Ask a PA Admissions Director

@sig194 Thanks for your question. I don't think it hurts to submit your application for this cycle. I would be sure to make sure you finish your chemistries out strong as I think those are good predictors of success in PA school and course that carry heavy weight at some programs. I would address your change in career briefly in your PS as that will help paint a clear picture on why you've chosen to go a different route. It's not a bad thing at all, but something you should mention...it will probably be a question during your interview. You've demonstrated your dedication to healthcare with your experiences thus far so I think that is helpful. If this cycle doesn't work out, you can always ask for feedback for improvements. I hope this helps and best wishes this cycle!

Hello there - thanks for taking the time to read this.  I have searched this forum and could not find a topic that portrays a situation like mine and I hoped that you could give a little insight.

I'm 35 and applying to PA programs for the first time this cycle.  My main concern is my undergrad science gpa which was 2.72 in the late 90s/early 2000s.  Since then I've earned an MBA (3.18 gpa), I've taken (and will be taking Orgo 1) all PA school pre-reqs with mostly As (and a 79 C in Chem) and a 3.56 post-bacc science gpa (other stats below).

Are my odds good this cycle assuming great LORs, HCEs, and shadowing experience and with the numbers below?

Almost 17 years ago, I saw my future very differently and I hope that will not keep me from being a PA. I hope my last 30 hours prove that I'm a focused and driven adult.  I'm planning to apply to about 27 programs as I really want to make it this cycle.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cum Undergrad GPA - 3.37
Post Bacc GPA - 3.72
MBA GPA - 3.18
Overall GPA - 3.34

Bacc Science - 2.72
Post Bacc Science - 3.56 (most of my last 30 hrs are here - As in Anatomy, Phys, Abnormal Psych, Micro.)
Cum Undergrad/Overall Science - 3.00

Bacc Non Sci - 3.47

Post Bacc Non Sci - 4.00

GRE: 155 Verbal & 150 Quant - 4.0 Written

HCE: 2100+ paid CNA hrs
PA Shadow: 52 hrs

@minhvan Thank you for your question. The answer to your question will depend on the programs you're applying to. All programs have different policies in place for foreign graduates so it's best to research requirements prior to applying. For example, for our program, if your WES evaluation determines that your coursework in your country is equivalent to a bachelor's degree or a Doctor of Medicine in the US, then you have completed the bachelor's degree requirement for the program. However, all required coursework for our program has to be taken in the US regardless if you've already taken similar courses in your country. TOEFL scores must also be submitted in addition to GRE scores. Many programs will require a certain number of courses or particular courses to be completed in the US so keep that in mind. I hope this helps!

Hi, I'm a foreign medical graduate and now residing in the US. I'd love to continue to work in healthcare field. 

I wonder if my medical doctor degree (from outside of the US) can be counted as a 4-year bachelor degree in the US?

Thank you!

Hello! Thank you so so soooo much for starting this thread! I recently moved away from my Alma mater where i received a degree in Biology. Now, I feel as if I don't really have an outlet to ask advice of! I'm in sort of the same situation as Whimzical. I graduated in December of 2012 (took me 3.5 years to receive a 4 year degree), however my GPA was deplorable. I was working 30 hours a week as a pharmacy tech, so my grades really suffered ( 2.5 GPA...  ;( terrible I know). I recently took 18 credits of science courses at my local community college, and I am signed up for another 10 this summer. I did VERY well, my classes included microbiology, anatomy II, Organic Chemistry I, developmental Psychology and an intro level bio class as a GPA booster. I got 3 "A's" and 2 "B's" . This helped increase my GPA a little, and hopefully with these classes this summer a little more.

I know My application is being brought down by my GPA, the rest of my app is pretty decent! I feel my personal statement is strong, my HCE hours are above 5,000, and I did some student leadership as well as shadowing (PA and MDs). What can I do? I got married right after I graduated, so my last semester I did terrible. There is definitely an upward trend, but I feel like it just will not cut it. This is my second cycle applying to PA schools. I received no interviews last cycle. 

I would love to include my personal statement if you are up to reading it and giving some advice? :)

Any and all advice would be amazing!

Thanks in advance! 

