Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hello paadmissions, and thank you for taking our questions.

This is my third time applying to pa schools with low overall gpa(under 3.0). However, luckily i was able to get at least one interview each year but no acceptance to the program after the interview.

this cycle, i interviewed once and was not accepted. And I'm currently waiting from 2 more schools (denied from 5 schools without interview)

I know that i just need to wait patiently but as time goes by, I'm starting to get worried and wanting to call the school.

I actually called one of the school in November and the person I spoke to said i will get the interview invite for the January interview but i have not heard anything yet. Reading the forum, it seems that some were notified already on the 8th for the January interview. This pa program has interviews in oct. Nov. Jan. and feb (4 interviews total) Should i call the program again or just wait?

Thank you.

Dear AD

I wanted to get your opinion on what admissions directors think of 1 year masters degrees and their ability to bolster a poor undergraduate GPA.

I did my undergraduate degree in Psychology and finished most of my science pre-recs as my electives. However, I did poorly in many of my science electives (C's in anatomy, genetics, and ochem).  Anyway, I applied my first year with an CASPA Overall GPA of 3.399 and a science GPA of 2.92 which obviously made applying and getting any sort of interview just about impossible. I decided to go work as a CNA and was eventually promoted to a shift manager for a year before leaving to work at a large eye lasik surgery center as an ophthalmic assistant. I have approx. 3,000 hours of paid patient contact. I have limited experience shadowing a D.O., N.P., and pediatric P.A. I spent the majority of my hours shadowing the N.P. due to availability.

I am currently in my second semester as a biomedical science master's student (1-year program) at CSU. My first semester was spent mostly in the lab doing a complete human dissection that is used for undergraduate anatomy prosection. I took courses in advanced anatomy (basically cross sectional and case study anatomy) and medical physiology. I was a TA for the undergraduate anatomy course as well. I finished the semester with a 3.53 GPA. This semester I am taking classes such as neuroanatomy, medical physiology 2, and nerve and muscle toxins and diseases. I am also a GTA for undergraduate physiology laboratory principles, so I teach 3 times a week.

I will be applying for the 3rd time this April and am focusing on many new programs and programs that are currently on accreditation probation. I am also trying to stay away from state schools! If things go as planned, at the end of this semester my GPA's will be approx. Overall: 3.4; Science 3.2; GRE: 151,148,4.5

Is this master's degree helping my cause? Any suggestions as I make the push for April CASPA opening?

Hi paadmissions,

Thank you for your guidance and generosity.

I've done my best to search out similar posts to avoid duplicate questions on retaking classes. In your previous responses you recommended retaking prerequisite courses that applicants did poorly in during undergrad. Would the same advice apply if the course was already repeated once in undergrad and I received a C the second time around? This has happened to me in gen chem and calculus.

Like many others, i had a rough time during undergrad due to many personal and family demands and ended up with a cgpa of 2.81 and sgpa of 2.82. I am planning to take additional rigorous science courses (about 32 additional units) to pull up my weak gpa. 

In terms of taking informal post-bacc classes vs. enrolling in a formal program, is there any difference (besides cost)? Would taking informal classes be viewed as less rigorous (even if they are taken at a 4 year university)?

Since graduating from a uc I've taken A&P and Microbio at a cc and received A's in both. After completing the second part of A&P and Stats this semester at a cc, I plan to take the rest of my science upper divs at a 4 year institution. Would it weaken my application to have taken A&P and Stats at a cc instead of a 4 year?

Lastly, I also anticipate that I will need to retake gen chem and calc and was wondering if I could take these at a cc instead of a 4 year since you mentioned they are usually transferable? Should I take them at a 4 year instead to prove I can handle the curriculum, since I would be taking the course for the third time?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

@thecrazycelt Thank you for your question. I will give a hypothetical scenario to help you as if you were applying to our program.  Let's say your graduation date is May 2016 and you have plans to enter the program in August 2016 (our start date). You would begin the CASPA application in April 2015..16 months in advance of the start date. Keep in mind that all programs have different start dates (January, May, June, August) so keep in mind that regardless of the start date, the application always opens the April before the start date. To ensure you're applying at the right time, you may want to run your plan by the admissions coordinator at the programs you're interested in to make sure you're on track. Hope this helps!

Stupid question time. 

