Sign in to follow this  
kuzya4236

Central New Jersey – Pain Management – New Grad

Monday to Friday 9-5. No weekends.

But I’ve shadowed on Monday and they usually stay late. When the doctor is there the work seems very secretarial. Calling about results a lot of the time from what I’ve seen. There’s a PA there that’s been there for 3 years and even she seems to spend most of the time at the computer. But I will get to do joint injections and the standard pain management stuff.

Benefits: 80k + 10k signing bonus (repaid in full if I leave within two years)

Insurances Full

Licensing, DEA, and credentialing; Full

$750 CME

2 weeks paid for vacation and sick leave

1 week paid for CME

Malpractice Covered with No tail (but tail seems to be required) 2 Year, 15 mile non-compete (they have 3 offices)

Oh and they want me to start as an MA at $16/hr while my licensing is going through.

Pretty bad huh?

Pretty terrible.

The CME PTO, license/DEA and insurance are the only things remotely market rate in my opinion. 

Keep looking, you'll find much better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kuzya4236 said:

Actually just received a great offer from IR, so I'm lettiing this place go.. 

Awesome news! Congrats!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By shanmmull
      Hi everyone! I’m a new grad PA who just graduated a couple months ago and I’m primarily interested in GI, Family, or Hospital Medicine. A PA who I used to shadow in Thoracic Surgery reached out to me and asked for my resume and I thought, what the hell, I’ll give it a shot and see what this job is about. I just had an interview for this Thoracic surgery job and the team is willing to give me great training as a new grad. It seems great, but I’m not crazy about surgery and don’t have much procedure experience. They haven’t given me an offer yet, but I’m concerned that I won’t know what to do if they do. Should I hold out and see if I get an opportunity in specialty that I really want?  Part of me worries that if I turn this down another opportunity won’t come along...as I’ve already applied to about 15 different places the past month but haven’t heard anything back. Also how long is appropriate time to ask for before accepting an offer? 
    • By futurepa777
      Hi,
      I graduated in december 2018, passed the boards, got my license, but have been struggling to find a job as a new grad. Everyone wants at least 2 years experience, no matter big name or no name or wants an NP. Now 6 months out of school with loans about to kick in I'm getting discouraged, but have too much of a debt burden to move out of state. The gap since graduation has started to come up in interviews as well and I anticipate it will only get worse. Any tips or leads? I've contacted old precptors,  have an updated linkedin account and actively apply daily, but just curious if there are any other strategies people used as a recent grad.
      Thank you!
    • By PAC1234
      Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input. 
      I am renegotiating my contract at a FP location in WV. I have been here 3 years. Was hired in 2016 with a 3 year contract. I was hired as a new grad and started at a base salary of $80,000 with $1000 pay raise yearly for 3 years. I have a bonus structure of 25% bonus of receipts over 28,000 monthly.
      Benefits: 401K match, paid health insurance, disability, malpractice, $1500 CME, 25 days PTO as well as major holidays off. I do take call via phone 1 out of every 6 weeks but it is built into my salary. 
      New contract offer is for 5% raise yearly for the next 3 years: so starting in June my salary would be $86,100, then 90,405, then 3rd year 94,925. Would keep same benefits and bonus structure. 
      I know the salary is a little low for the average but since my office pays my husband and I's health insurance (around $12,000/yr) I feel like I can't press much more. 
      Just wanted to see what others thought before we have an actual sit down meeting about it. 
    • By adkhiker92
      Hello everyone, I am a graduating PA about to start my first job in EM and Trauma. I have accepted an offer but have yet to sign the contract. Upon my initial offer letter, they sent me a sample contract. Having multiple eyes run through it, including someone who was a former physician recruiter, some concerns were raised. The verbatim contract line of issue will be below this. The issue was primarily that Base Salary could be increased OR DECREASED based on many factors such as productivity, admin policy, and hospital financial performance. I directed these questions to my recruiter who then had the Director of EM and Trauma call me and discuss these concerns. In our conversation, it was stated that "Base Salary for EM and Trauma employees will NEVER be DECREASED based on any of the above items, the only thing that is affected by those factors are incentives, which in itself, will rarely be decreased. Essentially it will never serve as a 'punishment', only incentive to be an effective employee. Also anything I stated in your offer letter pretty much trumps the contract in that sense." The mistake I made was having only verbal confirmation here and do not have it in writing anywhere and I have not gotten an answer back via email about that. Even after the phone conversation the contract still reads the same and if it's not in writing it didn't happen.
      Should I send the contract back with an addendum stating the preferred changes based on phone conversation or how should I go about handling this?
      Contract Line Of Concern:
      "Adjustments to Base Salary, if any, will be determined at X's sole discretion; however, your initial Base Salary will not be reduced until after two years of employment. Beginning with the third year of employment and at X's sole and absolute discretion, Base Salary may be increased or decreased during your employment. When considering adjustments to Base Salary, X may consider a number of factors including, but not limited to, the results of your performance reviews, productivity, X's salary administration policy, and X's financial performance. Any Base Salary adjustment made as the result of an annual performance review will be effective on the date specified by X. Nothing in this paragraph limits X's discretion to make adjustments to Base Salary at a time other than in connection with an annual performance review, with such adjustments taking effect immediately"
