2020-2021 Application Cycle

I just wanted to share my stats! I find it comforting to share and hear about other peoples' backgrounds!

I am a first time applicant to PA school. Graduating this December. 

I am 21 years old. Turn 22 on July 16th, haha.

cGPA 3.83

sGPA 3.79

HCE: 2500 hours as pharmacy tech

PCE: 1400 hours as CNA

GRE 298 (I was VERY sick taking the GRE. MIGHT retake.) I found the GRE really difficult for me. I am shocked, too, because I usually do well with standardized testing!

Feel free to share yours! I know it’s comforting for me to hear and share stats!  Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, kayburt27 said:

I just wanted to share my stats! I find it comforting to share and hear about other peoples' backgrounds!

I am a first time applicant to PA school. Graduating this December. 

I am 21 years old. Turn 22 on July 16th, haha.

cGPA 3.83

sGPA 3.79

HCE: 2500 hours as pharmacy tech

PCE: 1400 hours as CNA

GRE 298 (I was VERY sick taking the GRE. MIGHT retake.) I found the GRE really difficult for me. I am shocked, too, because I usually do well with standardized testing!

Feel free to share yours! I know it’s comforting for me to hear and share stats!  Good luck everyone!

Second time applying. I am 28, 29 next month. This is considered old to PA schools when it comes to your courses so keep an eye on that haha. Starting to retake older courses in order to be able to apply to more schools that have a 5-7 year cut off.

cGPA 3.51

sGPA 3.46

HCE: 2600 hours as an MA, 1040 hours as a PT Aide, 4160 hours as a strength and conditioning coach/personal trainer at a small privately own gym (not a chain).

PCE: 13000 hours as an athletic trainer. (5 years at the same high school, helped to build a robust sports medicine program that was lacking in policies, procedures, etc)

GRE: 300 on the nose twice, but same here did not do great even with more studying and a retake (my math is atrocious). Thankfully more schools are looking at candidates more holistically.

LORS: 1 Professor/Program Director, 1 Manager of Outpatient Orthopedics (my current manager), 1 MD Head of Orthopedic Surgery,  2 PAs - 1 Chief PA of Orthopedics,  1 Senior Ortho PA/Clinical Education (aka she is the smartest human I know)

Volunteer: 100 hours of delivering meals to families in need and medical volunteering at the Boston Marathon and other major races.

COVID Essay: I did fill out a COVID essay to explain how I continued to work during the pandemic directly with COVID patients on in-patient floors for 3 months during the height of the cases here in Boston.

Shadowing PAs: 200 hours in various environments. Orthopedics, ED, oncology, surgical oncology, thoracic surgery.
Shadowing MDs: 30 hours of clinic and surgical observation in orthopedics which also included observing PAs.

Leadership roles as an AT:
- I served as the Children's Hospital Boston Liaison to my company. I coordinated surgical and clinical observation for our staff including ATCs and DPTs.
- Clinical Preceptor for athletic training student interns for two years. Helped to educate AT students in hands-on learning environment.

Leadership in college:
- Student Ambassador, gave tours and hosted prospective students to sit in on classes with me.
- Orientation Leader, assisted a group of 20+ new students during their first days at college by coordinating activities and outings around campus and off-campus.
- President of the AT Club during undergrad. Coordinated study groups, educational events, and info sessions for aspiring AT students. Coordinated a yearly cadaver lab for AT students to spend a whole day doing cadaver lab dissections and identification with prosected cadavers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...