salty taste in mouth

Dysgeusia always makes me think of zinc deficiency first (thank you Dr. Goljan).  I think GERD is a plausible explanation.  As would be DM, although you said his labs were normal.  Has he had gustatory testing done?  Maybe he can try to improve his oral hygiene?  Any xerostomia?  How's his sense of smell?

This may be a weird thing to ask but what kind of flatware does he have at home?  Sometimes using metallic flatware can leave an altered taste in the mouth.

I found one reference to Lyme disease and salty taste but am a tad skeptical as Lyme disease is fast becoming the chronic fatigue syndrome of the 21st century.

Another mentioned Alzheimers and altered taste.

I have read references to altered smell predicting Parkinson's Dz - cannot stop the progression but retrospective analysis found it to happen 4-5 yrs before clinical sx.

Another discussion of polyps blocking posterior nasal passages and blocking the taste/smell phenomenon.

Tongue cancer from smoking comes to mind but would hopefully be noticed in 2-3 yrs duration.

Does he chew on anything - pens, straws, a pipe, toothpicks - something that could cause this?

Can he smell coffee grounds with his eyes closed and identify it? Is his smell perception functional? He could "sense" salty but doesn't know how to differentiate. 

Halitosis?

Anxious to hear what develops.

no insurance

refusing tests

refusing MRI

I would send a nice letter to him recommending a Neuro consult - set it up for him, give him the appointment time......   sorry but purely defensive medicine at play - I have tried to help the uninsured in the past and most the time if has bitten me in that ars......

Archived