no surprise, emr's really are inefficient

I think some day there will be smart video, that simply captures the conversation and puts it (every word) into a note. So we just sit and talk and don't chart at all and all voice activated with intelligence in the software. "Hal (for you 2001 fans) prescribe six months of x." But this will be after I've been in the ground for a while . . . or maybe not. This computer program will probably be called "The Physician's Assistant."

I think some day there will be smart video, that simply captures the conversation and puts it (every word) into a note. So we just sit and talk and don't chart at all and all voice activated with intelligence in the software. "Hal (for you 2001 fans) prescribe six months of x." But this will be after I've been in the ground for a while . . . or maybe not. This computer program will probably be called "The Physician's Assistant."

when I can dictate 100% of my note into the emr in real time that will be a big step. currently epic allows for dragonspeak emr options but you still have to use their terrible format and start and stop at every *** in the text.

when I can dictate 100% of my note into the emr in real time that will be a big step. currently epic allows for dragonspeak emr options but you still have to use their terrible format and start and stop at every *** in the text.

Scribes + Epic means I interview a patient while never taking my eyes off of them except for the occasional mumble to the scribe "don't type that!" when the patient is rambling. It makes me tremendously efficient and gets me out close to ontime every shift. The scribes meager salary is easily payed by the massive increase in productivity they provide. We are adding them to more shifts as I type given their effectiveness. Without them I agree, EMR is inefficient in the ED. With them, not at all.

Pat

Scribes + Epic means I interview a patient while never taking my eyes off of them except for the occasional mumble to the scribe "don't type that!" when the patient is rambling. It makes me tremendously efficient and gets me out close to ontime every shift. The scribes meager salary is easily payed by the massive increase in productivity they provide. We are adding them to more shifts as I type given their effectiveness. Without them I agree, EMR is inefficient in the ED. With them, not at all.

Pat

our flow is not consistent enough to make scribes feasible. often they sit around playing on the internet making 18/hr out of our pockets. I also feel like I need to proofread and correct everything they write as I am signing my name to it so even when they type I save minimal time and actually lose money vs me doing the work right the first time. if they were free I might use one on the busiest shifts but at 18/hr it isn't worth it most days.

our flow is not consistent enough to make scribes feasible. often they sit around playing on the internet making 18/hr out of our pockets. I also feel like I need to proofread and correct everything they write as I am signing my name to it so even when they type I save minimal time and actually lose money vs me doing the work right the first time. if they were free I might use one on the busiest shifts but at 18/hr it isn't worth it most days.

Archived