PTO during resignation notice period?

My contract requires 90 days resignation notice period. I have legitimate reasons for PTO days I need to take during my resignation period (about 4-6 days), would it be frowned upon to take those days within my notice period?

They might not be happy but that shouldn’t preclude you for applying for it, especially if it’s less than or equal to one-fourth of your annual PTO allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrator
1 hour ago, flanisajelly said:

would it be frowned upon to take those days within my notice period?

Who cares?  Take all the PTO you're entitled to.  It's a negotiated benefit; you EARNED it.  Whether they like that you're going to be taking it during a notice period isn't particularly here nor there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I worked for an ENT practice in Houston that once you tendered your resignation you no longer could use your accrued PTO time.  I lost over $8000.   You could tell when someone was getting ready to leave because every week they would start taking days before announcing they would leave.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TWR said:

I worked for an ENT practice in Houston that once you tendered your resignation you no longer could use your accrued PTO time.  I lost over $8000.   You could tell when someone was getting ready to leave because every week they would start taking days before announcing they would leave.

State specific...but some states require "accrued" PTO to be paid out as income if someone leaves (regardless of the situation).  Therefore, I am ALWAYS a fan of accrued PTO compared to a PTO bank.  I'm sure some states require all PTO to be paid out, and others that don't require anything, but MI does require an employer to pay out accrued PTO (not banked PTO...ask me how I know...ugh).

• Upvote 1

This is a great question and has recently come up at my place.  I advise people to take any and all PTO *BEFORE* they put in their notice.  Why?

1.  If you put in your notice there is a distinct possibility that they will not let you take PTO forcing you to "call in sick" or the like.  Not a good scenario for anyone involved.

2.  Many companies are moving towards a concept of "gifted PTO".  This is a new designation that removed the "earned" designation.  Basically, they are saying you don't earn PTO anymore, it is gifted to you.  This lets your employer choose to not let you roll it over to the next year, refuse to let you take it based upon the "needs of the company", or just cancel it at any time.  If you put in your notice there is a super good chance they will refuse to let you take it.

Hence, burn it all before your notice.