2019-2020 Application Cycle

23 minutes ago, Kdean said:

A question for any of the prospective or current students. As of now I've applied to 13 schools, my CASPA was verified beginning of June. My stats are as follows. GPA- 3.12, GRE-303, over 6,000 hours HCE as an ER tech and MA, over 200 shadowing a PA, excellent letters of rec.  I would like to apply to this school but after realizing my extreme downfall with my GPA being much lower than others I've seen, I'm becoming discouraged. My freshman year I had a couple Cs and a D which I would mentioned in the supplemental, since then its been all As and few Bs. 

I would love extremely honest brutal answers, I need to strengthen my application where I can. I'm 29 and a couple of my science courses are 10 years old as of this year, making this probably my last year applying (my 3rd cycle) unless there's something I'm missing that I can do to increase my chances. 

Methodist was one of my top schools to attend but now I am realizing I may never get into this profession if I don't drastically change something. It's not super feasible for me to retake a couple classes while working but I will do anything I can. 

From my personal experience and what I've heard from others who've been accepted to and/or attended the PA program, Methodist really looks at the applicant as a whole. You have a good GRE score and a great amount of HCE and shadowing hours. I'd say your biggest weakness is your GPA, however, it still meets the program's minimum requirements. Also if your transcript shows an upward trend in your grades and if you did well on the prerequisites then your GPA might not be that big of an issue. With your stats and if your recommendations are excellent like you say, I would definitely apply. The worst that can happen is you don't get accepted, which in that case I would suggest retaking any prerequisites you did poorly in, take a couple of upper level science courses and do well in them, and do some volunteering if you haven't already done so. My application had its weaknesses, but I received an interview and was accepted, so you never really know unless you apply. Keep in mind that they do operate on rolling admissions so if you're interested in the program you should apply sooner than later. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 11:38 AM, crcrown said:

Anyone know if they have any more interview dates left or if class is full?

I doubt the class is full, even if it's close - previous years' threads indicate interviews usually occur monthly until at least Nov/Dec (last year), and there were interviews all the way up until January and February in 2017 and 2018. Also, I'm not sure what the stats are as far as people getting off the waitlist at Methodist, but many people who have already been accepted to Methodist are still interviewing at other schools, meaning there will likely be seats to open up in the program. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...