24/7 Coverage, Call pay

Hello Everyone, 

I currently work at a large academic center, primarily doing bedside procedures( Port removals, Paras and LPs We currently work 4 10s, and rotate weekends( Total of 9 APPs int he group).   Our hospital will be requiring our group to cover the hospital 24/7, they  requesting our input on what overnight coverage would look like. We are paid hourly, receive overtime and also receive evening/weekend differential.  Our group is proposing the following,

1. Hire additional FTEs so we can  work 3 12 hr shifts, night differential  including a unit differential for $10,000( this is currently offered to other APPs who work the overnight shift. It will take about 7-8 months for credentialing and training at our hospital. 

2.  One day a week one provider will work from 8am-9pm ( Since this will be 3 hrs of overtime reg shift is 8am-6pm ) After 9pm we would need to be on call ( currently the institution pays $3.00 hour to carry the pager, this is very low especially since it will be overnight call.  My concern with this option is work life balance and if we are working the following day this will be exhausting. 

What are some of your experience with call pay? any suggestions will be appreciated.

Organize and fight/push back HARD

this is just taking advantage of you all

call is min $100/day

if you come in it should be double time.  

$3 per hour is insulting 

this is being motivated by the docs whom are likely paid in the $200/per hour range just not wanting to come in. (On call sucks). 

$100 to be on call

Double time if called in 

THREE hour min pay if called in (6 hrs of straight time pay)

this means if you are on call, get called in, you will get $100 call pay, about 350 in hourly pay for 450$.    This is fair.    $3/hr is just an insult 

last job I got $40,000/year for telephone call only (on call 345 days)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:48 AM, ventana said:

Organize and fight/push back HARD

this is just taking advantage of you all

call is min $100/day

if you come in it should be double time.  

$3 per hour is insulting 

this is being motivated by the docs whom are likely paid in the $200/per hour range just not wanting to come in. (On call sucks). 

$100 to be on call

Double time if called in 

THREE hour min pay if called in (6 hrs of straight time pay)

this means if you are on call, get called in, you will get $100 call pay, about 350 in hourly pay for 450$.    This is fair.    $3/hr is just an insult 

last job I got $40,000/year for telephone call only (on call 345 days)

I could not agree more or said it better.  $3/hr is literally a joke and you are right to be concerned.  Being on call just sucks period.  You can't plan anything, will have a "response time" built in and if you work the next day you will be beat tired.

I second everything Ventana suggested.

• Administrator

The last time I took call was in IT.  I got 25% of my hourly pay for just being on call, 2 hours to answer a phone call on top of that, 4 hours or actuals if called in.  So... 32 hours of extra pay for being within 45 minutes of the site, not drinking, and often more than that.  Mind you, this was just for system administration work; no one called me for routine labs. 🙂

In my past life in corporate IT I was salaried, so no on call pay nor any additional compensation if I was called (other that some informal comp time).  However, the non-exempt people who worked for me got a minimum of 1 hour pay if called on the phone or the actual time spent.  If called in, they got a minimum of 4 hours pay.  No actual "on-call" pay.  I'm EM, so I'm blessed with either being on duty and paid or off.

1 hour ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

In my past life in corporate IT I was salaried, so no on call pay nor any additional compensation if I was called (other that some informal comp time).  However, the non-exempt people who worked for me got a minimum of 1 hour pay if called on the phone or the actual time spent.  If called in, they got a minimum of 4 hours pay.  No actual "on-call" pay.  I'm EM, so I'm blessed with either being on duty and paid or off.

some em groups have call for sick leave, surge plans, etc

A good rule of thumb that I was given when I first got out of school and was choosing among different jobs.... call contract (if possible) should be negotiated separately. Understandably, in your case there are so many moving parts to what is happening around you that it’s different than a new hire negotiating. In my case, the employer requesting me to do call had already compartmentalized the different aspects of the offers (there was a component of call, inpatient, and clinic work... all presented and negotiated separately). So that’s how it should be done if possible. This was a while ago, but my recollection was the clinic was salary, the inpatient was hourly, and the call was a hybrid of some fraction of the hourly wage of the inpatient portion, and then paid through the 48 hour weekend. Telephone only, but I’d have to come in to sign any paperwork generated from orders like restraints (which require prompt observation if still in place, or else physically signed orders within a certain period of time regardless). Weekday call was the same formula, but less hours because it just covered through the night. Not counting incidental coverage of a provider who could have me cover a vacation or illness (which would be rare due to them planning ahead or working call through their illness), just my scheduled call time alone would come to over $20,000. It might seem high to some considering call is often foisted upon people without much additional wage increase, if at all. To me it was a bit low considering the time commitment and the comparison to the overall wage package the physicians were certainly generating for themselves. But had I taken it, I wouldn’t have looked that gift horse in the mouth. Having it laid out all separately like that was helpful to me, even though it was all part of one job offer. I didn’t get the sense that much of the individual parts were very negotiable... they seemed very satisfied with their offer. I imagine that it gives an employer more control and opacity to try to lump everything together, but these folks didn’t seem to care. It could have been that it was legally required to do so I guess, but we didn’t talk about why it was this way for them.

I took a job that didn’t ask for call and paid less. Call sucks. It wasn’t the only part of the job offer that I didn’t love, but it was perhaps the biggest.

• Upvote 1