How early do I apply for PA school? I have my 2 year degree done and will be starting on my Bachelors work this summer. I anticipate being done with my Bachelors in the next 1.5-2 years. By the end of the next Fall semester I will have all of my pre-reqs completed for my top choice of schools. I have also seen posts on this site for that schools 2017 program. I don't want to be done with my Bachelors and have to sit around for 1-2 years waiting to start PA school, but I don't want to apply to early and screw anything up. 

@shalom Thank you for your question. The best advice is to wait and not contact the program further unless they've invited you for an interview. I always tell applicants to be patient and don't continuously call the program(s) to ask if they'll be considered for an interview. If you qualify for an interview, the program will contact you. Our program also contacts applicants, via email, at the close of considerations to inform them that all seats have been filled. Some programs do that, some do not. That said, be patient and if an interview is not granted ask for feedback on ways to improve your application for future cycles. Hope this helps.

Hello paadmissions, and thank you for taking our questions.

This is my third time applying to pa schools with low overall gpa(under 3.0). However, luckily i was able to get at least one interview each year but no acceptance to the program after the interview.
this cycle, i interviewed once and was not accepted. And I'm currently waiting from 2 more schools (denied from 5 schools without interview)
I know that i just need to wait patiently but as time goes by, I'm starting to get worried and wanting to call the school.
I actually called one of the school in November and the person I spoke to said i will get the interview invite for the January interview but i have not heard anything yet. Reading the forum, it seems that some were notified already on the 8th for the January interview. This pa program has interviews in oct. Nov. Jan. and feb (4 interviews total) Should i call the program again or just wait?

Thank you.

@smglodav Thank you for your question. I would make sure to get your prerequisites in order before you make the push to apply to any program. I would recommend that you contact the programs to make sure you don't need to go back and retake any of the sciences required for the programs you're applying to. I do think a masters degree will enhance your application, but in my opinion it's not going to replace the Cs in OChem, genetics, etc (if those type of courses are required). Considering retaking and improving those grades coupled with your master's degree is a more complete application in my opinion. Also, keep in mind that just because a program is new or on probation it doesn't mean they will take anyone who applies..All of these programs, just like established programs, want to take the most qualified applicants so be careful with having the mindset they are "desperate" to take students. I think you'll find their applicant pool to be as competitive as many other programs.  Hope this helps. 

Dear AD

I wanted to get your opinion on what admissions directors think of 1 year masters degrees and their ability to bolster a poor undergraduate GPA.

I did my undergraduate degree in Psychology and finished most of my science pre-recs as my electives. However, I did poorly in many of my science electives (C's in anatomy, genetics, and ochem).  Anyway, I applied my first year with an CASPA Overall GPA of 3.399 and a science GPA of 2.92 which obviously made applying and getting any sort of interview just about impossible. I decided to go work as a CNA and was eventually promoted to a shift manager for a year before leaving to work at a large eye lasik surgery center as an ophthalmic assistant. I have approx. 3,000 hours of paid patient contact. I have limited experience shadowing a D.O., N.P., and pediatric P.A. I spent the majority of my hours shadowing the N.P. due to availability.

I am currently in my second semester as a biomedical science master's student (1-year program) at CSU. My first semester was spent mostly in the lab doing a complete human dissection that is used for undergraduate anatomy prosection. I took courses in advanced anatomy (basically cross sectional and case study anatomy) and medical physiology. I was a TA for the undergraduate anatomy course as well. I finished the semester with a 3.53 GPA. This semester I am taking classes such as neuroanatomy, medical physiology 2, and nerve and muscle toxins and diseases. I am also a GTA for undergraduate physiology laboratory principles, so I teach 3 times a week.

I will be applying for the 3rd time this April and am focusing on many new programs and programs that are currently on accreditation probation. I am also trying to stay away from state schools! If things go as planned, at the end of this semester my GPA's will be approx. Overall: 3.4; Science 3.2; GRE: 151,148,4.5

Is this master's degree helping my cause? Any suggestions as I make the push for April CASPA opening?

@staypositive Thank you for your question. Formal Post-Bacc programs can sometimes, not all the time, be more rigorous because it is required for the student to take more than one class at time. For example, our university has a post-bacc program that requires students to take upper level courses and a heavy number of semester hours, especially in the fall and spring semesters, and is different than someone just taking courses at their own pace. Many post-bacc programs are purposely designed for students difficult courses and higher number of credits each semester to demonstrate to the committees that the student is able to handle the PA curriculum. I personally like the post-bacc programs that require a lot of the prerequisites (chemistries and biologies) as a part of the curriculum because they are RELEVANT to helping you enhance your application and prepare yourself to meet requirements. Some students join a post-bacc program that have classes that are not even close to meeting coursework requirements or may be more heavy in the biologies and no focus in the chemistries. It demonstrates the ability to do the work, but doesn't replace grades in the requirements.

