Anyone work for an NP boss (clinic owner)

I just met a PA and MD that works for an NP at a small family clinic. The NP owns the clinic and sets the rules for the clinic. Apparently the PA does MA type of work (rooms the patient and do vitals and blood draw) along with seeing patients, while the MD only sees patient and has an MA that does the other crap. If NP's gain independence in all 50 states and they start opening more of their own clinics will this become the norm? We PA's are told what to do by NP's. Are we okay with that?

At my last FP job one of the NPs is being groomed to be the practice manager of a relatively large privately owned family practice clinic and will be "taking over" at the end of 2019 when the current practice manager retires (non-clinician and wonderful lady).  Currently she is just over the APPs and reports to current practice manager. She is/was 90%+ of the reason I left that job and am now MUCH happier and lower stress in my current FP job...still new, but overall better feel and FAR less controlled substances.

Really a weird situation where the physician owners are the "bosses" and have board meetings quarterly.  NP reports to the physician board, but each individual physician reports to her for day-to-day business stuff, vacation, etc.  My old collaborating physician does not support this change at all and is working to retire as FAST AS HE CAN as he expects it is going to be nightmare.  Furthermore he is actually looking into how he can also be bought out of the practice by the other owners as he completely expects the practice to decline rapidly with the NP promotion.  This NP has driven away the top 4 producing providers (all PA/NPs) over the last 18 months, and I know of at least 2 more who are currently looking for other jobs.  As a result, collections for the entire practice have dropped almost 10%.

Amazing how one individual can change the culture and cause the significant decline of a VERY successful business in such a short time.

Honestly I have never meet an NP that I would want to work for.  I am not throwing mud or insults but I have to have a respect for you to work for you and the medical knowledge I have seen displayed by NP's does not rise to this level.  Honestly not many PA's have either.  As well only a few doc's for that matter.  It is about life long learning, and staying current, while also leaving the humanity in medicine and allowing patients to have a role in their medical decision. It is not just "I know best" but instead "I have this knowledge I want to share and together we can come up with a plan"

I honestly am unsure I would work for an NP, ever.  Would have to see the individual person.

5 hours ago, ArmyVetDude said:

This is exactly why we need OTP passed in all states ASAP. Even the playing field and not deal with some NP's running shi*!

Please correct me if I am wrong. I ask question on another thread, but also pertains to this one. If PA get OTP, it is not independence, still working in steam of some sort. Not like NP who can completely be on their own. Now if new legislation (such as wording in new California bill) states PA work in a team with physician, surgeon, or other “qualified health care provider”, technically NP could say they are independent qualified health care provider and basically be leader in PA required team. While OTP and title change imperative and wonderful step, ...

California needs to review wording, unless I am reading wrong or you may be NP assistant or QHCPA

As much as I hate corporate medicine - being a medical provider - MD, DO, PA, NP - does not imply business acumen or leadership capacity.

Going to work FOR someone has to involve respect, trust and a heaping load on the part of the boss/owner to know how to run a practice and business including laws, licenses and insurance.

In all my years I have yet to meet a physician owned clinic with successful ownership, leadership and longevity. Too many times a spouse or family member works in the practice -  favoritism is rampant and accounting is sketchy at best.

From a purely medical aspect - I don’t know any NPs in my world capable of business ownership or medical acumen that I would link with.

I wish my experiences had been different because corporate medicine sucks.

11 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I ask question on another thread, but also pertains to this one. If PA get OTP, it is not independence, still working in steam of some sort. Not like NP who can completely be on their own. Now if new legislation (such as wording in new California bill) states PA work in a team with physician, surgeon, or other “qualified health care provider”, technically NP could say they are independent qualified health care provider and basically be leader in PA required team. While OTP and title change imperative and wonderful step, ...

California needs to review wording, unless I am reading wrong or you may be NP assistant or QHCPA

You should discuss this issue with CAPA. Independence for NP's means that they can hang their own shingles like the previous poster said. They can open clinics, hire and tell us what to do, 

Legislative bulls**t is hampering us right now.  Any way overcome   any legislative hurdle that might impede us down the road, I am all for it

The only NP (or 2) that I have met that I would ever consider working for would never want to manage anything anyways. He was a great clinician and liked seeing and treating patients. He was not an online NP and actually had a few years as an ER nurse before NP school. And even though I worked with him in a state where NPs have full practice authority he never treated any of the PAs like anything less than peers, in fact all of the NPs at that organization were the same. It probably helped that being an urgent care they did not hire NPs or PAs who couldn't do the required procedures due to lack of experience.

Archived