NPs replacing Docs... not a good thing!

8 minutes ago, Cideous said:

I love how they only mention replacing them with Nurse Practitioners.....

We are losing the battle folks....I'm telling you....LOSING THE BATTLE.

Can’t be loosing the battle when not even fighting. Until very recently AAPA refused to even consider repeated requests for title change and updated practice laws, preferring to set on sidelines. Even now I’d hate to guess how many PA’s still don’t feel it is necessary to do anything differently. Rather than loosing, PA’s have been gracious hosts holding the door for others. I go back to previous incidents when PA’s we’re pretty much given opportunity to be independent in the VAMC and said no thanks, let NP’s do that, we work as Assistants. I’ve also mentioned Virginia PA’s being on legislation when NP’s were working to gain independence , again turned down opportunity to be part of that legislation. 

• Upvote 1

I saw this coming over twenty years ago, when ARNPs started to differentiate themselves as a tier higher than PAs and as nurses, such as my wife, started to move into health care system administration roles (beside nursing directors). There was also the strange culture (in my opinion) in the AAPA back then, which I never understood,  that was resistant to change.

As an example, it was twenty years ago when one of my patients (politically active RN) pointed out that in the Mayo System,  the official policy was that MDs, DOs, Chiropractors, AND ARNPs can sign FMLA paperwork. The policy added, that medical assistants, nursing assistants and PAs could also sign it if any of the previous named people (including ARNPs) countersigned it. I was really upset and sent out an email to the 50+ PAs that this is a very important issue and I will take the lead in addressing this at the highest level. Then, strangely, I got a personal email from one of those PAs who happened to be the president of the Minnesota Academy of PAs. It was a threatening letter telling me that I better watch my back because he did not authorize me to get involve and he could cause me "professional damage" if I don't back off. It was one of the most bizarre things I had encountered in my career. I saw him about a year later in the Mayo gym and he asked me, "Does that FMLA thing still bug you?"

I'm glad things are different now, but there is a lot of catching up.

• Upvote 1

I find this line to be inflammatory:

At first it was disbelief. We felt a little broadsided. We absolutely were not expecting to hear that at our staff meeting," the physician said. "Our next thought was about patient safety."

So...not a thought about being summarily fired? Breach of contract?  Potential lawsuit?  They were worried about patient safety?  Maybe they all had large savings accounts, I guess, but their focus of this statement seems designed to make regular people to get riled up.

”I got hit by a car, but all I could think about was feeding my cat, and not my ruptured spleen”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So now that these clinics are staffed by NPs, is it going to be cheaper for patients to go there?

Nope.

Which means that patients are going to bypass those clinics and go to clinics staffed by MDs.

Patients will see NPs over MDs if they are cheaper or the MD is not available.  But that's not what's happening here.  It's a pure money grab by the hospital, but the hospital doesn't plan on sharing those cost savings with patients.

Bad move.