@sarak Thanks for your post. If you would like to PM or email the PS I will take a look at it. My email is jmish@methodist.edu. It may take a few days to get back with you, but I will be happy to look at it. Be sure to seek feedback from the programs you applied to last cycle to see if your current plan to continue taking or retaking courses at the cc level is acceptable, beneficial to your preparation and something that will enhance your application. From our program's standpoint, I usually recommend that applicants stick with as many courses at the university level if possible...especially upper level biology and chemistry requirements. I would also encourage you to go above and beyond requirements if you have the time and resources. For example, if the program does not require Org II and Biochemistry I would definitely encourage you to take one or both of those courses. If you had to prioritize Biochemistry will be the most beneficial of those courses to prepare you for PA school. Other courses you may want to consider: Medical Micro, Cell Physiology, Cell Bio, Developmental Bio, Genetics (this may be required of the programs you're applying to). I hope this helps and look forward to hearing back from you. PS- Here is a link to some PS hints if you would like to review this prior to sending me your statement: http://www.methodist.edu/paprogram/statement.htm

Hello! Thank you so so soooo much for starting this thread! I recently moved away from my Alma mater where i received a degree in Biology. Now, I feel as if I don't really have an outlet to ask advice of! I'm in sort of the same situation as Whimzical. I graduated in December of 2012 (took me 3.5 years to receive a 4 year degree), however my GPA was deplorable. I was working 30 hours a week as a pharmacy tech, so my grades really suffered ( 2.5 GPA...  ;( terrible I know). I recently took 18 credits of science courses at my local community college, and I am signed up for another 10 this summer. I did VERY well, my classes included microbiology, anatomy II, Organic Chemistry I, developmental Psychology and an intro level bio class as a GPA booster. I got 3 "A's" and 2 "B's" . This helped increase my GPA a little, and hopefully with these classes this summer a little more.

I know My application is being brought down by my GPA, the rest of my app is pretty decent! I feel my personal statement is strong, my HCE hours are above 5,000, and I did some student leadership as well as shadowing (PA and MDs). What can I do? I got married right after I graduated, so my last semester I did terrible. There is definitely an upward trend, but I feel like it just will not cut it. This is my second cycle applying to PA schools. I received no interviews last cycle. 

I would love to include my personal statement if you are up to reading it and giving some advice? :)

Any and all advice would be amazing!

Thanks in advance! 

Hello @paadmissions,

My question pertains to the supplemental applications that some PA programs require in addition to the CASPA application. Can you give me some advice on how much weight is put into those supplemental applications, and how to make the most of that additional narrative? What content should I be putting in each supplemental application (other than making sure I follow any prompts that have been given)? How should it be different from my CASPA PS? What do you recommend I focus on?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I was dismissed from a doctoral health professional program due to academics that I received while being ill. I still have the experience and the knowledge for many of the courses in PA programs and I am sure that I will be able to handle the course load. I also have a Master of Public Health. My MPH GPA was about a 3.5 and cumulative undergraduate GPA was maybe about 2.9 with a 2.8 science GPA. I have lots of healthcare experience well over 2000k of HCE. Does being dismissed due to academics dramatically decrease my chances of getting into PA school? If so, What things may I have to do to show a admissions committee I am able to rise to the challenge of their program?

Thank you for your response. 

Hi there, It is great that you are answering all these questions , very helpful. My question is, I got a C in General Bio (100 level) back in my freshman year of undergrad, about 10 years ago. I am in the process of taking all the pre reqs for PA school and am wondering if it is a better idea to retake the 100 level bio or take an upper division bio in its place. I have already taken human bio and anatomy and Physiology with Human cadaver dissection, so the 100 level gen bio just seems like a step back. I was thinking of taking Molecular bio instead . What do you think?