In regards to your question about retaking calculus and gen chem 1 again, if you were to retake it do it at the university level since you've already taken it 2 times.  Depending on what other courses are required for the program(s) you're applying to, I would probably lean more to telling you to not take them again and focus on the upper level courses. It tends to be a red flag for applicants to retake a class 3 times so just keep that in mind..However, this is just my opinion and you may want to check with the programs you're applying to to see if they would recommend a retake. Hope this helps.

Hi paadmissions,

Thank you for your guidance and generosity.

I've done my best to search out similar posts to avoid duplicate questions on retaking classes. In your previous responses you recommended retaking prerequisite courses that applicants did poorly in during undergrad. Would the same advice apply if the course was already repeated once in undergrad and I received a C the second time around? This has happened to me in gen chem and calculus.

Like many others, i had a rough time during undergrad due to many personal and family demands and ended up with a cgpa of 2.81 and sgpa of 2.82. I am planning to take additional rigorous science courses (about 32 additional units) to pull up my weak gpa. 

In terms of taking informal post-bacc classes vs. enrolling in a formal program, is there any difference (besides cost)? Would taking informal classes be viewed as less rigorous (even if they are taken at a 4 year university)?

Since graduating from a uc I've taken A&P and Microbio at a cc and received A's in both. After completing the second part of A&P and Stats this semester at a cc, I plan to take the rest of my science upper divs at a 4 year institution. Would it weaken my application to have taken A&P and Stats at a cc instead of a 4 year?

Lastly, I also anticipate that I will need to retake gen chem and calc and was wondering if I could take these at a cc instead of a 4 year since you mentioned they are usually transferable? Should I take them at a 4 year instead to prove I can handle the curriculum, since I would be taking the course for the third time?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Hi! I applied this past cycle without any success, and I am putting together my application for this next cycle. I want to reconsider my recommendation letters in order to achieve the strongest possible submissions. I work in a hospital as a patient care technician and I have a couple years of HCE. So my question is who should I ask to write my 3 letters? Last year I asked one of my professors, my nursing supervisor, and the PA I had been shadowing to write my letters. I have a few doctors who I work with as well as the same PA. Would it be best to have all doctors and PA's to write my recommendation rather than a professor and my nurse supervisor? Which 3 of these are the most valuable in terms of recommendation letters?  Thank you!

@jtoole22 Thank you for your question. It depends on what the programs require. For example, for our program we require 1 academic reference (preferably a biology/chemistry professor) and 2 clinical references, one being from a PA if they've worked/shadowed with them. I know everyone's requirements are varied but I think it may be safe to say those are good recommendations (I hope). I think the people who wrote letters for you were solid, especially if the nurse was your supervisor? If he/she was not your supervisor you may want to consider one of the MDs to write a letter on your behalf. Hope this helps!

Hi! I applied this past cycle without any success, and I am putting together my application for this next cycle. I want to reconsider my recommendation letters in order to achieve the strongest possible submissions. I work in a hospital as a patient care technician and I have a couple years of HCE. So my question is who should I ask to write my 3 letters? Last year I asked one of my professors, my nursing supervisor, and the PA I had been shadowing to write my letters. I have a few doctors who I work with as well as the same PA. Would it be best to have all doctors and PA's to write my recommendation rather than a professor and my nurse supervisor? Which 3 of these are the most valuable in terms of recommendation letters?  Thank you!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

Firstly, thank you for this service you provide.

I am almost a 4th year podiatric medical student, and will graduate as a DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine) in April 2016. I have fallen in love with Family/Internal Med and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish my goals. I will be continuing my education and I am considering PA school over DO at this point. I want to treat with a full scope of practice and simply cannot do that with the DPM alone.

B.A Biology 1995 with 3.2ish, while on athletic scholarship. Podiatry school GPA >3.0. Our curriculum is basically identical to MD/DO for the first 2 yrs, very similar 3rd yr for clinical rotations, and we are all podiatry audition rotations our 4th yr.

