Patients Seeing PA vs MD

Hi everyone! I'm actually a pre-PA student who applied this cycle. I am just wondering to those who are practicing PAs: Have you ever experienced situations in which the patient does want to see a "real doctor" over the PA? I've definitely heard about this happening and I know it will likely happen, but I want to see how you usually deal with situations like that. Knowing that a lot of patients may not understand the role of PAs, or maybe even a doctor not really understanding, have you ever felt disrespected for your knowledge and training and how did you go about that as well? 

It happens, especially for the practice’s senior patients who started coming here when there were no PAs in the practice. Now, not so much. If the doc is around and the patient asks, we’ll have him stop by to say hello to an old friend at the end of the visit.

Over time, patients more often start asking to see us. It’s a vote of confidence that we earn by building rapport and successfully treating old issues.

Same as the doc did before we came here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The P.A. I scribe for had this happen a few weeks ago. When he was told that the patient wanted to see a MD he went to introduce himself, gave his credentials, and offered to help the patient with his problem. When rebuffed he accepted the patient’s choice and went back to work. Apparently it was the first time he’d had it happen in decades.

• Upvote 1