Disciplinary action resulting in probation

Looking for advice. I was just notified by my attorney that the CA Medical Board has decided to take disciplinary action in the form of 5 yr of probation for my PA license. Without getting into the details I am very excited about this decision by the board b/c it really could have resulted in a suspension or revocation. My question is for anyone who has experience in this matter. I am hoping to apply for a license in another state as my family and I moved during all of this. How hard can it be to get a license in a new state while on probation in another? I have heard that in general, the new state will follow the suit with whatever decision was made with the original licensing state. Given that I do actually get a license in a new state, how hard is it to find a job while on probation with the board? Thank you in advance for any help in the matter 🙂

just make sure you report it

just had a PA apply for  a position that is likely going to loose his license as he was not honest with the other state.  Second violation showing ZERO integrity means life long loss of license.....

(nope we didn't hire him)

Beyond that live and learn

• Upvote 2

It was for a DUI. The offense was elevated to a felony due to the fact that there was an accident. There were no injuries at the time but the other party reported minor injuries after the fact. I have made enormous efforts in my rehabilitation and recovery. I have owned up to a substance abuse issue and have taken full responsibility. Everything that I have read thus far has shown me that most states will adopt whatever stance the disciplinary state has taken. I am coming from CA (one of the strictest states) and will be applying to a state in the south. My hope is that I will be able to get my license, find a job, and serve out my probation term in that state. Is this possible?

I definitely think you can come back from that especially if you have documented records of recovery.  Society is slowly changing how we treat people with a history of substance abuse since the opioid epidemic.  If you write a detailed letter with your application that is heartfelt describing your recovery and things you have done to make amends I bet you would be fine.

• Like 3

It is possible and relatively common. Especially for substance use issues.  BTW, congrats for this result, you have worked hard and overcome quite a bit.  I commented on your prior thread.  Any evidence that you have of rehabilitation and recovery is helpful and also, a licensed and experienced attorney in your new location is a must.  Do not exclude substance use programs in looking for your new position, or PA education programs; other non-traditional roles.  Contact the substance use caucus of your new state’s PA and medical organizations as well.  Network extensively.  

• Like 1