HCE exclusively as a med student. Direct patient contact in the hospital and clinic setting, performing complete H&P’s, treating the patient, prescribing meds, giving injections, debriding wounds, etc, and subsequently writing SOAP notes. Supervised by physicians or residents, depending on the rotation. I also have significant volunteer experience, as a student doctor, serving the homeless by treating their feet.

Would this HCE be considered acceptable?

My main question is that with someone like me, who has taken the MCAT, succeeded in a very demanding medical program, has old pre-req’s for some schools’ requirements (we don't take O-chem in med school), yet completed over 20 credits a semester consisting of all doctoral level hardcore sciences, passed Boards Part I, and will take one more written Board exam and one Clinical Skills board exam before graduating, am I truly competitive in a GPA/GRE-driven application process?  For instance, will the GRE still be an absolute requirement? I would like to think that actually becoming a physician would indicate I do indeed have what it takes to be successful in PA school and in passing boards, but I feel like some programs may need to check off the boxes anyways? I realize you can only speak with regards to your program, so I am curious as to how my situation would be handled in your admissions department? As for LOR’s, I would have excellent ones from the Dean of my school, the Academic Dean, the Clinical Dean, a PA who taught us and I shadowed, and a practicing MD/DO or DPM who is familiar with my clinical ability and work ethic. 

I realize my GPA is not exactly competitive compared to many applicants, but it has not hindered my ability to perform well in medical school, even after a huge hiatus from undergrad.

I would be striving for a very competitive PA program, as I not only realize the value of a strong academic and clinical program, but also want the most demanding program that will challenge me on every level.  After graduating from PA, I would then make the decision whether to complete a PA or DPM residency.  

My goal is to apply this April. Retaking classes is simply not an option at this juncture. I will either matriculate into PA school or begin my 3- year podiatric surgical residency in 2016. I value your thoughts and/or concerns.

Thank you in advance for any assistance; it is most appreciated!

​And yes, this girl can fly a jet :)

@pilot2dpm Thank you for your questions. You have a very unique background and I'll do my best to offer some guidance. In regards to your prereq/GRE questions, I would think that all prerequisites, including the GRE, would have to be taken. As you've stated, I am speaking from our program's standpoint, but I would assume that programs may follow that same approach to stay within "fair admissions practices." That said, it's important to research those programs you want to apply to to see if there are any written policies on their websites that may state that they waive prerequisites or GREs based on educational background. Usually, if that is not a written policy, making it public knowledge (it has to be based on ARC-PA standards), you probably have to complete all requirements. It may be best to set up an appointment with the admissions reps to get a better understanding of their expectations. 

In regards to your hours, I would assume your hours that you've listed will count. Again, this question should be at the top of your list of questions for the programs you meet with. 

Finally, I would have your post-graduation plan worked out before you embark upon PA school. I can see many admissions committee's perceiving your plan less favorable versus an applicant who has no other desire but to practice as a PA after graduation. Although your intention may not be as I've perceived it, I think it will be seen as a "backup plan" in case you don't like DPM residency. I would recommend deep thought and consideration before pursuing the PA route. Hope this helps!

Firstly, thank you for this service you provide.

I am almost a 4th year podiatric medical student, and will graduate as a DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine) in April 2016. I have fallen in love with Family/Internal Med and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish my goals. I will be continuing my education and I am considering PA school over DO at this point. I want to treat with a full scope of practice and simply cannot do that with the DPM alone.

B.A Biology 1995 with 3.2ish, while on athletic scholarship. Podiatry school GPA >3.0. Our curriculum is basically identical to MD/DO for the first 2 yrs, very similar 3rd yr for clinical rotations, and we are all podiatry audition rotations our 4th yr.

HCE exclusively as a med student. Direct patient contact in the hospital and clinic setting, performing complete H&P’s, treating the patient, prescribing meds, giving injections, debriding wounds, etc, and subsequently writing SOAP notes. Supervised by physicians or residents, depending on the rotation. I also have significant volunteer experience, as a student doctor, serving the homeless by treating their feet.

Would this HCE be considered acceptable?

My main question is that with someone like me, who has taken the MCAT, succeeded in a very demanding medical program, has old pre-req’s for some schools’ requirements (we don't take O-chem in med school), yet completed over 20 credits a semester consisting of all doctoral level hardcore sciences, passed Boards Part I, and will take one more written Board exam and one Clinical Skills board exam before graduating, am I truly competitive in a GPA/GRE-driven application process?  For instance, will the GRE still be an absolute requirement? I would like to think that actually becoming a physician would indicate I do indeed have what it takes to be successful in PA school and in passing boards, but I feel like some programs may need to check off the boxes anyways? I realize you can only speak with regards to your program, so I am curious as to how my situation would be handled in your admissions department? As for LOR’s, I would have excellent ones from the Dean of my school, the Academic Dean, the Clinical Dean, a PA who taught us and I shadowed, and a practicing MD/DO or DPM who is familiar with my clinical ability and work ethic. 

