salty taste in mouth

I had a patient come in today for a salty taste in his mouth X 2-3 years. It's intermittent, he cannot think of anything that exacerbates it, or anything that makes it worse/better. He has tried cutting out all salt (no relief), and currently is trying to lose weight by eating more salad and chicken, and bypassing the local Micky D's. His last dental cleaning was 2 months ago (although his teeth still look a little grungy). He has a bridge in his mouth and only one porcelain filling, that's it. He is not on any meds, has no allergies, denies post nasal drip, and does not think he has been exposed to any toxic chemicals (he works in construction). He is generally healthy except he smokes 2 packs a day. He had a series of labs (chem panel, CBC, cholesterol, TSH/free T4, LFTs) and it all came back normal. He rarely drinks alcohol. His HEENT exam was normal. He has no LAD, his salivary glands are not enlarged or painful, chest is clear.

Other than an MRI of his brain or an ENT referral, any ideas? I was thinking of testing him for heavy metal exposure. But basically, I'm at a loss.:sweat:

Thanks TXPA23... he denied any trauma or known cause for the taste. Since he's had it for 2-3 years, is it possible for him to have a CSF leak that long? My SP thought there might be a problem with his kidneys, but his BUN and creatinine are normal.

I actually saw a mystery diagnosis on the discovery health channel where the patient was c/o salty taste for years before someone figured out that it was a slow csf leak. I have only seen it in trauma patients and tumor resection patients...But I have seen, and i know you have too, tons of pts with renal issues and none have ever c/o salty taste in their mouth.

I thought I remember learning about a patient once that had a like small hole that was leaking CSF fluid really slowly, that wasn't trauma or tumor related?... It might have been that Mystery Diagnosis episode, actually. Haha. Love that show.

The way the OP stated it, it didn't sound like to me that patient wasn't craving salt as much as he was having a salty taste in his mouth. To me those are different things that need clarifying.

Is he on any meds or supplements? Something that he only takes every so often?

I thought heavy metal exposure only caused hearing loss... ha ha ha! I crack me up...sorry, couldn't resist...

Clever, young Jedi.

I am reaching with the heavy metal tests.

Evan, he is not taking any meds. He takes a multivitamin every day.

Leeg: he does not crave salt. He said he liked a lot of salt but has cut back and it didn't change his symptoms.

A slow CSF leak could do it... I will have to try to convince him to pony up the $$$ for an MRI (he has no insurance--- of course).

Roman: boooooooooooooo that was soooooooo wrong. Funny, but wrong. And sometimes "it" isn't salty, sometimes "it" is sweet. I heard eating lots of pineapples does that. Don't ask me how I know this.

Ahhhhhhhhh this patient came back and is NOT happy. I told him about the things I have learned from this forum as well as from other sources. Started him on a PPI and gave him a b12 shot. I reiterated that I think an MRI is in order. He balked since he has no insurance. I am now trying to shop around for the cheapest MRI in the area. At this point, he thinks I'm an idiot. I'm frustrated because the elepahnt in the room is his 2 pack a day smoking, which he will NOT give up. And yet, he doesn't think it has anything to do with his disgeusia.

More suggestions?

I took care of a pt ONCE that had a four pack a day habit on my rotations. His legs in a dependant position turned black, I could find no pedal pulses. He looked at me and said "Marilyn, don't smoke." I told him not to worry. I envision a future where people who smoke are going to be embarrassed into quitting. Hopefully our gov will tax this so high that people can't afford them and people will be too lazy to roll their own.

Quote- Re: salty taste in mouth

If he was craving salt I would think adrenal glands. I wonder if it could still be overactive / underactive adrenal gland?

Clever, young Jedi.

I am reaching with the heavy metal tests.

Evan, he is not taking any meds. He takes a multivitamin every day.

Leeg: he does not crave salt. He said he liked a lot of salt but has cut back and it didn't change his symptoms.

A slow CSF leak could do it... I will have to try to convince him to pony up the $$$ for an MRI (he has no insurance--- of course).

Roman: boooooooooooooo that was soooooooo wrong. Funny, but wrong. And sometimes "it" isn't salty, sometimes "it" is sweet. I heard eating lots of pineapples does that. Don't ask me how I know this.

That's why I said in my reply " If he was craving salt..." I should have emphasized the word IF.

Update:

My SP suggested a nasal steroid spray, saying that what he smells, he tastes. OK. Done. Will let you know what happens. The patient is still smoking and no one seems to think that this is a contributing factor. Alas.

What he smells, he tastes? Does that mean you live on the coast? What about other smells/tastes?

Maybe look into a psych componant to his complaint...

before anyone laughs, stick with me now...

Perhaps he is embarrassed to seek care for his depression, anxiety, whathaveyou, and this off-the-wall complaint is his way of easing into asking for help... I had a patient last week who came in for a low-grade-fever and we spent 10% on her 98.9 F temp and 90% talking about her kids having a rough time accepting her cancer diagnosis...

Archived