC, but my program preferred I take it again at the University level) 

All other courses below are not retakes: 

• Chemistry I – A
  • Chemistry II – A
  • Organic Chemistry I – A
  • Organic Chemistry II – A
  • Biochemistry – A
  • Calculus I  – A
  • Statistics – A
  • Lifespan and Abnormal Psychology – Both A’s
  • Genetics – A 
  • Human Neuroanatomy – A
  • Fundamentals of Pharmacotherapy – A

Paadmissions,

I had a question regarding retaking a pre-req but have a complicated situation. At my university we have a semester class for only anatomy and a separate semester class for physiology. I did not do too well in anatomy so i wanted to retake it. The state college near me only offer anatomy and physiology 1 and anatomy and physiology 2. As an admissions officer looking at my application, if i only took A&P 1 would that suffice for my poor anatomy grade? Thank you for your help.

Hello @Paadmissions ,

This is my first time applying to PA school, I was waitlisted at 3 schools. Do you have any general advice on ways to strengthen your application and increase ones chances of getting accepted off the wait list? Also, as a PA Admissions Director is there a particular time when school's are most likely to send out offers to wait list candidates?

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

@leftkovic1 I don't see a problem with retaking A&P I to replace the anatomy grade. I would recommend that you check with the program's you're applying to to make sure this plan will suffice for a retake or to see how they would count it. Hope this helps.

Paadmissions,

I had a question regarding retaking a pre-req but have a complicated situation. At my university we have a semester class for only anatomy and a separate semester class for physiology. I did not do too well in anatomy so i wanted to retake it. The state college near me only offer anatomy and physiology 1 and anatomy and physiology 2. As an admissions officer looking at my application, if i only took A&P 1 would that suffice for my poor anatomy grade? Thank you for your help.

@physicianassistantstudent Since every program you've applied to is different, I would recommend that you contact the specific programs to see what they recommend you do to improve your chances for next year should you need to reapply. From our program's standpoint it is very difficult to predict when an open seat will become available and everyone has different timelines and operations for their wait lists so the question about the wait list is something I can't answer., unfortunately. Hope this helps some.

Hello @Paadmissions ,

This is my first time applying to PA school, I was waitlisted at 3 schools. Do you have any general advice on ways to strengthen your application and increase ones chances of getting accepted off the wait list? Also, as a PA Admissions Director is there a particular time when school's are most likely to send out offers to wait list candidates?

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Hello @paadmissions ! A couple of questions for you, 

I was wondering if the EMT classes I took at a community college count as a part of the CASPA gpa we have to input? Because it is listed under "other science" on the CASPA course subject list. The EMT class I took was a total of 10 credits and I received an A. 

Also, CHEM II is a prerequisite and according to my university I passed with a C-, however i know PA schools require above a C in all prereqs. So should I take the class at a Community college or try to appeal to my university in order to be able to take it again?

Lastly, does CASPA tend to lower your cumulative science GPA when they calculate it? 

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

@rpat11394 Thank you for your questions. I honestly cannot remember if they do include that in the overall GPA, but I think (please don't hold me to it) your EMT courses will count in the overall GPA if credit was received for them. You will need to retake the Chem II course since you received a C-. I always recommend sciences be taken at the university level. .And finally, your overall GPA may come in lower than expected especially if you have a lot of retakes. They do not recognize grade replacement so all attempts are calculated. Hope this helps...you can also view more about GPA calculations on the CASPA FAQ page

Hello @paadmissions ! A couple of questions for you, 

I was wondering if the EMT classes I took at a community college count as a part of the CASPA gpa we have to input? Because it is listed under "other science" on the CASPA course subject list. The EMT class I took was a total of 10 credits and I received an A. 

Also, CHEM II is a prerequisite and according to my university I passed with a C-, however i know PA schools require above a C in all prereqs. So should I take the class at a Community college or try to appeal to my university in order to be able to take it again?

Lastly, does CASPA tend to lower your cumulative science GPA when they calculate it? 

Thank you!

@felipehdz10 Thank you for your questions. Your GPA looks strong and hopefully GRE scores will support your performance in the classroom. Typically,  a GRE score of 300 or higher is good in my opinion. As far as your hours, they would be good for our program (with the exception of student hours) and would exceed our requirement. I would, however, encourage you to seek shadowing hours with a PA if possible. You've spent time with MDs, but it makes sense to spend quality time with PAs since your interest in is the profession. Be sure to check with the programs you're applying to to see if your hours fit what they are looking for and if you've met, preferably, exceeded hour requirements. Hope this helps!