Thanks you in advance for your reply

Kimberlee Tess

@newbie Thanks for your questions.  I will try my best to answer this one...we don't require a supplemental application so I'm going off assumption. I assume that programs that require a supplemental put a lot of weight into this application. I say that because the purpose of an additional application would be for the program to gather more specific information and a chance for programs to ask questions or require essays that are more focused on their missions (i.e. rural practice or primary care focus). As you stated, following the prompts is going to be very important and the essay(s) that are required should express your desire to meet those objectives/missions. For examples, if you're applying to a program that has a focus in underserved areas, you need to make sure you express your desire to work in those types of areas upon graduation. If you don't have a desire to enter into those types of areas, I would probably encourage you to reconsider moving forward with applying to that program. Pursuing a program that will not meet your goals is not encouraged on my end simply because there will be requirements (i.e. clinical rotations) within the program that will require you to be educated outside of what you're expecting. So to answer your question, I would put a lot time into the supplemental application if given the opportunity. Hope this helps!

Hello @paadmissions,

My question pertains to the supplemental applications that some PA programs require in addition to the CASPA application. Can you give me some advice on how much weight is put into those supplemental applications, and how to make the most of that additional narrative? What content should I be putting in each supplemental application (other than making sure I follow any prompts that have been given)? How should it be different from my CASPA PS? What do you recommend I focus on?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

• Upvote 2

@MSUFAN thank you for your question. I would first try and make contact with the programs that you're interested in to see what their policies are for dismissal from a graduate or doctoral program. More than likely you may see more ineligibility for applicants who have been dismissed from MD, DO, PA or Nursing program than the type of program you're referring to, but your dismissal may still be a red flag for some committees. However, if you are encouraged to apply to the programs that you're interested in, you need to be very clear in your personal statement that your illness affected your performance in the program. Just from my standpoint, I would also be curious to know why you did not withdraw from the program prior to being dismissed if that was an option given to you (not criticizing, just being curious). I would also devote a tad bit more of an explanation than I would normally encourage an applicant to do who had a pass academic hiccup. Don't go on and on about it, but a little bit more explanation is needed in my opinion. You need to definitely address what you learned from the situation that has prepared you for PA school. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I was dismissed from a doctoral health professional program due to academics that I received while being ill. I still have the experience and the knowledge for many of the courses in PA programs and I am sure that I will be able to handle the course load. I also have a Master of Public Health. My MPH GPA was about a 3.5 and cumulative undergraduate GPA was maybe about 2.9 with a 2.8 science GPA. I have lots of healthcare experience well over 2000k of HCE. Does being dismissed due to academics dramatically decrease my chances of getting into PA school? If so, What things may I have to do to show a admissions committee I am able to rise to the challenge of their program?

Thank you for your response. 

@kmtess Thank you for your question. I would encourage you to focus on upper level courses at this point. If that C was your only C and since it was 10 years ago, I don't think that will impact your application that much. Your goal now is demonstrating your ability to handle the PA curriculum and the best way to show that is with a solid performance in upper level courses. Hope this helps.

Hi there, It is great that you are answering all these questions , very helpful. My question is, I got a C in General Bio (100 level) back in my freshman year of undergrad, about 10 years ago. I am in the process of taking all the pre reqs for PA school and am wondering if it is a better idea to retake the 100 level bio or take an upper division bio in its place. I have already taken human bio and anatomy and Physiology with Human cadaver dissection, so the 100 level gen bio just seems like a step back. I was thinking of taking Molecular bio instead . What do you think?

Thanks you in advance for your reply

Kimberlee Tess

Hello,

First, I would like to say thank you for taking your time to answer all these questions for everyone. I am writing you to try and figure out how much my GPA is going to affect my application. I just made an excel spreadsheat doing my GPA the CASPA way. Some of the results alarmed me because I wasn't the best student until my junior year of college. Anyway, I will just give you the facts. I am an RT with critical care credentials with over 6000 paid HCE in two very well known hospitals in the country under my belt (work with PAs, NPs, MDs every shift). My Bachelor's is in exercise science with minor in business admin. and my associate's in respiratory care. With that being said, I know my HCE is going to help me immensely. Now, for the GPA results I got from both my degrees.

sGPA: 3.31

Non-science GPA: 3.0

Post bacc sGPA: 3.47

Post Bacc non-sGPA: 4.0

Overall GPA: 3.16

Post bacc GPA: 3.49

Pre-req GPA: 2.75

As of right now, I have all the pre-reqs. My dismal pre-req GPA is low because I took Gen chem, Gen bio, and A/P my freshman/sophmore year of undergrad and I was not exactly mature yet. Plus, I was a student athlete. This past year I took Gen Chem over again (full year) got an A and a B. I have an A in organic/biochem. This upcoming year I am repeating A/P and General bio. I am taking the GRE in two months so it is pending as well. The schools I plan to apply to have 'recommended' GPAs of 3.2< for overall and pre-req GPA.

