This makes me want to vomit.

These are the stories I save for later. This is a shocking abuse of position and, when physicians want to toss out some anecdotal nonsense to explain why we need to be watched closely, I use these stories. It seems the "lowest common denominator" argument is only comfortable when it is on someone else.

In Tennessee, a doctor who branded himself the “Rock Doc,” allegedly prescribed dangerous combinations of opioids and benzodiazepines, sometimes in exchange for sexual favors. Over the course of three years, prosecutors say he prescribed nearly 500,000 hydrocodone pills, 300,000 oxycodone pills, 1,500 fentanyl patches and more than 600,000 benzodiazepines.

This "doctor" is actually an NP. He should charged for misrepresenting himself as a physician in addition to all those crimes.

1 hour ago, SoCal_PA said:

This "doctor" is actually an NP. He should charged for misrepresenting himself as a physician in addition to all those crimes.

Some NP's are DNP's.  My predecessor actually walked around, introduced herself as "doctor" and had the nursing staff call her that.  While in the clinic.  I refer to her as "Ms" because in this setting, she is not the doctor people are expecting and she knows that.  They can say, "but I AM a doctor" but any fool knows that in a clinical setting a doctor means certain expectations.

I'm a pilot too, but I don't need to tell you it's only in Call of Duty?  Please.  Same goes with DNP.  You are a doctor, but it's only with nursing theory?

Did a bit of math on the one they listed as prescribing 1.7m pills in 24 months.  Assuming 22 working days per month (basically 5 days per week...every week, no vacations) and 30 patients per day that is just over 100 pills per patient.  Maybe for a pain clinic....maybe...pretty much any other area of medicine that is just ridiculous.

• Administrator
On 4/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, brandonhughey said:

DNPs calling themselves doctor in a clinical setting needa be slapped.

My outpatient IM preceptor was a DO who used to be a PT.  He was a hugely nice guy, and about the only time I ever heard him get mad was him listening to a voicemail from a DPT who called himself 'doctor'.... 

a few thoughts....

1) Doctor is not a protected term - there are many doctors in the world 

2) Physician is a protected word 

3) AMA should start a campaign to encourage PHYSICIANS cause the Doctor horse has already left the barn.....

I had to laugh my ars off when a new grad DPT tried to talk to be about a complex case and they introduced themselves as doctor.....  yeah was pretty funny

Anyways, back on topic

I honestly hope they take all their licenses away, and charge them with crimes....

I also hope the ANA and the AAPA use info like this to throw back at AMA when they say we practice inferior medicine.....

On 4/20/2019 at 3:50 PM, rev ronin said:

My outpatient IM preceptor was a DO who used to be a PT.  He was a hugely nice guy, and about the only time I ever heard him get mad was him listening to a voicemail from a DPT who called himself 'doctor'.... 

I have to meet some of these DPT/DNP people you guys encounter who call themselves “doctor.” I have my doctorate in physical therapy and did my residency in orthopedics; I am proud of my credentials and I have never called myself that in a clinical setting. It’s frankly embarrassing. 

On a side note, I know a few PT-DO and PT-MDs who received a bachelor’s in PT back in the early 90s. I have gotten the impression that they’re threatened by the DPT; they’ll argue that the curriculum is the same when that couldn’t be further from the case. They’re still a PT but the training is not the same. 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, 2234leej said:

I have to meet some of these DPT/DNP people you guys encounter who call themselves “doctor.”

In all fairness, in ~8 years of clinicals and practice, that's the only one I've ever encountered, and that was just a voicemail to a PCP that went something like "Hey, Dr. X, it's Dr. Y over at somesuch physical therapy..."

As someone with a doctorate, I actually don't mind when pharmacists, dentists, optometrists, etc. use the term "doctor." Particularly in an appropriate setting. If anything, I am MORE bothered when chiropractors call themselves physicians. As others have stated on this board, the term doctor was never copyrighted or patented by physicians. The term physician should exclusively be held by MD/DOs. I have patients who refer to their providers as physicians, only for me to see the credentials and realize that they're seeing a chiropractor. How the MD/DOs let this happen is beyond me. 

Archived