Hello i am a medical lab sciences student about to graduate in may 2015 wanting to apply for PA cycle 2016-2018 in texas. I would like to ask you if what i have is worth applying for the next cycle

1 year clinical rotations experience throughout the lab =1200 HCE
6 months as a laboratory technician PRN = 700 and counting
8 months as a phlebotomist in 2009= 750 hours

Volunteer service
Over 1300 hours as a leader of a catholic church group and organizing retreats for young adults( i was the head coordinator) this is still accruing
40 hours as volunteer at a physical therapy rehab for children (includes contact wirh patients)
50 hours at cancer therapy research center

I havent taken my gre but is already scheduled

By june i will be a certified medical lab scientist

GPA overall 3.6
GPA science 3.58

Shadowing
40 hours M.D pediatrtian at eagle pass tx (underserved area)
80 hours M.D pediatritian in mexican border town (underserved area)

I would appreciate any of this forum members feedback on my chances of getting an interview at any school even outside texas

Forgot to mention spanish is my first language

Hi

I will be applying for my first time this application cycle (2015-2016).  I have only started my patient care hours last summer, but as a full time medical assistant for 3 months during the summer and a few odd weeks during breaks.  Overall, I have accumulated about 300 hours so far and will be working again during my gap year. 

My goal is to get my applications in by the first week of June, but I am not sure if that is the best idea considering I will not have accumulated anymore hours by then.  So my question is, is it okay to apply in that first week of June and just update schools when I obtain another 100 hours or so, or should I wait until maybe the end of August when I have another 3 months of hours under my belt?

Thanks!

@jackiemjones

• 2 weeks later...

@jackiemjones Thanks for your questions. When you submit your application is dependent on the programs you're applying to. We allow students to submit their application and then make updates to hours, etc. as they are completed. You may need to confirm if the hours need to be complete before you submit. Unfortunately, everyone is different, but I would go ahead with submitting if you were applying to our program. Hope this helps. 

Hi

I will be applying for my first time this application cycle (2015-2016).  I have only started my patient care hours last summer, but as a full time medical assistant for 3 months during the summer and a few odd weeks during breaks.  Overall, I have accumulated about 300 hours so far and will be working again during my gap year. 

My goal is to get my applications in by the first week of June, but I am not sure if that is the best idea considering I will not have accumulated anymore hours by then.  So my question is, is it okay to apply in that first week of June and just update schools when I obtain another 100 hours or so, or should I wait until maybe the end of August when I have another 3 months of hours under my belt?

Thanks!

@jackiemjones

My question is for paadmissions. I am a second year PA student who will graduate in the next few months. I am starting to apply for jobs and also the PANCE. In 2009 I was arrested for a DUI and went through all of the classes and paid all of the fines to avoid having a conviction on my record. That was/is the only time I have had a run in with the law. Since then I had numerous background checks for Jobs and also PA school. None of them have come back with questions or stating that I would not be allowed to work there/go to school there.

While registering to take the PANCE there were 3 background questions I had to fill out. The questions are:

1. During the period between November 17, 2002 and today's date, have you been denied a license, or has any state board or other governmental agency taken any disciplinary action (as described above) against your license to practice as a Physician Assistant or as any other health-care provider?

2. During the period between November 17, 2002 and today's date, have you been convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty, nolo contendere, or no contest to, a crime in any jurisdiction (including under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and/or any international jurisdiction) other than a minor traffic offense? Include all misdemeanors and felonies, even if the court withheld adjudication so that you would not have a record of conviction. Any convictions for driving under the influence or while impaired should be reported here. 

3. During the period between November 17, 2002 and today's date, have you been adjudicated as mentally incompetent by a court or other government entity?

My question lies with the 2nd question. I do not have a conviction for driving under the influence. Most importantly, before these questions, this was written:

"Have you been the subject of any of the following actions that you have not already reported to NCCPADo not include any actions that were resolved before your entry into your PA educational program or previously reported to NCCPA.)"

Does this mean I do not have to respond with yes? Since it was resolved a few years prior to being accepted to PA school? I am trying to figure this out before submitting my application because I want to be truthful but at the same time I would also like to avoid a investigation into my record if there does not need to be.