    • By isoconfidence
      Hi guys, I hope to see if I can get any guidance about my current situation.
      I am a new-to-practice PA and started my job in CT surgery in February of this year. I graduated in August of last year. I am working in inpatient cardiac surgery and am currently still on orientation, but I am feeling quite overwhelmed and starting to wonder if this is not the right opportunity for me to have taken on as my first job out of school. To provide some background, the team I work on is 95% NPs, 5% PAs. The team is predominantly comprised of NPs that have had years of experience working on either the cardiac surgery floor or in the surgical ICU prior to becoming NPs. There is another new-to-practice PA that came about a year and a half before me, but I am the second new-to-practice PA that they have taken a chance with hiring. There is one other seasoned PA who has prior experience. I say "taken a chance with hiring" because the new-to-practice PA that had come before me was the trailblazer in that my manager was testing the waters to see whether new grads would be able to make it on this floor. PAs are typically in the OR for CT surgery where I work. The new-to-practice PA was on the verge of leaving but was encouraged to stay with the promise of an extension to her length of orientation (from 3 months to 6 months) and with her demanding that changes be made to how orientation for any future new-grad PAs be handled.
      I am currently being mentored by the seasoned PA, as well as another seasoned NP. I take three of their patients (typical patient load for a provider is about 😎 and they try to follow behind me so that we can address aspects that I am missing. While there are some opportunities during the day to talk through some topics, oftentimes the rigors and rounding schedules of the floor only allow for us to touch base briefly and intermittently. There are no residents or fellows on the floor, so it is only the team of NPs and PAs that are running the show while the surgeons are in the OR. Because of this set-up, there is very minimal addition of new knowledge within this team. There are no lectures to attend to ensure that we are practicing evidence-based medicine, each surgeon notoriously prefers different styles of practice based on their training and experiences that is un-Google-able, and I feel that my main sources of learning rely on what I can try to teach myself at home and what my mentor can offer in the limited time that we have during the work day for teaching. I feel that being so many months out from graduation, I am trying to find my way to regain and effectively apply all the knowledge I once had from school into my new role as an inpatient provider, while also trying to learn cardiac surgery, a specialty I had been minimally exposed to during school/rotations. I find myself leaving work feeling completely defeated by how inefficient I am with having managed only three patients (though complex patients) that day, with my head feeling full of everything from navigating the EMR system, to putting in orders for medications that I now need to know the dosages and frequencies for, to remembering the information that my mentors had offered me that day, to remembering how to clinically manage patient conditions instead of managing pretend patients that had once been in non-real-life-threatening multiple choice formats, to realizing that not only the surgeons differ in their practices but the NPs and PAs differ as well.
      My mentors are frustrated because it seems that I do not remember some topics we discuss, and while I can understand where their frustration is coming from I feel like I am drowning to try to keep up with absorbing all these things that are all new to me. I try to jot down notes whenever they say things, but there is not very much opportunity to ask why certain things are the way they are, nor are there always reasons why they are. Because of this, my memory feels like a "snapshot" memory and I am finding it difficult to then apply what I am being told to another situation that may be similar in the future. While I try to return home with what brain power I have remaining to review what we have gone over, there are ultimately gaps in my knowledge because there may have been aspects that I was not able to jot down quickly enough, or that I maybe didn't understand fully when the factoid was told to me in an isolated incident. I also find myself planning to research a whole laundry list of topics of confusion to find myself going down a deep rabbit hole just to feel like I have grasped the topic, only to find myself not making my way efficiently through my topic list and then returning to work and finding more topics of confusion. In the midst of my mentors' frustrations, it has now reached the point where I am afraid to ask questions because I am afraid that my mentors will say "we've already gone over this" when I truly do not recall it or when I only vaguely remember them saying something about that question but not in an in-depth way. I feel like they think they're being crystal clear and that the things they are telling me should be easy to remember the next time, and I wish I could ask them to be patient with me because it is a lot to digest. My manager's only consolation was "well in your interview you knew that this was not going to be a teaching floor," and I just wish I could find the voice to reply that even though I expected this to be hard, it doesn't make this any easier.
      I dread going to work and it's very difficult for me to gauge whether this is simply a new grad experience, or if this is an opportunity that was not meant for me right now when factoring in my new grad status and the resources and environment that I currently have to get my footing as a new grad. My confidence and self esteem are in the dumps because I feel like an idiot that can't remember anything from school, let alone remember anything about CT surgery to make my mentors feel that I am making adequate progress as I approach the end of my third month on orientation. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More