I realize my GPA is not exactly competitive compared to many applicants, but it has not hindered my ability to perform well in medical school, even after a huge hiatus from undergrad.

I would be striving for a very competitive PA program, as I not only realize the value of a strong academic and clinical program, but also want the most demanding program that will challenge me on every level.  After graduating from PA, I would then make the decision whether to complete a PA or DPM residency.  

My goal is to apply this April. Retaking classes is simply not an option at this juncture. I will either matriculate into PA school or begin my 3- year podiatric surgical residency in 2016. I value your thoughts and/or concerns.

Thank you in advance for any assistance; it is most appreciated!

​And yes, this girl can fly a jet :)

• Upvote 1

First and foremost, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time and consideration to take part in this forum. Your insight and guidance is GREATLY appreciated, and is certainly the most valuable advice an aspiring PA student could ask for.  My name is Valerie Levy, and since I graduated undergrad in December 2012, I have applied to PA programs for 3 consecutive CASPA cycles. While I have made significant progress in my application over the years, the weakest point in my application has been my GPA. I have made several attempts to improve my GPA by taking Post-baccalaureate classes (while working full-time), but have not been able to improve my cumulative, or science GPA, even by a mere .01 points. As the competitive nature of this profession continues to grow, it is becoming more and more difficult to deem myself a “competitive” applicant by just meeting a program’s minimum GPA requirements. Even if I were to move my GPA an entire point through Post-baccalaureate classes, I still do not feel that it would be comparable to my competition.  

With that being said, I feel like I must consider alternative options in order to obtain a new and improved GPA. I am considering getting a Master of Public Health, or applying to nursing school, still with the end goal of re-applying to PA school and getting accepted. Although I could list 101 reasons why I’ve chosen the PA profession versus nursing, the nursing option at least offers a chance at a new GPA, and/or a job if I still am unable to get into PA school. However, I fear that it would contradict my commitment to the PA profession if I chose this path. Furthermore, the thousands of hours I’ve accrued in clinical experience have been through jobs, which closely mirror the responsibilities, medical decision-making skills, and overall mindset/Medical Model of a PA and MD. Most importantly, this field is not where my passion lies.

A Masters in Public Health would sync well with an aspiring PA, but does not guarantee acceptance into a program, or a job, especially if I do not achieve an outstanding GPA. On the other hand, this option definitely offers a chance to have a competitive GPA, and allow more time to fulfill other goals to improve my application in other areas, i.e.: Mission trip, volunteering, and obtain a medical Spanish certification. Regardless of my take on these options, I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve my passion and dream of becoming a Physician Assistant. At this point, I do not know if I should just apply for a fourth time after taking a few more classes, and after achieving the short-term goals I’ve listed, or pursue a more drastic detour such as achieving a Masters, or a Nursing degree. If there are even better alternatives that I am unaware of, then please let me know. What do you recommend? Again, thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Valerie Levy

Thank you for the information, it is absolutely helpful.

I can appreciate an admission committee's concerns about my intent, so just to clarify, PA would never be a backup.  I actually have had a business model in mind for the past 2 yrs to be a DPM/PA in a group Family Medicine practice. I would join their group, be an onsite podiatrist, as well as treat patients as a family practitioner. It would be instant referral source as a specialist, but most importantly, it's a way to do what I see myself being very happy doing. I could have my own patients, as well as help the practice with their overflow, call duty, etc. And, if they happen to have a patient in room 6 who needs a nail avulsion, there I am! Not only that, but my patient with the diabetic foot ulcer that I'm treating, I can now treat their diabetes as well! There are many advantages to going this route, but I'm not sure it makes financial sense getting there. Realistically, I may not want to do the DPM residency at all, for several reasons, and go strictly PA. Just trying to work through all of the options and determine what makes the most sense. Time and money are going to speak loudly to me since I'm a non-trad. For me, it's attractive to get the PA first so that I can possibly moonlight through DPM residency, if that's the route I choose to go. Plus, after doing a 3yr residency, it might be very difficult to go to PA school when I'm getting offered a handsome salary and ready to start working!

