How would one go about moving to a different state no job offer?

Guest JohnT

Hypothetically speaking if you had a strong desire to move far away, how would you go about making it happen? Move out to the area first and then begin your search?

• Administrator

And whether or not you can get a license without a job already lined up.

It would be stupid to move into a metro area where there are already PA new graduates.  I have had people ask my advice on moving to Portland as a new grad  My answer? Don't!  OHSU and Pacific churn out a ton of new grads every year, so you're going to be competing against people who've rotated locally.

Find some contacts, make some calls, send some emails/letters, line up some informational interviews, save up some money and then visit for a week or two for reconnaissance. Don't just "up and move there."

Many years ago, one of my uncles wanted a job in the LA area. He had been stationed there during World War II and loved it. It probably had 1/100th the population then that it does now, little smog, and wonderful weather. What was not to love?

He thought about this heaven on earth often. So, in the mid-1960s, he sold his business and house, and headed out there with his family, their belongings following in a truck. Kind of the central New York state version of the Beverly Hillbillies (an old TV show; look it up on NetFlix). Mind you: my uncle had never been back to California since the war, he had no job lined up, and his family had never been there before.

As soon as they hit the San Bernardino County line, my asthmatic cousin went into status asthmaticus big time. He ended up in a hospital for an extended period. My uncle realized that LA had changed in 20 years and not for the better. The family returned to New York and he was a broken man for the rest of his life. 

Bottom line: Follow your dreams, but do some research first. (Hence the opening paragraph of this post.)

I went to PA school in Florida and moved back to California after. I had no medical connections in California. I started applying to jobs around graduation. Did 3 or 4 phone interviews. One of them led to a Skype interview. Then I did 2 in person interviews right after moving back to Cali (literally the next day) and got offered a good position in Ortho with good pay the day after. I took it and I'm still there 3 years later.

Just start applying around graduation, make sure to let them know you'll be moving there. Tell them when you plan to be there. It helps if you have a reason to be moving there (I'm from Cali and all my family is here so the practice knows your not just gonna pick up and leave after 6-12 months). Check LinkedIn, Indeed, AAPA, the state PA org website, even Craigslist. Good luck!

• 3 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 11:35 PM, AbeTheBabe said:

I went to PA school in Florida and moved back to California after. I had no medical connections in California. I started applying to jobs around graduation. Did 3 or 4 phone interviews. One of them led to a Skype interview. Then I did 2 in person interviews right after moving back to Cali (literally the next day) and got offered a good position in Ortho with good pay the day after. I took it and I'm still there 3 years later.

Just start applying around graduation, make sure to let them know you'll be moving there. Tell them when you plan to be there. It helps if you have a reason to be moving there (I'm from Cali and all my family is here so the practice knows your not just gonna pick up and leave after 6-12 months). Check LinkedIn, Indeed, AAPA, the state PA org website, even Craigslist. Good luck!

Did you do any rotations in california for your clinical year? Or did you stick with having all your rotations being done in Florida?

Archived