As you can see, I have a lot of credit hours so it is pretty time consuming to bring my GPA up. When factoring in pre-req GPA, does the ADCOMS do it with the new pre-req grades or the CASPA way where everything factors in? Looking at CASPAs FAQ section, I do not see a pre-req row for the GPA calculations. My last 60 hours GPA is 3.48 and it trends up after my sophomore year. Should I be worried about this pre-req GPA? I guess I am asking on how in depth the look at GPA, I know the application is roughly 6 components. I keep thinking that if they see that number (it will be higher when I apply) that they would just not even consider the application. Are those first two years of college going to haunt me?

I am applying in the 2016 CASPA cycle.

Thank you for your time.

I guess my biggest dilemma now is I may need to retake some core classes.  I graduated in 2003 and have been a scientist for over 12 yrs now.  I have desired to get into the medical field.  But excuses and bills later I want to go into PA.  My overall GPA and science are both over 3.4.  I havent taken the GRE and I dont have the HCE yet.  I just finished getting CNA cert. and now looking to start working in the field to gain experience and hours.  But with all of that I STILL may need to take some prereq courses because ive graduated over 10 yrs ago from college

First, thanks for taking the time to be responsive to this forum. It's greatly appreciated.

So here's my strange question: how amenable are P.A. programs to non-traditional students? I started out in my undergrad years as a Biochem/pre-med student, but kept daydreaming about all of my English courses during my chem and bio lectures. I pursued my love of English, earned a Ph.D., and am tenured. Here's the problem: I think I'm really supposed to be a P.A. Many life experiences intervened and have led me to this decision. It's not being made on a whim and has been pretty darn gut-wrenching to be honest--after all, what kind of person would throw away a tenured academic position to go back to school?

So I will be starting to finish my pre-reqs this coming fall while teaching full-time. Should I apply without working in a field that has direct patient contact (I have nominally ventured into the field of narrative medicine--albeit from the English Ph.D. side of the coin)? Will shadowing and knocking my prereq GPA out of the park be enough? My cumulative GPA in undergrad was 3.67 and in my Ph.D. program I earned a 4.0.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning paadmissions,

Thank you for taking the time to review and answer our questions. My question pertains to required coursework. I graduated from Appalachian State University in 2012 with a BS in Health Promotion. After gaining some life experience I decided to pursue PA school. Realizing I lacked a couple of credit hours for anatomy and physiology, as well as Bio 2, I completed the courses at a local community college. It wasn't until afterwards that I discovered that Methodist strongly recommends taking all prerequisites at an accredited 4 year college or university. Will this affect my admission into the PA program? I received A's in all science related courses at App State, as well as A's in the courses I took at the community college. Thank you for taking the time to look over my question. I look forward to hearing from you.

- Charity

@paadmissions

I recently started back to school after originally starting in 2008 as a 17 year old. I had no clue what I wanted to do then (or at least didn't put forth the right amount of effort to do what I wanted) and jumped around to different programs from nursing to business to biology - so I have classes and electives everywhere.  That said, I also didn't put forth the best of effort and got B's, C's, and D's - including D's in A&P.

Like I said earlier, since I've started back, I've retaken A&P and received A's in the courses, and I'm working on the necessary chemistry and chemistry labs.  Fixing the grades in A&P obviously helps my GPA, but the original grades will still be on my transcripts - along with the new grades.  But I also have bad grades in things like accounting and business classes that are obviously not necessary for the PA program here.

The question is: how do these grades affect potential opportunities to interview and join a PA program?  My science courses will have good grades (originally or from retakes) but I will still have the lower grades in business/accounting.  Do programs look at it as a "turnaround story" or will these bad decisions 7 years ago affect my chances?

@paadmissions

I was just wondering how it looks to admissions committees if I previously applied to med school a few years ago. I will be applying to some of the same schools that I initially applied to for med school. If I get interviews I have the perfect answers why I changed to PA and all my ECs can back this up (shadowing PAs etc). I just want to make sure I get that opportunity to explain and not get auto screened because of that.