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just passionate about the DPM/PA combo and wish I had approached my school in my first year to try and do a combined degree, because I think it has so many applications. 

Thank you again, you have definitely given me some things to consider. 

Warmest regards, Pilot2DPM

@pilot2dpm Thank you for your questions. You have a very unique background and I'll do my best to offer some guidance. In regards to your prereq/GRE questions, I would think that all prerequisites, including the GRE, would have to be taken. As you've stated, I am speaking from our program's standpoint, but I would assume that programs may follow that same approach to stay within "fair admissions practices." That said, it's important to research those programs you want to apply to to see if there are any written policies on their websites that may state that they waive prerequisites or GREs based on educational background. Usually, if that is not a written policy, making it public knowledge (it has to be based on ARC-PA standards), you probably have to complete all requirements. It may be best to set up an appointment with the admissions reps to get a better understanding of their expectations. 

In regards to your hours, I would assume your hours that you've listed will count. Again, this question should be at the top of your list of questions for the programs you meet with. 

Finally, I would have your post-graduation plan worked out before you embark upon PA school. I can see many admissions committee's perceiving your plan less favorable versus an applicant who has no other desire but to practice as a PA after graduation. Although your intention may not be as I've perceived it, I think it will be seen as a "backup plan" in case you don't like DPM residency. I would recommend deep thought and consideration before pursuing the PA route. Hope this helps!

Dear Admissions Director,

I am in a spot where i am kind of confused on how to strengthen my application. I have received 2 C's in my pre-req work and was thinking of retaking those courses but on the other hand i also wanted to take some very specific science courses (such as immunology and pathology). I would like to ask you which course of action an admissions director would rather see.

Thank you for your time

• Upvote 1

Firstly, thank you so much for all this information! I recently graduated from Berkeley with a degree in Integrative Biology and am taking the last few prerequisites that are needed by most of the schools I'm applying to. My GRE total score is 324 but I have two Cs on my transcript from my freshmen year (in biology and chemistry) which I am in the process of retaking a community college and my GPA from Berkeley is only at a 3.2. By the time I apply to PA school which will hopefully be in the summer/fall of 2016, I will have completed roughly 2000 hours of clinical experience as a CNA. How competitive do you think I am as a candidate? I'm concerned about my rough freshman year in addition to my proposed hours of clinical experience. Do you have any advice to help me set myself apart from the crowd in the eyes of admissions officers? Again, thank you!!

Thank you so much for all the information you have provided. I am having to make a difficult decision and would love your opinion. I applied to 5 programs and interviewed at 4 and was accepted to 1 wait listed at another. The program I was accepted to is a very good school but I originally applied with the hopes of pursuing surgery and their surgical training is not as strong as the other schools I interviewed at. It's a good school but I was not in love with it when I left. Would it look bad on my application if I turned down an acceptance and re-applied next cycle to schools I know I would love attending?

My undergraduate GPA is a 3.7 I scored a 317 on the GRE and I will have around 3000+ Hours of direct patient care. The one thing I'm missing is shadowing which I would do if I was to re-apply.

@vlevy Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. You raise an interesting question and it is a question I get quite often. I usually discourage people from going to nursing school if their end result is PA. However, you make a valid point, in my opinion, that you have something to fall back on if PA school does not work out. Keep in mind that the nursing profession also opens avenues to NP school should you change your mind or if PA does not work out. It will offer you a chance at improving your GPA and maybe allow you the opportunity to retake some (definitely not all) of the prerequisites required for PA school. Note, that it won't allow you a "clean slate" for your GPA (the way the GPA is calculated on CASPA), but hopefully will make some improvements overall. An MPH program is an ok avenue, but not a program I recommend since there are not a lot of science (prerequisite) related courses in the curriculum. If you were to choose a master's route I usually recommend a more relevant science field like Physiology, Genetics, Anatomy, Biology, etc. I hope this helps and best wishes with your decision. 

First and foremost, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time and consideration to take part in this forum. Your insight and guidance is GREATLY appreciated, and is certainly the most valuable advice an aspiring PA student could ask for.  My name is Valerie Levy, and since I graduated undergrad in December 2012, I have applied to PA programs for 3 consecutive CASPA cycles. While I have made significant progress in my application over the years, the weakest point in my application has been my GPA. I have made several attempts to improve my GPA by taking Post-baccalaureate classes (while working full-time), but have not been able to improve my cumulative, or science GPA, even by a mere .01 points. As the competitive nature of this profession continues to grow, it is becoming more and more difficult to deem myself a “competitive” applicant by just meeting a program’s minimum GPA requirements. Even if I were to move my GPA an entire point through Post-baccalaureate classes, I still do not feel that it would be comparable to my competition.  

