no surprise, emr's really are inefficient

It sounds like the article is all about how the EMR technology need to catch up with the current needs. I agree that "modern" EMRs pale in comparison to the way other communication devices/interfaces work.

Having used an EMR for about 7 yrs now I feel that it is an invaluble tool for management of inpatients. Don't know how ED and outpt functionality, but the immediate availability of patient info/Hx/meds/demographics etc is a big part of avoiding unecessary treatment, medication interactions etc.

It sounds like the article is all about how the EMR technology need to catch up with the current needs. I agree that "modern" EMRs pale in comparison to the way other communication devices/interfaces work.

Having used an EMR for about 7 yrs now I feel that it is an invaluble tool for management of inpatients. Don't know how ED and outpt functionality, but the immediate availability of patient info/Hx/meds/demographics etc is a big part of avoiding unecessary treatment, medication interactions etc.

they are a disaster in the e.d.

every visit, regardless of acuity, becomes 15 min of charting. takes longer to do the chart then see the pt and do the procedure. ridiculous. every facility that I have ever worked at that switched to an emr had to DOUBLE staff to see the same # of pts.

every visit, regardless of acuity, becomes 15 min of charting. takes longer to do the chart then see the pt and do the procedure. ridiculous. every facility that I have ever worked at that switched to an emr had to DOUBLE staff to see the same # of pts.

I have been a emr superuser in my prepa days and have a lot if experience in IT. I have used to date, 6-7 different emr programs. My opinion is that there should be ONE universal system where information can be securely shared with EVERY provider. We started a new practice where most of our patients are coming from an IPA that used epic. Although the IPA allows us read-only access to their files, it doesn't transfer over so I have to printout the last notes, rx list, labs etc. So i can hand enter or scan it into my system. When you have 20 new pts a day this kinda sucks and really bottlenecks productivity. Especially when I have a lot of elderly pts with multiple comorbidities. Not to mention my HIV pts.....with multiple comorbidities so entering them into the system makes for a lot of busy work.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I have been a emr superuser in my prepa days and have a lot if experience in IT. I have used to date, 6-7 different emr programs. My opinion is that there should be ONE universal system where information can be securely shared with EVERY provider. We started a new practice where most of our patients are coming from an IPA that used epic. Although the IPA allows us read-only access to their files, it doesn't transfer over so I have to printout the last notes, rx list, labs etc. So i can hand enter or scan it into my system. When you have 20 new pts a day this kinda sucks and really bottlenecks productivity. Especially when I have a lot of elderly pts with multiple comorbidities. Not to mention my HIV pts.....with multiple comorbidities so entering them into the system makes for a lot of busy work.

EHR isn't inefficient. Just the makers are too lazy to innovate. If all EHR worked liked google, wolfram alpha, or facebook (before timeline), it would be great.

Absolutely!

All too often the vendors sell the programs requiring clients to commit to a major investment of both finances and time and then once the data transfers to the EMR there is no turning back! Once on board with an EMR software, the status quo of the formating is about all that is expected.

I've been using an occupational focused EMR for the past 4 years and spend way too much time with our vendor providing feedback on glitches that they don't even know about. There seems to be a disconnect between the technology being innovative with

clinical needs.

During my frequent discussions with the EMR vendor,I've often thought that PAs would be a very valuable resource as a consultant to provide clinical feedback on software.

EHR isn't inefficient. Just the makers are too lazy to innovate. If all EHR worked liked google, wolfram alpha, or facebook (before timeline), it would be great.

Absolutely!

All too often the vendors sell the programs requiring clients to commit to a major investment of both finances and time and then once the data transfers to the EMR there is no turning back! Once on board with an EMR software, the status quo of the formating is about all that is expected.

I've been using an occupational focused EMR for the past 4 years and spend way too much time with our vendor providing feedback on glitches that they don't even know about. There seems to be a disconnect between the technology being innovative with

clinical needs.

During my frequent discussions with the EMR vendor,I've often thought that PAs would be a very valuable resource as a consultant to provide clinical feedback on software.

Absolutely!

clinical needs.

,I've often thought that PAs would be a very valuable resource as a consultant to provide clinical feedback on software.

the T-system emr(probably the only one I like but underutililized inmy opinion) has full time positions available for pa's in em to conduct interviews with clinicians regarding their product and help develop new formats.

,I've often thought that PAs would be a very valuable resource as a consultant to provide clinical feedback on software.

the T-system emr(probably the only one I like but underutililized inmy opinion) has full time positions available for pa's in em to conduct interviews with clinicians regarding their product and help develop new formats.

I saw a chiropractor's notes the other day. Handwritten, one simple 4-5 word line for each visit. Thirty visits on a half page documented. I know we can't do that in our world . . . but wouldn't it be nice if 1% of our visit was charting rather than 80%.

I saw a chiropractor's notes the other day. Handwritten, one simple 4-5 word line for each visit. Thirty visits on a half page documented. I know we can't do that in our world . . . but wouldn't it be nice if 1% of our visit was charting rather than 80%.

I haven't had the same frustrations as you have, E, in regards to EMR in the ED. I'm of the pro-EMR school of thought- if for no other reason than I can actually READ everyone else's notes from prior visits, and any consults done in the ED or during admissions. The frustration, to me, is outweighed by the benefits.

I haven't had the same frustrations as you have, E, in regards to EMR in the ED. I'm of the pro-EMR school of thought- if for no other reason than I can actually READ everyone else's notes from prior visits, and any consults done in the ED or during admissions. The frustration, to me, is outweighed by the benefits.

Archived