I might just be overthinking it. Thanks

paadmissions,

I am applying to PA school this cycle and I feel I am competitive with all of my scores.  I am a 52 y.o. male who has over 8500 hrs of HCE (former paramedic) and 25+ years of leadership, management, work and life experience over most PA applicants.  As an outlier from the general PA demographic, I was wondering is how much weight does this carry with the Admissions Committee?

Thanks so much for your help!

@MSUFAN thank you for your question. I would first try and make contact with the programs that you're interested in to see what their policies are for dismissal from a graduate or doctoral program. More than likely you may see more ineligibility for applicants who have been dismissed from MD, DO, PA or Nursing program than the type of program you're referring to, but your dismissal may still be a red flag for some committees. However, if you are encouraged to apply to the programs that you're interested in, you need to be very clear in your personal statement that your illness affected your performance in the program. Just from my standpoint, I would also be curious to know why you did not withdraw from the program prior to being dismissed if that was an option given to you (not criticizing, just being curious). I would also devote a tad bit more of an explanation than I would normally encourage an applicant to do who had a pass academic hiccup. Don't go on and on about it, but a little bit more explanation is needed in my opinion. You need to definitely address what you learned from the situation that has prepared you for PA school. Hope this helps!

@mwb25 Thanks for your question. I think the weaker part of your application based on the info provided will be the prerequisite GPA. However, I would ask the following questions

• Main question to your question: Is that prerequisite GPA calculated with the highest grade received in those classes? For example, for our program we take the highest grade received in the course if you've retaken a course(s). However, some programs average the two grades together. I would definitely work on getting those grades up, in a consistent manner, before submitting your application.
  • Your post-bacc work...how many hours is that GPA based upon and where were those courses taken.

You may even want to go as far checking with the programs that you're planning to apply to to see if you would be competitive. If not, you need to ask if there are ways to improve or enhance your chances. Applying to PA schools is very time consuming and expensive so you want to try and limit the number of times you need to apply if resources are limited. Hope this helps!

Hello,

First, I would like to say thank you for taking your time to answer all these questions for everyone. I am writing you to try and figure out how much my GPA is going to affect my application. I just made an excel spreadsheat doing my GPA the CASPA way. Some of the results alarmed me because I wasn't the best student until my junior year of college. Anyway, I will just give you the facts. I am an RT with critical care credentials with over 6000 paid HCE in two very well known hospitals in the country under my belt (work with PAs, NPs, MDs every shift). My Bachelor's is in exercise science with minor in business admin. and my associate's in respiratory care. With that being said, I know my HCE is going to help me immensely. Now, for the GPA results I got from both my degrees.

sGPA: 3.31

Non-science GPA: 3.0

Post bacc sGPA: 3.47

Post Bacc non-sGPA: 4.0

Overall GPA: 3.16

Post bacc GPA: 3.49

Pre-req GPA: 2.75

As of right now, I have all the pre-reqs. My dismal pre-req GPA is low because I took Gen chem, Gen bio, and A/P my freshman/sophmore year of undergrad and I was not exactly mature yet. Plus, I was a student athlete. This past year I took Gen Chem over again (full year) got an A and a B. I have an A in organic/biochem. This upcoming year I am repeating A/P and General bio. I am taking the GRE in two months so it is pending as well. The schools I plan to apply to have 'recommended' GPAs of 3.2< for overall and pre-req GPA.

As you can see, I have a lot of credit hours so it is pretty time consuming to bring my GPA up. When factoring in pre-req GPA, does the ADCOMS do it with the new pre-req grades or the CASPA way where everything factors in? Looking at CASPAs FAQ section, I do not see a pre-req row for the GPA calculations. My last 60 hours GPA is 3.48 and it trends up after my sophomore year. Should I be worried about this pre-req GPA? I guess I am asking on how in depth the look at GPA, I know the application is roughly 6 components. I keep thinking that if they see that number (it will be higher when I apply) that they would just not even consider the application. Are those first two years of college going to haunt me?

I am applying in the 2016 CASPA cycle.

Thank you for your time.