With that being said, I feel like I must consider alternative options in order to obtain a new and improved GPA. I am considering getting a Master of Public Health, or applying to nursing school, still with the end goal of re-applying to PA school and getting accepted. Although I could list 101 reasons why I’ve chosen the PA profession versus nursing, the nursing option at least offers a chance at a new GPA, and/or a job if I still am unable to get into PA school. However, I fear that it would contradict my commitment to the PA profession if I chose this path. Furthermore, the thousands of hours I’ve accrued in clinical experience have been through jobs, which closely mirror the responsibilities, medical decision-making skills, and overall mindset/Medical Model of a PA and MD. Most importantly, this field is not where my passion lies.

A Masters in Public Health would sync well with an aspiring PA, but does not guarantee acceptance into a program, or a job, especially if I do not achieve an outstanding GPA. On the other hand, this option definitely offers a chance to have a competitive GPA, and allow more time to fulfill other goals to improve my application in other areas, i.e.: Mission trip, volunteering, and obtain a medical Spanish certification. Regardless of my take on these options, I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve my passion and dream of becoming a Physician Assistant. At this point, I do not know if I should just apply for a fourth time after taking a few more classes, and after achieving the short-term goals I’ve listed, or pursue a more drastic detour such as achieving a Masters, or a Nursing degree. If there are even better alternatives that I am unaware of, then please let me know. What do you recommend? Again, thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

Valerie Levy

@lefkovic1 Thank you for your question. It depends on which courses you've scored a C in and what is required for the programs you're applying to. If the C is in upper level Biology or Chemistry requirements  (i.e. A&P, Microbiology, Organic I or II, Biochemistry) I may recommend a retake in at least one of them. Your plan to take the other courses are good additional courses that will help  you prepare for PA school. If you have the option to take a retake and new course at the same time that could be something to consider. Hope this helps.

I am in a spot where i am kind of confused on how to strengthen my application. I have received 2 C's in my pre-req work and was thinking of retaking those courses but on the other hand i also wanted to take some very specific science courses (such as immunology and pathology). I would like to ask you which course of action an admissions director would rather see.

Thank you for your time

@emkipe47 Thank you for your question. I don't think those early Cs will hurt your application as much as you think. What I would focus on would be how you've performed in the prerequisites required for the program to make sure that GPA is exceeding at least a 3.2. It does help that Berkeley is known for their academic rigor so that may help with some, not all, programs. .I break down GPAs even further than an overall prerequisite GPA. For example, if a student is barely meeting the prerequisite GPA recommendation of a 3.2 I break their GPA down further to calculate their Biology and Chemistry GPA. Applicants need to be in the range of 3.2. or higher to be competitive with the applicant pool. I would take a look at your work the same way, and see if you can determine where you may need improvement, if any. Hope this helps! 

Firstly, thank you so much for all this information! I recently graduated from Berkeley with a degree in Integrative Biology and am taking the last few prerequisites that are needed by most of the schools I'm applying to. My GRE total score is 324 but I have two Cs on my transcript from my freshmen year (in biology and chemistry) which I am in the process of retaking a community college and my GPA from Berkeley is only at a 3.2. By the time I apply to PA school which will hopefully be in the summer/fall of 2016, I will have completed roughly 2000 hours of clinical experience as a CNA. How competitive do you think I am as a candidate? I'm concerned about my rough freshman year in addition to my proposed hours of clinical experience. Do you have any advice to help me set myself apart from the crowd in the eyes of admissions officers? Again, thank you!!

