Physician assistant opposition

Guest JMPA

I received this lovely email today, please comment as seen fit.

A bill to allow Physician Assistants (PAs) to perform fluoroscopy has been introduced in the New York State Senate by the Health Committee Chairman, Gustavo Rivera.

The New York State Radiological Society is opposed to S1812 (Rivera) due to patient safety concerns including inadequate physician supervision of a PA performing fluoroscopy both during clinical training and as part of their practice.

Please Call Sen. Andrew Lanza (R) at (518) 455-3215  to express your opposition to this bill. Please

Ask your Sen. Andrew Lanza (R) to tell Senator Gustavo Rivera that  S1812 Jeopardizes Patient Safety.

You can find talking points and background information on the PA issue at

Thank You,

Richard Friedland, MD, FACR

President NYSRS

On 1/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, JMPA said:

I received this lovely email today, please comment as seen fit.

A bill to allow Physician Assistants (PAs) to perform fluoroscopy has been introduced in the New York State Senate by the Health Committee Chairman, Gustavo Rivera.

The New York State Radiological Society is opposed to S1812 (Rivera) due to LOSS OF PHYSICIAN INCOME

Please Call Sen. Andrew Lanza (R) at (518) 455-3215  to express your opposition to this bill. Please

Ask your Sen. Andrew Lanza (R) to tell Senator Gustavo Rivera that  S1812 Jeopardizes Patient Safety.

You can find talking points and background information on the PA issue 

Thank You,

Richard Friedland, MD, FACR

President NYSRS

fixed that for you....

Physicians oppose everything related to non-physicians and they always drape "patient safety" over everything without a lick of proof.NY PAs and your state society should organize a call in campaign to Sen Lanza's office and Sen Rivera's and see if you can outnumber the calls from physicians.

One of my parents had videofloroscopy performed by Speech therapist.  No radiologist, only therapist, tech, and myself( I was allowed due to health of parent and a little professional courtesy) . Report was from Speech Therapist, may have been reviewed and cosigned by Radiologist, I don't recall, but definitely no radiologist even checked in during exam.  We actually discussed training and she said flouroscopy was not something they really learned  in grad school, but after becoming hospital therapist she was trained.    However, she was a Speech therapist, not  Speech "Assistant" as the Assistants are not allowed to perform that study.    Pretty sure no Speech, PT or OT assistants are allowed to legally evaluate/diagnose anything, only provide specified treatment under the direction of ST, PT, OT ....Yet another reason to eliminate the "Assistant"  Go Medical Practitioner!!!!

On 1/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, MediMike said:

Also, you may want to reset that link, looks like your personal info is still auto filled on there...

lol thanks

Archived