@educatedblkman Thank you for your post. You will find that most programs require or strongly recommend retakes in certain prerequisites, so as you've noted you'll need to have a plan in place to take or retake those courses. Even if retakes are strongly recommended, based on non-traditional students I've spoken with, it helps to retake courses like A&P, Med Term, Organic I, Biochemistry and Micro. These type of classes are helpful in the fact that it gets you back in the classroom and gears you up for what's to come. I would delay your application until you have met the hour requirements for the programs that you want to apply to and wait until you've completed the majority of retakes. Hope this helps!

I guess my biggest dilemma now is I may need to retake some core classes.  I graduated in 2003 and have been a scientist for over 12 yrs now.  I have desired to get into the medical field.  But excuses and bills later I want to go into PA.  My overall GPA and science are both over 3.4.  I havent taken the GRE and I dont have the HCE yet.  I just finished getting CNA cert. and now looking to start working in the field to gain experience and hours.  But with all of that I STILL may need to take some prereq courses because ive graduated over 10 yrs ago from college

@paadmissions,

As of now, that is the highest grade received. I am retaking A/P and Biology over the next year to get As in those. As for post-bacc work, that is my Respiratory Degree (associate degree). My post-bacc credit hours is 80 total right now (Respiratory and General chem courses I retook). I went through the RT program at a community college in the area due to the fact that I was working while in school. As for now, I am taking these biology courses at a local community college as well because it benefits my work schedule the best and it's easier financially. I know university grades are probably weighed heavier than CCs. I have talked to one admission counselor at a school I'm interested in. He said I will be competitive as long as I improve on these upcoming classes (why I am waiting until next year to apply so I don't waste my money). My main conern was if they did grade replacement for pre-reqs, or if they did it the CASPA way. I know my first two years of college is going to hinder me, and I know I will have to explain it in my essay/interview (if invited). Is there any other way to make my weak spot in my application any better?

Thank you again.

@mwb25 Thanks for your question. I think the weaker part of your application based on the info provided will be the prerequisite GPA. However, I would ask the following questions

• Main question to your question: Is that prerequisite GPA calculated with the highest grade received in those classes? For example, for our program we take the highest grade received in the course if you've retaken a course(s). However, some programs average the two grades together. I would definitely work on getting those grades up, in a consistent manner, before submitting your application.
  • Your post-bacc work...how many hours is that GPA based upon and where were those courses taken.

You may even want to go as far checking with the programs that you're planning to apply to to see if you would be competitive. If not, you need to ask if there are ways to improve or enhance your chances. Applying to PA schools is very time consuming and expensive so you want to try and limit the number of times you need to apply if resources are limited. Hope this helps!

@kentuckywildcat Thank you for your question. I'm guessing that those programs that don't have a firm GPA cutoff are more willing to consider a "turn around" story and see the upward trend  you've made. Factors that I think programs like that consider (from our perspective) are what classes you've taken (the sciences you've mentioned), how many semester hours you attempted in those semesters, did you challenge yourself with as many difficult courses in one semester that were possible, and then your performance.  We would also factor in health care experience and GRE scores. In your personal statement I would briefly address what you've learned since 2008, how you've matured (not that you've gotten 7 years older), and how the path that you're on will prepare you for PA school. You should be able to verbally communicate that in an interview as well. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions

I recently started back to school after originally starting in 2008 as a 17 year old. I had no clue what I wanted to do then (or at least didn't put forth the right amount of effort to do what I wanted) and jumped around to different programs from nursing to business to biology - so I have classes and electives everywhere.  That said, I also didn't put forth the best of effort and got B's, C's, and D's - including D's in A&P.

Like I said earlier, since I've started back, I've retaken A&P and received A's in the courses, and I'm working on the necessary chemistry and chemistry labs.  Fixing the grades in A&P obviously helps my GPA, but the original grades will still be on my transcripts - along with the new grades.  But I also have bad grades in things like accounting and business classes that are obviously not necessary for the PA program here.

The question is: how do these grades affect potential opportunities to interview and join a PA program?  My science courses will have good grades (originally or from retakes) but I will still have the lower grades in business/accounting.  Do programs look at it as a "turnaround story" or will these bad decisions 7 years ago affect my chances?

• Upvote 1