@jtameler5441 Thank you for your question. Out of curiosity, how have you determined the surgical training is not as good at the program you've been accepted to? If they offer a surgery course in the didactic year and surgery rotation, I'm fairly confident you're receiving adequate education/exposure to prepare you for clinical practice....but that's just my assumption based on accreditation standards.  You've provided results from 2 of the 4 interviews that you've had, so I'm assuming  you were not accepted to the other 2? If you have not received acceptances from other programs you may want to consider accepting the one acceptance, BUT if you did not feel  the program you've been accepted to is a good fit for you, I would rather see an applicant turn down the acceptance and pursue other programs in the future. I'm sure that sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but consider carefully before you move on. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for all the information you have provided. I am having to make a difficult decision and would love your opinion. I applied to 5 programs and interviewed at 4 and was accepted to 1 wait listed at another. The program I was accepted to is a very good school but I originally applied with the hopes of pursuing surgery and their surgical training is not as strong as the other schools I interviewed at. It's a good school but I was not in love with it when I left. Would it look bad on my application if I turned down an acceptance and re-applied next cycle to schools I know I would love attending?
My undergraduate GPA is a 3.7 I scored a 317 on the GRE and I will have around 3000+ Hours of direct patient care. The one thing I'm missing is shadowing which I would do if I was to re-apply.

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer the questions posted.

I would like to know what you think about my case and what you would recommend for me to have a better chance of being accepted to PA school.

When I was a sophomore during  my undergraduate program I was put on probation and was dismissed from school as a result of bad performance. I was working a full-time job and attending school at the same time. I re-applied to the same school and was accepted back the following semester. My GPA went from 1.65 to a cumulative 2.8 (science >3.0)  and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology. I started a job at the same university after graduation as a Research Coordinator where I've obtained ample patient experience (>4000 hrs). I also took the rest of the prerequisites (13 credits)  and I got all As. After calculating my new GPA, I'm at a cumulative of approx. 2.9 and I plan to take more science classes to bring it above 3.0. I also did a medical mission in South America last year for 2 weeks and do volunteer work at a clinic and my local food bank. I have 3 shadowed doctors, 4 PAs (ID, pain management, OB/GYN,) 1 NP. 

I will be taking the GRE next month and I already have great references from PAs and Doctors. 

This will be my first time applying and even if I don't get accepted, I will keep trying. 

Again, thank you for your time and valuable advice. 

Dear PA admissions ,

Thank you for all your help and valuable insight. I recently had an interview with the school I want to join. It was a whole day interview . My interview started with students interview which went very well and ended with faculty interviews. One of the faculty had lot of questions about my experience in India. I am a medical graduate from India. He asked me questions if I practiced medicine in India for which I replied for a short time before I came to US. His next question was " How do you feel about working as a PA under a physician "? Would you be comfortable doing it? I was prepared to questions like this and answered him about my experience in US, how I have enjoyed working under many physicians etc. My question to you is will this work against me to get into PA school ? I know the faculty is looking for people who can work with others, be a team player etc. Which I explained in the interview how I have worked with different people effectively with examples. I was drilled with many questions about If I will ask for help when needed, again I was prepared and answered them well with examples. My question is will my work experience in India work for me or against me in the selection process?

Another faculty interview went very well and she had very positive feed back for me. They said they will let every one know in a weeks time. Usually does admission committee sit together and make a decision?? I am just wondering how my work experience in India ( I practiced in General Medicine for a short time) would affect my admission. Thank you very much for your time.

I would really appreciate if you can give me advise.

I'm working on my personal statement and I have a dilemma. There are many things that could work as an advantage and disadvantage for my case.

I fled from another country due to my political views being afraid for my life. I overcame many difficult decisions to get where I'm at now. I always wanted to be in a health care but my family was against it. So when I came here and learned English enough to start taking classes I developed the plan that looked logical. I decided to get into Nursing School to become a nurse, get a bachelor degree in Nursing while taking prerequisites for PA school. I always knew that nursing wouldn't be enough for my personality and went through the school so I would be able to be around helping patients, would have a profession, would be able to pay my bills. I worked two jobs while in Nursing school to be able to afford its cost. Now, I work full time position in the hospital as an RN, while taking 20 credits in three different colleges (one to get my BSN in July, 2015; and two others for prereqs). My academic career had a "hiccup" when I had to drop out from school due to my husband's injury. He wasn't able to work for few months and I had to find a third job to be able to survive and pay for his medical bills.

My GPA: 3.6 from out of country university, 3.2 from nursing school, 4.0 from BSN program.

We live in the area where people are very judgmental. I often witness statements that foreigners took their jobs, foreigners get paid for everything (education, medical bills, living expenses), and etc. In my case I didn't get any assistance and had to push through with what I've earned. Saying that, I'm not sure if I should even mention that I'm a foreigner and/or asylee. 

Is it an advantage to come to this country and build the life without anyone's help? Is it an advantage to work while studying? Is it an advantage to become an RN to get to the PA school?

Thank you so much!